Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think "Mr. Rager" is probably the best and most well-rounded track on MotM2, so after some further listening and studying of the lyrics I think I have a working interpretation of the song's meaning. Also, this is a pretty on-the-spot working of my theory (I'm writing this at 2:40 AM for me) so this may not be as cool of an idea as I might think it is right now. :p So cut me some slack! I know this whole idea doesn't fit very well for all of the moments in the song but Cudi isn't the kind of artist to stick with an album concept anyways so I don't think any one interpretation works perfectly. Anyway here it is:

In this track particularly, Mr. Rager seems to be a separate personality of Cudi (think Eminem & Slim Shady but less grotesque) and the song seems to be about the struggle between Cudi and his coked-up inner demon.

There is some subtle voice differences at the beginning of the song hinting at the separation of the two; when Cudi says "I'm off on a adventure" and "I'm on my way to heaven" they are both somewhat distorted and exaggerated compared to the normal-voiced Cudi talking before the beat kicks in. The same thing happens in the first hook; he sounds less heavy and more curious when he asks "Tell me where you're going Tell me where you're headed" and the gruff, distorted/exaggerated voice replies "I'm off on a adventure, I'm on my way to heaven". Since the exaggerated voice was most likely intentional, I think that was actually Mr. Rager replying to the normal Cudi in the hook.  As the song goes on, Cudi sounds more and more desperate on each hook to the point where his voice is quivering when asking where Mr. Rager is taking him. Cudi also continues to ask if he can "take the journey" despite sounding increasingly scared on each hook, suggesting that he knew he was having a problem but kept turning to Mr. Rager for relief anyway.

In the first verse Cudi was talking about wanting to be like a bird and just flying off (like a psychological or emotional release). Maybe this is a hint at the birth of Mr. Rager--Cudi wanted to release himself from the stress of real life and "want[ed] to be one of [the birds]" so he turned to his inner demon to unleash himself through various substances. In the second verse, he talks about being beat down and specifically mirrors one of Rager's lines: "When will the fantasy end, when will the heaven begin?" This is yet again about how Cudi felt depressed in his life and turned to finding a release.

Thats pretty much all I've got for now. Feel free to add to/complain about any of the ideas I mentioned.

Other people's ideas:

doctordude said:
In the break at about 2:56, it seems to sound like Cudi really wants the journey ("can we take the journey"), as if it's his last straw (about asking). But with the anticlimactic music, it seems as if it never happens, and his desperation breaks out on the final chorus, with the powerful singing and such.
Afrikiism said:
To further comment on the first verse, I think it's spoken from the perspective from Mr. Rager (I'm aware that the lack of the voice modification pretty much kills this theory). I think he's mentioning the birds as symbolism for Cudi's addiction to marijuana (never staying on the ground, always flying around). And as we all know, Cudi 'smokes to get high because this world is so low'.
M said:
Kid Cudi: This song is about someone who is fed up with reality, who looks for thrills and excitement by any means. It's just kind of how I was feeling at that point. I was just so angry. Doing coke revived me, and knowing I was so close to death every time intrigued me. I liked the thought of it.

·
Banned
40,251 Posts
Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking.
However, I always imagine Mr. Rager taking Solo Dolo on as an apprentice. :iunno:

To further comment on the first verse, I think it's spoken from the perspective from Mr. Rager (I'm aware that the lack of the voice modification pretty much kills this theory). I think he's mentioning the birds as symbolism for Cudi's addiction to marijuana (never staying on the ground, always flying around). And as we all know, Cudi 'smokes to get high because this world is so low'.

·
Premium Member
122,085 Posts
one of my fav cudi songs, def one of the best on the albums too.

great interpretation

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody. Honestly this is the first Cudi song I've actually managed to make sense of haha

·
Registered
562 Posts
i really like this interpretation. i'm ashamed to say that i've always just looked at mr. rager as a song and never really as a story. you've made it so much cooler for me.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Good read man. I knew there was some kind of meaning behind Mr. Rager and this totally makes sense now that I think of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sTuckBeats said:
i hope cudi makes mr. rager like slim shady.

just an alter-ego for coked out craziness.
It would be cool, but Em overused Slim Shady a lot to the point where the character sort of lost meaning. I love the idea of Mr. Rager as a personality, but I don't think it should be on every song.

·
Banned
3,822 Posts
OGCF said:
It would be cool, but Em overused Slim Shady a lot to the point where the character sort of lost meaning. I love the idea of Mr. Rager as a personality, but I don't think it should be on every song.
yeah for sure. but i dont think it's gonna happen seeing as he claims he's off the powder now

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sTuckBeats said:
yeah for sure. but i dont think it's gonna happen seeing as he claims he's off the powder now
Mr. Rager doesn't have to be about coke. He's sort of an extension of Cudi when he's under any sort of out-of-body influence.

But yeah I wouldn't expect him to bring back Rager for Wizards or the next MotM (whenever that will be).

·
Registered
494 Posts
I always kinda thought he was singing like he was us, you know how we always want to know what he's up to and where he is, what he's doing and shit. Tell us where your going, tell us where you headed.. idk.. this song is fucking epic though.

·
Registered
15,598 Posts
Bump because of my friends theory and no need to make a new thread.

My friend told me Kid Cudi (Mr. Rager) was a killer who hunts kids and that was the meaning of the song...and the lyrics all go with it..?? And he said that's why it ties into the weird promotional posters that were out. Is this even possibly a theory? Because it sounds pretty stupid.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Your friends fucked.

My take on the song is like the OP said its a split personality telling Cudi hey come here lets go on an adventure and Cudi is deciding whether to go or not. His last word in the song is hey stating hes going to go where Mr. Rager is talking him. Then bam These Worries kicks in and that where Mr. Rager took him, to a paranoid state where hes constantly worried and now needs to do cocaine.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
2001 said:
Bump because of my friends theory and no need to make a new thread.

My friend told me Kid Cudi (Mr. Rager) was a killer who hunts kids and that was the meaning of the song...and the lyrics all go with it..?? And he said that's why it ties into the weird promotional posters that were out. Is this even possibly a theory? Because it sounds pretty stupid.
Your friend is either joking around or really stupid

1 - 20 of 44 Posts