Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple, dumbass fucking question that's probably in the wrong section.

But how did some of you guys learn how to produce? It's something I've always wanted to do, and now since I lost my job and shit I have nothing to do at home, so I figure this is the perfect chance to try it out.

What was the first software you used? Which is the one you use today/got most familiar with? How did you learn to use it? I'm curious cause I'm a completely newbie when it comes to this, but I really do want to learn.

·
Premium Member
55,302 Posts
freebread said:
Simple, dumbass fucking question that's probably in the wrong section.

But how did some of you guys learn how to produce? It's something I've always wanted to do, and now since I lost my job and shit I have nothing to do at home, so I figure this is the perfect chance to try it out.

What was the first software you used? Which is the one you use today/got most familiar with? How did you learn to use it? I'm curious cause I'm a completely newbie when it comes to this, but I really do want to learn.
Started w/ FL Studio, and read the manual & played around on it for a few weeks. Then I looked up some youtube tutorials. I also listened really close to some modern beats to see what all to add in a beat because I've never played an instrument and have zero knowedge of music theory. And just practice, practice, practice

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Started in a program called LMMS, which is kinda similar to FL just is crappier. Played around in the program, got FL, read 5th Element's Drum tutorial and one or 2 on YT and just through others online via critique.

·
Registered
91,785 Posts
Started out as a songwriter in a band playing guitar. Then started using FL to lay out my songs. Bought a Mac and went further with it using Logic. It was just a gradual, natural process for me. Only been making hip-hop beats for like, a year max.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i started young with like funk box and shit then i found out about fl studio that was like 09 so 3 years later i think ive improved but theres always things to learn.

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ILLA said:
http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=205017.0
is it the same thing if I use FL, like are the buttons and setup pretty much the same as logic?

·
Banned
4,807 Posts
i was friends with this kid called shawn carter and we used to hang out in his kitchen and hed bang his fingers on the table making some dope beats and then he'd rap along to it

swear he had talent wouldnt be surprised if he was famous now

·
Registered
928 Posts
just experimented with stuff, learned the DAW in and out, and tried to make the sounds in my head. my beats aren't amazing though so...eh

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm using Ableton Live. This may sound redundant but youtube is a great source for video tutorials. There are a bunch of resources you can find on google, and also forums dedicated to music production. I also bought music theory books to help improve my overall knowledge on music. Some may see this as a hindrance to their creativity but I think you always have to know the basics of something to be able to creatively maneuver through your craft.

Another thing that helped me was the listen to music that I liked and inspired me. Not just casually listen, but really observe and analyze. IE: when instruments would come in/out, drum fills, chord changes, etc.

·
0 Posts
Lalangan said:
I'm using Ableton Live. This may sound redundant but youtube is a great source for video tutorials. There are a bunch of resources you can find on google, and also forums dedicated to music production. I also bought music theory books to help improve my overall knowledge on music. Some may see this as a hindrance to their creativity but I think you always have to know the basics of something to be able to creatively maneuver through your craft.

Another thing that helped me was the listen to music that I liked and inspired me. Not just casually listen, but really observe and analyze. IE: when instruments would come in/out, drum fills, chord changes, etc.
Link to book?

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
started fucking around with premade loops,
got fl studio
made sample beats
made my own melodies
got reason
made my own sounds
use fl w reason

but thinking of getting ableton or native for more sounds

also helps that i can play melodies by ear (natural born talent)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Steamboat said:
i was friends with this kid called shawn carter and we used to hang out in his kitchen and hed bang his fingers on the table making some dope beats and then he'd rap along to it

swear he had talent wouldnt be surprised if he was famous now
Haha I knew that guy too but I was mainly taught by this Robert Diggs dude, he always was just beat boxing while playing really shitty piano and we started to record it
I dunno what happened after tho I moved to another part of town where I met Sean. How did U guys get together?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts