Kanye to The banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not gonna lie, I Lowkey want to be an advertising executive like don draper on mad men, but is advertising still a relevant, profitable industry to get into? Or is today's advertising world full of broke hipsters?

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I most likely wanna go for the financial aspect of advertising rather than creative.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
They don't get paid that much tbh. Mad Men makes it look glamorous but it ain't all that.

In a real life situation, Draper wouldn't be able to afford a Park Ave apartment and be able to pay for shit like private school for kids, etc. Then again he's a partner so depending on how the firm does, maybe he can. But in the earlier seasons he had the house when married with Betty and an apartment in the city for his random whores and he wouldn't have been able to afford that, even if he worked at a top ad agency.

·
Banned
6,041 Posts
Jamie Dimon said:
They don't get paid that much tbh. Mad Men makes it look glamorous but it ain't all that.

In a real life situation, Draper wouldn't be able to afford a Park Ave apartment and be able to pay for shit like private school for kids, etc. Then again he's a partner so depending on how the firm does, maybe he can. But in the earlier seasons he had the house when married with Betty and an apartment in the city for his random whores and he wouldn't have been able to afford that, even if he worked at a top ad agency.
Yeah he would. He's a partner at his firm in Ad men.

I just bet it's 10x more work. They seem like the type to bring their work home with them. Also I bet the process has changed since the 60's and that the show makes it look easy.

In Mad Men you have

- Accounts (Manage negotiations between firm and the company that hired them)
- Artists (Draw shit, direct ads, prolly includes graphic design now-a-days)
- Creative (This is the part I bet is 10x the work in real life, must be more to it than brainstorming)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
HalfBlackKid said:
Yeah he would. He's a partner at his firm in Ad men.

I just bet it's 10x more work. They seem like the type to bring their work home with them. Also I bet the process has changed since the 60's and that the show makes it look easy.

In Mad Men you have

- Accounts (Manage negotiations between firm and the company that hired them)
- Artists (Draw shit, direct ads, prolly includes graphic design now-a-days)
- Creative (This is the part I bet is 10x the work in real life, must be more to it than brainstorming)
Did you not read my entire post? I said he's a partner so his cash is probably longer now. But the thing is SCDP wasn't even considered a top ad agency in the show until the recent merger

Show makes it look a lot better than it actually is. All you see them doing is taking clients out to dinner and drinking and then on the spur of the moment have a brillant breakthrough. In real life that could happen but not as often as Mad Men display it

Also, you have to factor in the cost of living on the UES. A small apartment or studio can easily run you 6000+. Draper had like a penthouse so it's easily a lot more. I live on the UES and the yearly rent is a lot more than the average American income.

·
Banned
6,041 Posts
Jamie Dimon said:
Did you not read my entire post? I said he's a partner so his cash is probably longer now. But the thing is SCDP wasn't even considered a top ad agency in the show until the recent merger

Show makes it look a lot better than it actually is. All you see them doing is taking clients out to dinner and drinking and then on the spur of the moment have a brillant breakthrough. In real life that could happen but not as often as Mad Men display it

Also, you have to factor in the cost of living on the UES. A small apartment or studio can easily run you 6000+. Draper had like a penthouse so it's easily a lot more
I googled the concept of 'ad men' and apparently lots of places have since moved away from Madison Avenue and New York to places with higher standards of living. SF,Seattle, and LA, Toronto. Also I'm sure I'd rather be an ad men outside of New York. I don't want 1/2 my salary going into unnecessarily high rent and other shit like that

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
I have an ad-related degree and have worked for ad companies in college. It is not like Ad Men.

It can pay very well, but that's if you work for an elite firm. Ad execs are basically salesman, you need to very talented at sales. Get experience in college with sales or you will have no shot at being an ad exec. And the industry is shifting towards digital, learn all you can about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts