Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Well, I guess it can also depend on what aspect of film you'd like to work in. Theater work could help, interning at studios, etc. are potential options.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
there are film schools in europe no?
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118023819.html?categoryId=4121&cs=1
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118023816.html?categoryid=4116&cs=1&nid=2562

but I mean, the top two places for film seem to be NY, and LA. most people say it's pretty hard to get in when you're not there

But what mmonty said, interning, sending in scripts, doing theater work, is what I would think.
making short films or filming indie films, and trying to get them into festivals would almost seem like a good start.

you could also be those guys who read scripts for studios. they usually are aspiring (I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS WORD IN MY HEAD YESTERDAY! COULD NOT FIND IT! THANK GOD! anyways...) writers.

or you can sleep with the boss' daughter, get her pregnant and just wing it :dno:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Suck a lot of dicks and kiss a lot of ass....

No basically you got 3 choices

1. Go to college and get a film degree
2. Go to a technical school and do film school
3. Just say fuck it and head out to Hollywood and try to work your way up and if you have scripts, ect. pimp it out at every chance you have

I'm friends with guys that went to USC, UCLA, NYU, and UNCSA and have successful careers producing, writing, directing, or acting.

I have some friends who went to film school and are doing ok, and I know of people that are successful with that route.

I know of guys that started off helping out on set and getting coffee and such and are big time producers, writers, or directors now.

It all depends on what risks your willing to take, what you want to do, how patient you can be, and how hard your willing to work. There are always exceptions but you really need to head out to LA if your serious about it, or if your going to school definitely look in the LA or NYC area, it's more expensive but it really does give you a huge advantage.

·
Registered
25,469 Posts
I'm getting my major in English before I start sending scripts out but I'm planning to shoot some of my own stuff soon. After about a couple years, I'll try to get into film school.

·
Registered
363 Posts
DIAZ said:
I'm getting my major in English before I start sending scripts out but I'm planning to shoot some of my own stuff soon. After about a couple years, I'll try to get into film school.
A great student film or independent film is another way to get started.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
joe said:
FYI, if anyone would like to be a script reader, I can hook you up for a position next summer.
Intriguing....

And it seems that connections are the bane of a filmmakers life.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
joe said:
Yeah, you'd have to move to LA for the summer though. You write 1-2 page summaries critiquing the screenplay and it's potential marketability. I forgot how much you make per summary, but if you do a lot, you'd make a decent amount. It'd most likely be for CAA,since that's the connect I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Artists_Agency

I may do it next summer.
I would most definitely down to do that.. that sounds great actually haha

·
Registered
363 Posts
joe said:
Well i'll talk to them and keep you guys updated. They are pretty helpful if you show them your passion. Last summer they told me to apply to do bitch work for a filmmaker whose name rhymes with Barren, but I was too lazy to apply. :facepalm: :oblivious: :megusta:
  :wom: D: :psyboom:
U should be ashamed of yourself

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
joe said:
The thing that bothers me about film,and other arts, is that the loudest people tend to get the furthest. So, talent becomes secondary. You can be a terrible actor,writer,director etc etc, but if you know the right people, you're golden. It's a fucked up system, and there is only like six studios to fight for, but that's the way it goes.

If you want to go a more independent route, it's always beneficial to just submit your screenplays/short films to small competitions,and just keep building.
That's actually one of the major reasons why i decided to go the business route after high school. I was trying to choose between my business aspirations and film making, and that was one of the issues the pushed me away.

·
Registered
53,164 Posts
joe said:
Yeah, you'd have to move to LA for the summer though. You write 1-2 page summaries critiquing the screenplay and it's potential marketability. I forgot how much you make per summary, but if you do a lot, you'd make a decent amount. It'd most likely be for CAA,since that's the connect I have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Artists_Agency

I may do it next summer.
Think they'd be interested in a community college student with no experience? Haha

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
I'm gonna go to school for film when I graduate. I'm gonna minor in English so if film doesn't work out I can become a teacher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts