Kanye to The banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im in high school and my spanish teacher is fucking retarded and she likes to teach us about spanish music a lot, but to be honest she teaches us nothing. So today, we had this lincoln center guy come in to teach us more about spanish music. The first question he asks us is what music do we listen to that expresses some sort of emotion and how is it expressed. SO of course i rose my hand and gave this whole speech about 808s & Heartbreak...

I first said that it was an album by Kanye West and of course my teacher laughed and so did he. Then, I explained how Kanye only sings on this album through autotune to express sadness, rather than use it as a pitch correction tool. I also explained how the hard hitting 808 drum symbolizes a heartbeat and how the harder it hits the angrier or sadder it is. And I talked about how he uses a type of snare drum a lot that sounds like something tearing and I said that that symbolizes heartbreak and how he uses a lot of string instruments to give it a sadder tone at times.

In response, the guy writes "hard beat = anger" on the board. I was thinking wow thats all u fucking got from all that I just said when everyone else was saying bull shit things? Then he goes, "My music friends and I think of autotune as that whiny, annoying, robot voice" to which my teacher laughed. Then I go, "But Kanye used it to express sadness which is what your question asked me to explain." And he goes, "Yeah I see, and Kanwe (Yes he said Kanwe) has a nice voice anyway so he doesnt even need autotune," which was extremely sarcastic obviously.

Honestly, this guy's fucking job is to research music and learn about music. Why the fuck are people so goddamn ignorant when it comes to hip hop music or hip hop artists? I doubt this guy even knows what MBDTF is and its been considered the best album of the past decade by many.

Just wanted to blow off some anger. Thanks for reading if u did!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
the sooner you realize that the older generations (especially our parents) will not hear anything if you try to convince them that hip hop is quality music, the better off you will be
you might as well have the same discussion with a wall

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
KP said:
the sooner you realize that the older generations (especially our parents) will not hear anything if you try to convince them that hip hop is quality music, the better off you will be
you might as well have the same discussion with a wall
this

it sucks, but it's true :kanyeshrug: hes just paving the way for future hip hop artists i guess

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
we're all closed minded in some ways and you can't force others to open theirs up to see things through your eyes.

but i get your point, best thing is not to get too worked up about it. it's his loss if he doesn't want to even make an attempt to appreciate kanye's type of music.

·
Registered
542 Posts
research some classical shit and spit out all this information to impress him and say how much it means to you and how it speaks to you, and then be like, ALSO, and explain how kanwe means something to you too. it would at least impress him that you knew so much about music and maybe he'd still disagree with you, but be a little more open to conversation, and not be so close-minded

1 - 9 of 9 Posts