Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
81,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The debate over whether a college education is worth it may have begun when the colonists arrived from Europe and founded "New College" (later renamed Harvard University) in 1636. With 19.9 million US college students in 2013 and average student debt at over $26,500, the debate continues today.
some facts:
20.2 million students were enrolled in colleges and universities in 2015, compared to 13.5 million in 1990, 7.9 million in 1970, and 2.7 million in 1949.
In 2011, 50% of US college graduates under 25 years old had no job or only a part-time job
One in three college graduates had a job that only required a high school diploma or less in 2012, including more than 16,000 parking lot attendants, 83,000 bartenders, and 115,000 janitors with bachelor's degrees.
In Aug. 2013, approximately 6,900 accredited colleges and universities were operating in the United States, compared to 3,535 in 1990 and 1,851 in 1950
In Apr. 2013 the unemployment rate for college graduates over 25 years old was 3.6% compared to 7.5% for high school graduates
:work:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40,335 Posts
Obviously. :what:

Don't major in something stupid as fuck, and go get your masters/doctorate and you'll find a good job, with good pay.

Or feel free to either live the rest of your life making 40k without a bachelors, or without a job majoring in some stupid shit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
81,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I believe that college isn't worth it for a lot of people, especially if you end up going into massive debt. You can get started on a plumbing apprenticeship and after a few years be making so much fucking bank doing shit nobody wants to do.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
81,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FE said:
Obviously. :what:

Don't major in something stupid as fuck, and go get your masters/doctorate and you'll find a good job, with good pay.

Or feel free to either live the rest of your life making 40k without a bachelors, or without a job majoring in some stupid shit.
what you think about this:
In 2011, 50% of US college graduates under 25 years old had no job or only a part-time job
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40,335 Posts
bigmancam said:
Personally I believe that college isn't worth it for a lot of people, especially if you end up going into massive debt. You can get started on a plumbing apprenticeship and after a few years be making so much fucking bank doing shit nobody wants to do.
If you want to be a blue collar slave, that sounds good. :oblivious:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
81,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FE said:
If you want to be a blue collar slave, that sounds good. :oblivious:
just saying for some people that can't afford college it might be better to do skilled labor instead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40,335 Posts
bigmancam said:
what you think about this:
Bachelor's ain't shit most of the time. Hence why I emphasized needing a masters/doctorate. Especially if you major in something that has no job outlook (for example, I'm majoring in poli sci, if I expected to find a job straight out of college with that shit I'd be flipping burgers).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,254 Posts
it depends on what you want to do. generally yeah, but some careers don't need it, but you need to work hard and be the best out of anyone to stand out. and if you have the skill but not the network, it's still needed at least to build the network.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40,335 Posts
bigmancam said:
just saying for some people that can't afford college it might be better to do skilled labor instead
I mean, obviously college isn't for everybody. But it definitely is a good path for a brighter future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
doing engineering, currently working as a paid intern gaining relevant experience
have student loan debt but have saved enough from working that I can pay it off

so yeah, worth it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
81,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KidAkbar said:
doing engineering, currently working as a paid intern gaining relevant experience
have student loan debt but have saved enough from working that I can pay it off

so yeah, worth it.
What do you think about people who are only interested in like History or Anthropology. What should they do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
bigmancam said:
What do you think about people who are only interested in like History or Anthropology. What should they do?
a college education is basically the new high school diploma. it's pretty much required for most jobs.
unless you can do something on your own that separates you from the pack (which for most people isn't gonna happen), I'd say get a degree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
at the same time treat it as an investment.

there's basically 2 criteria you need to consider, and different people will prioritize them differently:
job prospects (i.e. $$$), and interest/passion

it's like buying a car. you'll either buy the reliable honda, or buy the car that interests you the most.
you're not gonna walk into the dealership and just pick a random car.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
36,999 Posts
Only if you study something that actually makes you money. Not a Certificate of Achievement in Basket weaving after wasting 4 years at a community college.
 
1 - 20 of 180 Posts
Top