Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an interview and it mentioned Kid A and it got me thinking about the similarities between the two albums. Since Kanye is a huge Radiohead stan, it's only fitting.

-Both albums were followed 3 years after critically acclaimed, genre defining, and popular albums(MBDTF,OK Computer)

-Both were met with critical acclaim but sharply divided fans over the new sound

-Both are electronic albums and extremely contrasted to the previous organic sounding albums(cellos,strings, all that shit on MBDTF, OK Computer-standard guitar, bass, drums)

-Both are gonna be praised by P4K(Kid A got a 10, Yeezus prolly gonna be 8+)

-No singles were released from both albums

-Both are GOATS

What you guys think? Think of anymore similarities?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The way I see it is; MBDTF = In Rainbows and Yeezus = The King of Limbs

Think about how late but still critically acclaimed Dark Fantasy/In Rainbow were when they first came out. Then think about how King of Limbs/Yeezus came out of nowhere and left the music world with a huge question mark, to the point where people were asking for a part two of the album because they weren't satisfied with the finished product.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
everyed said:

Think about how late but still critically acclaimed Dark Fantasy/In Rainbow were when they first came out. Then think about how King of Limbs/Yeezus came out of nowhere and left the music world with a huge question mark, to the point where people were asking for a part two of the album because they weren't satisfied with the finished product.
best response.

·
Registered
24,811 Posts
everyed said:

:golfclap:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kid A is depressing af though, I wouldn't say that Yeezus has the same mood.

The reason Kid A was so different is because Thom Yorke suffered from a major writers block, and got depressed after all the touring of OK Computer etc.

I recommend watching the documentary "Meeting People is Easy" :cryfam:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hypotc said:
Kid A is depressing af though, I wouldn't say that Yeezus has the same mood.

The reason Kid A was so different is because Thom Yorke suffered from a major writers block, and got depressed after all the touring of OK Computer etc.

I recommend watching the documentary "Meeting People is Easy" :cryfam:
I think Radiohead is a pretty depressing band overall though. Thom Yorke's voice maaaan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah this isn't a terrible comparison actually. Both are incredibly dark, stridently anti-commercial, and I think this is the most important similarity: both use lyrics/vocals as a way to add to the overall tone of the album, as opposed to making a statement of some sort.

Good post OP :golfclap:

EDIT: Just remembered that both Kanye and Thom Yorke freaked out on stage during their SNL performances for the singles off these albums.

·
Registered
13,803 Posts
everyed said:

except Yeezus is actually a good album

·
Registered
196 Posts
CartesianDemon said:
Yeah this isn't a terrible comparison actually. Both are incredibly dark, stridently anti-commercial, and I think this is the most important similarity: both use lyrics/vocals as a way to add to the overall tone of the album, as opposed to making a statement of some sort.

Good post OP :golfclap:

EDIT: Just remembered that both Kanye and Thom Yorke freaked out on stage during their SNL performances for the singles off these albums.
Totally agree!

Here's the SNL performance of Idioteque btw:

http://vimeo.com/8503559

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Every great artist has an album like this. A very controversial one that divides their audience. It was a bold move.

All Kanye has to do now is make one more, if you would call, non experimental/normal rap album, but also a great hit, and then retire, he will be the greatest music artist in a very long time

1 - 20 of 36 Posts