Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
26,764 Posts
You in High School or what? I took like an intro class to it in HS and it was ok

·
Registered
30,056 Posts
Dorito said:
Is it something that I can get into if I have no prior experience with it?
im taking my first comp sci class in the fall, but my sister is a computer engineer and i've talked to her a lot about it lately since i've been really interested. she says it's not necessarily hard or easy, but it does take a very different type of thinking that isn't taught outside of computer science. sorry, i can't really elaborate on what this different type of thinking is, but i'm assuming it's like, logic-based thinking? finding patterns? getting used to reading code? stuff like that. like someone said already, do not rely on just learning in the class room. if you want to get a job, you have to be the most proficient, so try to learn and practice outside the classroom. do some googling, find some tutorials or hit up the library for a book and see if you're into it.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Dorito said:
Is it something that I can get into if I have no prior experience with it?
I used to be a CS major and ill tell you that you need to be fucking good at math and better be ready into putting hours our your time into lab assignments and studying a shit load of languages like Java and C++ for starters outside of class. This is the type of major that requires you to practice constantly outside of the classroom.

·
Registered
43,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oceanflooooor said:
im taking my first comp sci class in the fall, but my sister is a computer engineer and i've talked to her a lot about it lately since i've been really interested. she says it's not necessarily hard or easy, but it does take a very different type of thinking that isn't taught outside of computer science. sorry, i can't really elaborate on what this different type of thinking is, but i'm assuming it's like, logic-based thinking? finding patterns? getting used to reading code? stuff like that. like someone said already, do not rely on just learning in the class room. if you want to get a job, you have to be the most proficient, so try to learn and practice outside the classroom. do some googling, find some tutorials or hit up the library for a book and see if you're into it.
hmm. Sounds kind of overwhelming, but at the same time, being a software engineer sounds pretty interesting.

·
Registered
43,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TZiggy said:
I used to be a CS major and ill tell you that you need to be fucking good at math and better be ready into putting hours our your time into lab assignments and studying a shit load of languages like Java and C++ for starters outside of class. This is the type of major that requires you to practice constantly outside of the classroom.
:ohno:

What's your major now?

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
squilliam said:
wanted to do computer science as well now idk :ohno:
We had about 120 kids in our freshman seminar CS class during the first semester. About half of us remained by the following semester later.

·
Registered
20,390 Posts
TZiggy said:
We had about 120 kids in our freshman seminar CS class during the first semester. About half of us remained by the following semester later.
was the same in my ap biology class (im in high school still)

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
squilliam said:
was the same in my ap biology class (im in high school still)
Lol. I remember the same shit happened in my AP Bio and Economics classes when I was in HS. So many kids weren't meant to be in those classes.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts