Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people say they can tell when someone punches in...

I'm not gonna explain what that means cuz if you don't know what it means there's no way you're gonna be able to tell when someone does it

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
its hard to explain i mean if its a real good one u prolly wont be able to tell, but usually u can tell like if someone gathered their breath again (but there was no time to gather) and the timing on the line is still right. uh i mean sometimes rappers do it on purpose, also u can tell theres a punch in whenever they have those effects and stuff, like nicki minaj on monster so thats a key give away.  Usually depends song to song tho, i guess just if the rappers seems like they expended mad energy on the verse then they're getting towards the end and theres like no way they can complete it in ur mind but they happen to.

most of your favorite rappers punch in tho, the only one i know that doesn't punch in at all is jay-z thats why his shit sounds so much more natural.  If a dude is going in on that mic, but you never hear him take in a breath really somewhere hes prolly punching.  Rappers that use alot of effects in their verses, those are the ones that usually punch in alot.

·
Premium Member
52,578 Posts
halfhavoc said:
its hard to explain i mean if its a real good one u prolly wont be able to tell, but usually u can tell like if someone gathered their breath again (but there was no time to gather) and the timing on the line is still right. uh i mean sometimes rappers do it on purpose, also u can tell theres a punch in whenever they have those effects and stuff, like nicki minaj on monster so thats a key give away.  Usually depends song to song tho, i guess just if the rappers seems like they expended mad energy on the verse then they're getting towards the end and theres like no way they can complete it in ur mind but they happen to.

most of your favorite rappers punch in tho, the only one i know that doesn't punch in at all is jay-z thats why his shit sounds so much more natural.  If a dude is going in on that mic, but you never hear him take in a breath really somewhere hes prolly punching.  Rappers that use alot of effects in their verses, those are the ones that usually punch in alot.
Drake's verse on Unstoppable, for example?

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
halfhavoc said:

Yeah I get that if someone's spitting hard as fuck and there's no sound of him taking a breath there's probably mad punch-ins but I don't get how someone can say that there's a punch-in at a certain point in the verse or something

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
Yeah I get that if someone's spitting hard as fuck and there's no sound of him taking a breath there's probably mad punch-ins but I don't get how someone can say that there's a punch-in at a certain point in the verse or something
i mean cuz i record what ill tell u is in my studio, whenever theres like a lead-in effect, you usually punch in and layer that.  Like i said tho if the punch in is done correctly, its hard to tell and most times u cant, the timing could be SLIGHTLY off u can pin point it sometimes like if the person was going hard as fuck, but their voice level doesn't match the line before OR they kept going and all of a sudden on a line the voice/tone just goes up and changes alot.

why are u so concerned with this though?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Da Gawd said:
Drake's verse on Unstoppable, for example?
im not sure that one does cuz he has time to take a breath before he starts going in harder, but the part where he just keeps going without any pauses seems like he def did that in one take.  My studio has the same mic filter jay-z and ye used on WTT that bit giant plate idk how it works but can kill alot of those breaths in beween pauses, and plus the producer can go back and delete extra noises.  I dont think drake punched in on that one tho it doesnt seem hard 2 spit in one take.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
HarlemDiplomats said:
I'm not I just want to be able to hear it cuz other people can
i dont think people can hear it as easily as u think, they might be guessing or wrong.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts