Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need a pure defintion of the word when it comes to producing rap albums. The beats in Yeezus do not have multiple layers like say.. Late Registration or WTT, but they don't seem 'minimal' to me in any way, they have multiple layers, complex instruments/progression, and a few of the songs (On Sight, I'm in It, Bound 2) completely morph into something else (if only for a bit) so when I see something like this...

West enlisted the help of producer Rick Rubin a mere week shy of its release to strip down the record's sound in favor of a more minimalist approach.
After about 15 listens, it makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
well basically there are no sounds that are wasted, they place them in the stereo imaging and levels so everything will be noticed.

and dude, the music is pretty stripped down

the chorus in bound is made up of vocals and a single bass note

the only string arrangement i can think of is on guilt trip

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D3T0X said:
well basically there are no sounds that are wasted, they place them in the stereo imaging and levels so everything will be noticed.

and dude, the music is pretty stripped down

the chorus in bound is made up of vocals and a single bass note

the only string arrangement i can think of is on guilt trip
I think the thing with me is that I'm not sure what minimalist means in terms of producing hip hop, when I hear minimal I think simple art... a few brush strokes or some shit

·
Banned
121,964 Posts
dena said:
I think the thing with me is that I'm not sure what minimalist means in terms of producing hip hop, when I hear minimal I think simple art... a few brush strokes or some shit
So what u want? I am a God to sound like its made by kindergarteners? :hah:

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
dena said:
in music its more like the philosophy of not having any extra trimmings on the music. so that means that there's a lot of single-note synth riffs and fucked up drums and intelligent use of negative (empty) space

in visual art its pieces that are like a black square on a white canvas or 3 perfectly rectangular stripes down a huge canvas. its very abstract

·
Premium Member
43,866 Posts
the only minimalist thing about Yeezus is new slaves

I think people mean the lyrics are minimalist. as in there's no depth to them

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
I think like Mike Dean said it's hard to strip everything down when you're so used to, and good at, making everything grand. I'd assume Rick Rubin came in and rip away unnecessary guitar riffs, piano chords, string sections

1 - 20 of 38 Posts