Kanye to The banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my sophomore year of college, I transferred to Eastern Michigan University and I have been anti social so far my first semester. I play ball at the rec and I play for this flag football league but its flag so its kinda homo.... I really want to join a fraternity but I'm not sure how, or what fraternity or why..... I just want to feel apart of something.. Being a 3 sport athlete in High School I hung out with same guys since like freshman year so I just need some advice because my girlfriend isn't giving me any "Bromance" and I'm tired of hanging out with her friends... So I need some ideas
  :dno: :dno: :dno: :dno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :datass: :datass: :datass: :datass: :dno: :dno: :dno: :dno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :datass: :datass: :datass: :datass:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
joe said:
Sounds like you just want a close group of guy friends, and you're not really that interested in a fraternity. It just happens to be the most well known way to find a clique. I personally think fraternities are awful, but that's just me. Why don't you talk to the guys at the rec and flag football games? Try to hang out with them outside of sports? Join a club in something you are actually interested in?(you said you didn't know why you wanted to join a frat) 
I mean i do have some guy friends but not many, I just thought fraternity's were like the ultimate brotherhood type deal so I was like hey I would like that... I'm not sure why I want to join one but..why do people join anyway?
Yeah but have you been in a fraternity? Also how is Brooklyn? I would die to live in NYC

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
joe said:
Sounds like you just want a close group of guy friends, and you're not really that interested in a fraternity. It just happens to be the most well known way to find a clique. I personally think fraternities are awful, but that's just me. Why don't you talk to the guys at the rec and flag football games? Try to hang out with them outside of sports? Join a club in something you are actually interested in?(you said you didn't know why you wanted to join a frat) 
Id go with Joe on this one.. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but I think most frat guys are D-bags. You would be better off finding friends that mesh with who YOU are, instead of being thrown into a group of guys you dont know. Plus you have to do stupid rush week stuff, and pay to join.. Sounds like you already have an active life, just be more social. Ask some of the guys in the rec. center or on your football team if they wanna grab something to eat afterward or whatever.

Or meetup.com? Ive never found anything on there, but Ive heard it can be a useful site.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I am sorry, I was very general. I think what I ment to say is that  the frat guys who are d-bags, tend to be out in the public, giving the term "frat" a bad name.

I hear "Frat", I think of all the d-bag frat guys I see out and about.

·
Banned
85,044 Posts
Matt79d said:
I am sorry, I was very general. I think what I ment to say is that  the frat guys who are d-bags, tend to be out in the public, giving the term "frat" a bad name.

I hear "Frat", I think of all the d-bag frat guys I see out and about.
kanye west?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
joe said:
I'm from Detroit, so I'm familiar with all  things Michigan. I know a lot of people who went to EMU and are in frats, and some of them are not dbags, like mg248 mentioned. I have found though in my college experiences that it is a common occurrence for someone being a dbag and also being a frat. I don't think all the bs that can go into joining a frat is worth it if you don't even know why you want to join one, other than loneliness. Being around a bunch of people can still feel lonely if you don't feel a connection with them,

Brooklyn is wonderful. I can take the subway to the city,and it takes 5 minutes. I live in a pretty neighborhood,and I know my neighbors, and it is nice to feel like I have a community because NY can get lonely sometimes. I can't see myself leaving Brooklyn(or the greater NYC area) anytime soon. One of the reasons I transferred to a art school in NYC is to get away from the frat atmosphere that rules most colleges.
Really so are u still in art school? What school do you or did you go to school at? Ummm... Yeah I was going to go to CCS but the cost was way to high for my mom, so i decided to go to EMU, Im in Product Design now but I'm changing my major to Apparel in the Winter.. I guess because where in Michigan all the Product Design stuff is engineer based so, im hella confused in some of my classes right now... But I talked to the Apparel Designer guy and showed him my work and he was impressed... I came in 3rd in the Nike Future Sole contest this year for the Semi Finals and I really want to do footwear.. but to even get to this point its hard... You know, its tough finding research on the footwear industry unless you have a mentor or some one who knows the game.. I didn't even know what to major in until about my Senior year of high school people keep telling me different things you know?.... But dude Brookln sound phenomenal.... Im from Flint and it isnt anything to do.... Your lucky fam... How long you been in BK? What do you major in?....Sorry for asking so many questions lol.... and thanks for the advice. Its not that I'm lonely its like I just miss High School and the connection me and all m boys had I guess... Its hard o get that feeling back you know...Its hard when you dont know anyone at all

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt79d said:
Id go with Joe on this one.. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but I think most frat guys are D-bags. You would be better off finding friends that mesh with who YOU are, instead of being thrown into a group of guys you dont know. Plus you have to do stupid rush week stuff, and pay to join.. Sounds like you already have an active life, just be more social. Ask some of the guys in the rec. center or on your football team if they wanna grab something to eat afterward or whatever.

Or meetup.com? Ive never found anything on there, but Ive heard it can be a useful site.
I see where your coming from... I'm not from the city i'm in so other than my girlfriend I really dont know anyone...and because of my major alot of my classes are full of old manics, so its hard finding people who are interested in what I am. Also must people are assholes in general,  and everyone drinks and smoke all day or go to partys.. I know im in College but people just stay getting high or something, and im not for that. I never even smoked a cigarette... And parties and the club isn't my shit. I play ball and go to the movies or to Borders or to the mall to scout out chicks... I dont know dude the semester is half way over sooo hopefully it will get better in the Winter... Also because of my girlfriend. I didn't meet her on campus, we had like a graphics class in high school together, so I have know her for like 3 years, and its really hard to like experience stuff on my own, she is like always their, so i do alot of stuff with her... this my also be the problem....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
J O N E S  B E A C H said:
I see where your coming from... I'm not from the city i'm in so other than my girlfriend I really dont know anyone...and because of my major alot of my classes are full of old manics, so its hard finding people who are interested in what I am. Also must people are assholes in general,  and everyone drinks and smoke all day or go to partys.. I know im in College but people just stay getting high or something, and im not for that. I never even smoked a cigarette... And parties and the club isn't my shit. I play ball and go to the movies or to Borders or to the mall to scout out chicks... I dont know dude the semester is half way over sooo hopefully it will get better in the Winter... Also because of my girlfriend. I didn't meet her on campus, we had like a graphics class in high school together, so I have know her for like 3 years, and its really hard to like experience stuff on my own, she is like always their, so i do alot of stuff with her... this my also be the problem....
Ut oh! lol. Thats how life is man. In another thread, I mentioned that its tough to take a HS relationship and make it last long term. Once you get out of HS, your eyes are opened up to what all is out there. Seems like you need to make up your mind. It may just be as simple as talking to your girl, an expressing how you feel.

Do any of your girl's gfs have bfs that you get along with? (Sorry, confusing sentence)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt79d said:
Ut oh! lol. Thats how life is man. In another thread, I mentioned that its tough to take a HS relationship and make it last long term. Once you get out of HS, your eyes are opened up to what all is out there. Seems like you need to make up your mind. It may just be as simple as talking to your girl, an expressing how you feel.

Do any of your girl's gfs have bfs that you get along with? (Sorry, confusing sentence)
Nope... she hangs with two girls mainly.. One just bangs every guy out there, and the other one had a boy friend but he dumped her... I hate the one who bangs ever one because she lets guys use her... She isn't the most attractive so You know guys just hit it to be hitting something and she gets emotional attached and stuff, and all the guys wanted was some action, but she doesn't seem to underhand that i guess... so she just keeps banging guys? Then my girl hangs with these guys, Who i don't really like to hang with and I believe are suspect gay... they don't play ball, they don't watch the game, they just talk shit about people... like girls do... One is gay though... Hes flaming, but the other guys say they aren't, but they are mad suspect... like real suspect... So when she isn't with me shes with them and im either at the arcade thing or playing ball or just in my room waiting for her to come back....
Yeah but I love her to death.. like I'm really, really in love, so I cant see my self leaving her but I tell her this all the time and shes like " Yeah I'm not holding you back, do what you want" but I don't mean it in the way she thinks. You know its just real confusing...  I haven't made many friends really and if I go with some guys to play ball shes like you abandoned me.... Shes joking but I see whats shes saying you know... You have to read between the lines alot with girls... they speak in code lol....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Frat=Douche as a general rule.
Find other ways to get involved man, something I did when I went through the same thing was I started participating in clubs and activities. I love film so I joined a film club and I like the outdoors and travel so I started participating in the outdoor adventure workshops and trips, learned a bunch of new shit and got the opportunity to sky dive, travel to a bunch of neat places, ect. Or the best way to meet people is just try to spend a lot of time on campus and not at home or cooped up in your dorm, study in the library and you might meet a gorgeous girl. Just chill in the student center during downtime

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
joe said:
Yeah, I'm still in art school. I'm a junior. I go to The New School, in NYC. I am a double major:Fiction Writing at the liberal arts school,and Photography at the design school. The design school is Parsons,and it is a part of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design, which CCS is also a part of, so I am familiar. I've lived in Manhattan for two years, and I moved to Brooklyn three weeks ago. It's a welcome change from the fast pace of Manhattan.

That's interesting you are pursuing shoe design. My roommate just launched his shoe company. It's been a long process, but the manufacturing is almost done, and the shoes ready to be in stores. It really just depends on who you know. He was able to get contacts in China for manufacturing, he met people at school who would do the artwork for the shoes/t-shirts, and he knew people who would place his shoes in store windows. You should talk to him?
Dude that is so dope... Yeah man that would be dope to talk to your roommate. Have some one school me on the game and what it takes. Im really interested in that. Whats the big difference from Manhattan and Brooklyn? Also dude you must be banking to be moving and afford art school. I also would like to see some of your photography.. your probably extremely good... Tnanks for all of the advice and everything.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
J O N E S  B E A C H said:
Well this is my sophomore year of college, I transferred to Eastern Michigan University and I have been anti social so far my first semester. I play ball at the rec and I play for this flag football league but its flag so its kinda homo.... I really want to join a fraternity but I'm not sure how, or what fraternity or why..... I just want to feel apart of something.. Being a 3 sport athlete in High School I hung out with same guys since like freshman year so I just need some advice because my girlfriend isn't giving me any "Bromance" and I'm tired of hanging out with her friends... So I need some ideas
  :dno: :dno: :dno: :dno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :datass: :datass: :datass: :datass: :dno: :dno: :dno: :dno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :datass: :datass: :datass: :datass:
What did you end up doing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts