Kanye to The banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
63,581 Posts
moehunna said:
feels like Kanye had to play it safe to please his followers after yeezus was lacking mainstream appeal. TLOP is supposed to be played in clubs and have people jumping and dancing (nothing wrong with that), imagine hearing yeezus being played in clubs. You won't. I think Kanye is moving into the pop culture paradigm
Yeezus is in the "pop culture paradigm". "Black Skinhead" alone has been features in 4 or 5 different major motion picture trailers in the past 3 years. "I Am a God" just got placement in the new Assassin's Creed film trailer. "Bound 2"'s music video made mass headlines and caused a huge trend of parodies from YouTube creators for months (not to mention Rogen and Franco's famous one). The album was ranked in the top 3 releases of its year by almost every mainstream publication. Literally the only song on Yeezus that begins to teeter towards "unconventional" is "I Am a God" for its industrial elements and abrasive ad-libs, but even that song is still well within the conventions of industrial-inspired hip hop (which has been well-defined since the mid-80s).

It's ridiculous to even say "I think Kanye is moving into the pop culture paradigm" because he's never left it since his 2004 debut. He couldn't even move out of it if he wanted to; everything and anything he does is automatically assimilated and tailored into popular culture because of his status as an artistic figure, celebrity, and international superstar. Even if Kanye released an album like Metal Machine Music, it would immediately enter into the pop culture canon due to the unavoidable, resulting hysteria.

As for TLOP being "his most conventional album yet", most of it is indeed conventional. But there are quasi-unconventional elements (e.g., the abrupt interruption in the end of "Pt. 2", or the general structure of "Freestyle 4"), which already make TLOP less conventional than Late Registration and Graduation — the latter of which is Kanye's de facto most conventional release ever.

The reality is that the vast majority of music releases (including every one of Kanye's albums) work within well-defined, "safe" conventions relative to popular music history. The discrepancy between his most conventional album (Graduation) and his less conventional ones is musically pedantic; they're all conventional. But trying to say TLOP is his "most conventional" is just incorrect when Late Registration and especially Graduation exist. The only way Kanye could release an unconventional album is making something that works within the avant-garde — the only means of composing unconventional music by definition.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
I think to say people who like it are deluded is a huge stretch AND kinda bullshit, because it is a very very likable and enjoyable album.  HOWEVER, the people who say it's one of his best or a classic are playing themselves for real.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.