2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FSMH PT 1, 2
Famous
Feedback
Highlights
FML
Fade
All of these songs have the potential to be radio hits, but Ye deliberately avoids that and makes songs that he thinks fulfill their potential, let's analyze this. On FSMH, he separates the two parts into short songs, one were he starts with very NSFW lyrics and the other where he abruptly ends it with a mellow outro from Caroline Shaw, making them not very radio friendly. On famous, the hook is Rihanna singing over organs that sort of breaks up the song, of course there's the Taylor swift lyric and also two minutes in, the outro begins. All these things prevent a great song from being very radio friendly. On feedback, the last verse was very provocative, talking bout how he's a crazy genius, dissing PETA, calling out the police. All these things eliminated its chances for mainstream success. Highlights is one of the best hooks on the album, the only thing is the song structure is so bizarre and all over the place, it clearly wasn't supposed to be a traditional hit. FML could've also been a mainstream success with the melody in that hook, this is another song where Kanye is demonstrating innovative song structure that might take time to digest, but is still very good. It's innovative or at least different because it's hard to even tell what the first or last verse is and the outro is a great extension of the song, but very ominous. Lastly, in my opinion Fade had the biggest potential to be a huge hit from this album. It has that upbeat baseline that's very popular in today's hits. But the random input of the sample and the lack of lyrics from Kanye make it less radio friendly.

I think this was Kanyes goal, he wanted to make innovative music that people also loved. I think by making these songs the way they were made, the album is better than it would've been if it was more radio friendly. That's why I love Kanye, quality is his number one concern, not popularity and that's why he'll continue to be the greatest.

·
Registered
35,499 Posts
Tldr OP I'm sorry

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dwayne alt said:
stop making excuses
just accept that the songs flopped and keep enjoying them for yourself
I mean, not really. None of them were available for purchase which made their chart positions worse than they should've been. The album is still very popular.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He has even said multiple times that he doesn't want to make songs for the radio, but make songs that the radio adapts to playing.

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
It is strange. when i have the album on it FEELS like im listening to a radio friendly album, but at the same time it doesnt feel like one at all :dno: ill have moments where i go "oh this is a hit" then it abruptly shifts and destroys that feeling on purpose :mrkrabs:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dwayne alt said:
youre still making excuses. Stop it
You're acting like not having billboard hits for Kanye is a failure. This man is the third most streamed artist of 2016 and he's 38 years old. Stop hating.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
tpye4life said:
You're acting like not having billboard hits for Kanye is a failure. This man is the third most streamed artist of 2016 and he's 38 years old. Stop hating.
im not hating, you people are the ones acting like not having billboard hits equals failure. Stop bringing it to attention and enjoy the music. ENJOY THE MUSIC WHAT THE FUCK

1 - 20 of 71 Posts