Kanye to The banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 80 GB Ipod and synced it into ITunes. I've noticed that it says I have 72GB free even though there's nothing on the Ipod? Same thing happened to my 32GB IPod Touch, I had only had 28-29 GB when it was supposed to be 32 GB. Anyone else notice this/have this problem?

Registered
Vi3tboi said:
So I just bought a 80 GB Ipod and synced it into ITunes. I've noticed that it says I have 72GB free even though there's nothing on the Ipod? Same thing happened to my 32GB IPod Touch, I had only had 28-29 GB when it was supposed to be 32 GB. Anyone else notice this/have this problem?
You have not lost any memory. The discrepancy comes from the difference between binary and decimal calculation of the hard drive space. Your computer calculates a kilometer or kilogram as 1024 while the rest of the world sees it as 1000. There is no real difference, just a difference in calculating. Another example of this is my 120 GB iPod Classic. When looking at in iTunes it says it has 111 GB when brand new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigWorldJust said:
You have not lost any memory. The discrepancy comes from the difference between binary and decimal calculation of the hard drive space. Your computer calculates a kilometer or kilogram as 1024 while the rest of the world sees it as 1000. There is no real difference, just a difference in calculating. Another example of this is my 120 GB iPod Classic. When looking at in iTunes it says it has 111 GB when brand new.
:h5:

Registered
BigWorldJust said:
interesting.i thought it was just the operating system taking up that space

Registered
2012 said:
interesting.i thought it was just the operating system taking up that space
Hmm. I'm actually intrigued. Well, I have one less reason to curse them as thieves. If Apple is an American company, why does it take the Chinese/international standard? Sounds like a nice little loophole they cut into.

shadynarkoticz said:
I just thought it was Apple didn't feel like selling a 27.8GB iPod, haha.
lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts