Kanye to The banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the more radical visions of the future is a world in which biological humans have traded-in their corporeal bodies in favor of a purely digital existence. This would require a person to literally upload their mind to a supercomputer. But this hypothetical process (hard uploading) might actually result in the permanent destruction of the original person. It would be a form of unintentional suicide.

Very few people that I’m aware of are really interested in hard upload in comparison to its soft counterpart: enhance the existing brain with computer implants that work in concert with the existing neurons, enhance their abilities and, over time, take over their functions. In this scenario there is no discontinuity between two modes of consciousness, but a gradual shift from one form of hardware to another.

Aside from protecting the technological adopters from philosophical conundrums about their identity, it also helps to avoid corruption or loss of data, which is always a risk with fast transfer, if no backup exists. So I think we will be able to upload our consciousness within our lifetime. It's just a matter of whether you believe it will work or not.If you don't believe in the technology, then go ahead and die. I'm willing to take that risk if I'm close to dying. But I wonder if there could be an afterlife, so it makes me a little apprehensive

1 - 19 of 19 Posts