Kanye to The banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New age hip-hop has undergone a drastic transformation that fosters a much different genre of artists. From a lyrical standpoint, I feel rap has been watered down to catchy hooks and occasional one liners that define an entire song. Simply listen to some of todays most successful artists and their most recognized songs and you'll see what I mean. I am certainly guilty of endorsing and praising many of these artists who exhibit mediocre wordplay and lack lyrical creativity but truth be told, there aren't many artists putting out good music with an old school vibe to it.

Don't get me wrong there are several thriving artists that rarely disappoint (Kanye, Jay-Z, Common, Lil Wayne, Big Boi, etc) but of the new school rappers, few show promise in terms of making music that will be played in 5 years from now. However, in this ring of young MCs there is one that is slowly rising above the clout of mediocrity and may very well "blow up."

J. Cole's music hits hard. His talent is both in rapping and producing and he has managed to headline concerts throughout the country despite the fact that he is yet to release an album and has only officially released 2 songs (Who Dat, Lights Please). Drake and Nicki Minaj brag about this same accomplishment, musical stardom without an album, however both of them can accredit Lil Wayne for their rise to fame. J. Cole, although a protege of Jay-Z under Roc Nation Music Label, has made a name for himself…by himself. It took awhile for me to recognize J. Cole in such high regard but its no surprise why I'm so fond of him and why he is quickly gaining spotlight.

A significant amount of the music produced today is heavily electronically driven. Artists like Chiddy Bang and The Dean's List rely solely on pop-electronica beats and their success has influenced a electronic-crazy in the production world. J. Cole has managed to stay away from this by going over some classic beats [Shook Ones, 99 til Infinity, Dead Presidents, etc] as well as sticking to traditional means of making a beat (sampling, snares, LIGHT synths, etc…). This conventional approach has actually set J. Cole apart from most artists.

Lyrically, J. Cole's content has diversity and depth. From things like education reform and money, to days spent on the playground in the ville, his lyrics encompass a wide range of issues that pretty much everyone faces and/or can benefit from listening to. Unlike the redundant stoner rap we get from artists like Wiz Khalifa and Curren$y, J. Cole's music is both entertaining and substantial.

Lastly, J. Cole has the delivery. One can accredit J. Cole's witty lyricism to his college degree, ( graduated Magna Cum Laude from St. John's University) and production alone isn't really praiseworthy since just about anyone can dig up some 90′s beats to rap over. But to be able to deliver verses emphatically and with such fluidity is an undeniable talent. Enough rambling on my part, just download the f*cking mixtape.

12 track mixtape, J. Cole at his finest.
[/center]http://www.mediafire.com/?u1g6tqrfpziq3ps

·
Registered
37,386 Posts
J. Cole doesn't only "dig up some 90′s beats to rap over," he also produces a lot of his own stuff and the production is very praise worthy imo.

·
Banned
15,695 Posts
Kudzilla said:
New age hip-hop has undergone a drastic transformation that fosters a much different genre of artists. From a lyrical standpoint, I feel rap has been watered down to catchy hooks and occasional one liners that define an entire song. Simply listen to some of todays most successful artists and their most recognized songs and you'll see what I mean. I am certainly guilty of endorsing and praising many of these artists who exhibit mediocre wordplay and lack lyrical creativity but truth be told, there aren't many artists putting out good music with an old school vibe to it.

Don't get me wrong there are several thriving artists that rarely disappoint (Kanye, Jay-Z, Common, Lil Wayne, Big Boi, etc) but of the new school rappers, few show promise in terms of making music that will be played in 5 years from now. However, in this ring of young MCs there is one that is slowly rising above the clout of mediocrity and may very well "blow up."

J. Cole's music hits hard. His talent is both in rapping and producing and he has managed to headline concerts throughout the country despite the fact that he is yet to release an album and has only officially released 2 songs (Who Dat, Lights Please). Drake and Nicki Minaj brag about this same accomplishment, musical stardom without an album, however both of them can accredit Lil Wayne for their rise to fame. J. Cole, although a protege of Jay-Z under Roc Nation Music Label, has made a name for himself…by himself. It took awhile for me to recognize J. Cole in such high regard but its no surprise why I'm so fond of him and why he is quickly gaining spotlight.

A significant amount of the music produced today is heavily electronically driven. Artists like Chiddy Bang and The Dean's List rely solely on pop-electronica beats and their success has influenced a electronic-crazy in the production world. J. Cole has managed to stay away from this by going over some classic beats [Shook Ones, 99 til Infinity, Dead Presidents, etc] as well as sticking to traditional means of making a beat (sampling, snares, LIGHT synths, etc…). This conventional approach has actually set J. Cole apart from most artists.

Lyrically, J. Cole's content has diversity and depth. From things like education reform and money, to days spent on the playground in the ville, his lyrics encompass a wide range of issues that pretty much everyone faces and/or can benefit from listening to. Unlike the redundant stoner rap we get from artists like Wiz Khalifa and Curren$y, J. Cole's music is both entertaining and substantial.

Lastly, J. Cole has the delivery. One can accredit J. Cole's witty lyricism to his college degree, ( graduated Magna Cum Laude from St. John's University) and production alone isn't really praiseworthy since just about anyone can dig up some 90′s beats to rap over. But to be able to deliver verses emphatically and with such fluidity is an undeniable talent. Enough rambling on my part, just download the f*cking mixtape.

12 track mixtape, J. Cole at his finest.
[/center]http://www.mediafire.com/?u1g6tqrfpziq3ps

tracklist?​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Split You Up
Problems
Premeditated Murder
Serenade
Shook Ones Freestyle
Til Infinity
I Do My Thing
Song For The Ville
Show Me Something
Blow Up
Unabomber
Lights Please

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice post. I agree with everything besides Lil Wayne rarely dissapointing. You heard his last two albums?

·
Registered
67,057 Posts
Z__ said:
'Told my mama I'd make it happen and I found a way'
Why the fuck did you bump a three year old thread

1 - 15 of 15 Posts