Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little discussion that i'm sure has been made before but I notice this a lot. I'm white, btw, and most people I know hate hip-hop aside from the pop/hiphop thats on the radio... they all call it 'black music' and just screaming words, not real music, bla bla bla... is this the case for most people? I tend to notice hip-hop is the least liked genre of music

·
Registered
24,666 Posts
CP3 said:
why do you think this is, because it is considered 'Black music'? Thats what i'm getting a lot, I think
That's a underlying reason for some people but mostly cause people who don't listen to rap judge it by the language. Once they hear a "bad word" their brain turns off and they begin to trash rap music

Also because they sample a lot in hip hop fans of other music view hip hop producers as cheating or hip hop as a sort of lazy music for lack of a better phrase

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
CP3 said:
why do you think this is, because it is considered 'Black music'? Thats what i'm getting a lot, I think
This and

TBM said:
That's a underlying reason for some people but mostly cause people who don't listen to rap judge it by the language. Once they hear a "bad word" their brain turns off and they begin to trash rap music

Also because they sample a lot in hip hop so fans of other music view hip hop producers as cheating or hip hop as a sort of lazy music for lack of a better phrase
This.

People don't even listen to the music in "real" hip-hop song, and just listen to the music in "shitty" hip-hop song. :facepalm2:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Those arguments you mention other people using are frankly some of the dumbest things I've ever heard said in relation to music. Such people should be banned from listening to music, simple as.

As for the answer I think it's probably metal. You see a lot of people who are really into metal online who are also into hip hop. In my experience, you don't see much of the other way around. Hip hop also has a lot of mainstream coverage, metal is shunned. People are also cruel about metal listeners. Nobody is cruel about hip hop listeners; the genre is broadly considered 'cool' now just like when it was born. Metal has never enjoyed such a privilege and is seen as the genre of choice for murderers, virgins with BO and all-round nutters. Some of that is true, as is the fact that some hip hop is a vehicle for the completely talentless, but both stereotypes ignore the actual truth.

G

·
TBM said:

Also because they sample a lot in hip hop so fans of other music view hip hop producers as cheating or hip hop as a sort of lazy music for lack of a better phrase
Excellent post,exactly this

·
Banned
30,437 Posts
Most people just aren't that interested in wordplay or any of the linguistic spirals that the best Hip-Hop can offer. Especially if you can't relate to the subject matter, I think it would be hard to love something like HHNF if you didn't think Hip-Hop has some of the best pure stylists around.

·
Banned
30,437 Posts
There is little that makes me cringe like when an older person tries to imitate a rapper: They just wave their hands and go 'yo yo yo uhhhhh uhhh what yo....'. It's the worst, and I've seen it more than once around me.

·
Registered
24,666 Posts
CP3 said:
aha thats funny that because I totally forgot about the sampling thing and thats soo true.. I have a friend and every time I played music with an older sample he would critize it for the exact reasons you just said... sad really because when you get past the shitty radio rap music, its really great music
The thing  is a lot of the great producers do use other instruments along with the sample. I know this maybe a cliche example but on Late Registration the string parts added so much to the music. Or for a more modern example Black Milk uses real instrumentation on a lot of his beats and creates some really great stuff.

·
Premium Member
46,683 Posts
CP3 said:
what do you mean?
Well, theres a lot of old time music fans that believe hip hop is the disgusting and an embarrassment to music considering "the great music they used to have"

And hip hop itself deals with elitists on a regular basis saying "hip hop is dead" and all that. Its just a genre that spews hate in and outside of it

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
rg19 said:
Well, theres a lot of old time music fans that believe hip hop is the disgusting and an embarrassment to music considering "the great music they used to have"

And hip hop itself deals with elitists on a regular basis saying "hip hop is dead" and all that. Its just a genre that spews hate in and outside of it
Although much of that is true, it happens with all genres.

·
Banned
30,437 Posts
I disagree with the suggestion that country is the most hated. Nationwide, I don't think it's true. Maybe in the small circle of music fans that popular internet boards, but I think country artists sell out the roof.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts