Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those taking steps into the "real world" or whatever. How much $ you got saved to drop on a home?

I understand housing prices vary, so in some places less money is more than enough for a home
New Mexico lol
but I live in Vancouver and an average home price is $1.8million.

Obviously I'm moving out the city into a 2bdrm apartment that'll run me like $350,000 on the low-mid end.

I'm a 5th year student finishing up my third degree and bougie students in my class talking bout how they already got homes and stuff. They're like 27 yrs old, I'm 22 but they talking like they got bank.

I got about $50k saved in my bank, how does it compare? I thought I was doing v good till this class.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
those bougie students only have money because of their parents man. same goes for you, i'm willing to bet.

if you have no debts and 10 dollars in your pocket, that makes you wealthier than a good 70% of the united states

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
cheeetos said:
if you have no debts and 10 dollars in your pocket, that makes you wealthier than a good 70% of the united states
This really true as shit. So many older people have given me wisdom about how much more freedom you have without debt.

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheeetos said:
those bougie students only have money because of their parents man. same goes for you, i'm willing to bet.

Yikes @ parents. I get my own thanks.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Carbon said:
This really true as shit. So many older people have given me wisdom about how much more freedom you have without debt.
sounds like a big confidence boost. can't wait to be out from under this student loan debt

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carbon said:
I'm honestly thinking I'd rather finance my car than buy it outright. This way I'll still feel I have $ since I won't pay for it all at once even tho I'll have shit to pay off. Time value of money.

·
Banned
46,655 Posts
Towards a home? Or just savings in general? For me I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. Going through this whole undergrad thing again and thinking about MD-PhD programs instead of just my MD I'm looking at quite some time under my folks umbrella. But put in the best way possible: I have 'enough' to live on my own and pay all the basics for a few years, but if you include school in there I'd be fucked.

I don't see myself as someone owning a home anyway. Unless its for the sole purpose of supporting a family or having it just so I can have a garage where I can work on cars as a hobby. Other than that a home isn't anything on my list of things to do; as of right now I'm fine with renting.

·
Premium Member
32,814 Posts
I almost have 10k. Just shy.

I figured if I can find a nice 2 bedroom condo for cheap, I can afford to put down 3%. I would have to pay the PMI, but that goes away as you hit 20% equity, which on a cheap condo, would not actually be that much. Prices are just so high right now, renting is not worth it. if you can save some money, buying is the way to go.

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MM said:
I almost have 10k. Just shy.

I figured if I can find a nice 2 bedroom condo for cheap, I can afford to put down 3%. I would have to pay the PMI, but that goes away as you hit 20% equity, which on a cheap condo, would not actually be that much. Prices are just so high right now, renting is not worth it. if you can save some money, buying is the way to go.
What city?  price of 2bdrm there?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts