Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
101,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between Hip Hop culture and Hip Hop entertainment? both involve Hip Hop but in very different ways and have different rules that are set in them. It's impossible to discuss the two without each other because they were born together even though often times people try and separate the two they are really one and the same equal parts the words of disenfranchised youth but also the background noise to block parties meant to distract from the hell of the poverty laden ghetto it was born.

Hip Hop Culture- This side of the coin is often characterized by lyrical skill, flow and wordplay but it's more then that it's also an equal part of a lifestyle and upholding a standard of yourself, speaking for the community and most of all BEING REAL. Though Cole lacks the skills many have his greatest skill and strength is being real a perfect example of how much we love it in the culture.

One can NOT claim to be real if you are a former corrections officer

Claim Blood AND Crip

claim to no longer be able to represent the community that is Hip Hop

Have a ghostwriter

Or as much as I love Jay openly admit that you dumb down your lyrics for money

"I dumbed down for my audience to double my dollars
They criticized me for it, yet they all yell "holla"
If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be lyrically Talib Kweli
Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense
But I did 5 mill' - I ain't been rhyming like Common since"

By doing these things you are betraying the biggest rule of Hip Hop culture which being real your stories are not your stories they are products meant to sell and while this doesn't make you less of an artist in your own right it voids your ability to be in the competition. You can return to the culture after selling out tho Nas did and Jay seems like he's going in that direction.

Hip Hop Entertainment - Born out of talent but focused more so on image, marketing and teams this is where we enter ghostwriting because the competition goes from being the BEST to being the BIGGEST. This side of the coin is often characterized by Relevancy, Popularity, and Sales. The content and subject matter but in a new context now focused on being real but focused on MASS PRODUCTION because it's apart of a bigger world and is factoring other variables besides who is the hottest on the corner or the simpler skill set.

The issue we are faced with today in the game is that most rappers are Hip Hop entertainers now while claiming Hip Hop culture and with this comes artist such as Meek Mill who cried in court claiming to not be a gangster after callin the DA a bitch and afterwards then dropped another diss track to Drake claiming he'd do something to him. My question is how can I take you seriously now?. Future flat out admitting he was more brand then rapper and he pushes the image for money. Future said "I feel like that's the number one thing everybody likes to talk about. It's a catch," he says "I'm not like super drugged out or a drug addict,"

"I'm talking big endorsement deals. I'm talking about some of the big endorsement deals no matter what I am. I get the calls everyday. I'm closing deals everyday that don't have nothing to do with drugs. I didn't have to be on drugs to go to these meetings. I didn't have to close these deals to be on drugs. They just see what they get. They don't see this Nike deal that I just did. They don't know about this Rolex deal I just closed today."

This leaves us with a weird era of Hip Hop now where these lines are getting blury and when before we could tell who was Culture and who was Entertainment but now were left in an era that is combining the two and in all genres the lines between everything are dispersing.

I'm not saying ALL RAPPERS have to live by what they rap but you do if you wanna be considered apart of the culture whether you are a dealer from the hood or the kid from Degrassi otherwise you're no different then

·
Registered
101,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9thWonderful said:
Could turn out to be interesting, go for it
MAC THE GOAT said:
Lil Durk stans gonna be like :mrkrabs:
ToBeAnnounced said:
we about to be in shambles
I'm ready af :banderas:
kn said:
Yep. More like hip-hop culture and "rap culture" but yeah I see what you mean. Go make that thread it's needed.
user said:
Yeah there's a relative level of mainstream success you have to have to be in the conversation of best rapper on a mainstream level

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
CrippledBricks said:
Why OP not include Kanye in the ghostwriter group
Cause you don't lose as much credibility if you produce your own music, and it was never clear how much Kanye doesn't write and how much he does.

·
Registered
38,320 Posts
hip hop culture is just black youth culture nothing in your op is law in hip hop and that's just the truth.
There's no such thing as real hip hop the name itself tells you what the culture is.
Stop listening to old heads about what is or isn't hip hop cause wu tang and tupac isn't what hip hop originally started as.

·
Registered
101,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CrippledBricks said:
Why OP not include Kanye in the ghostwriter group
There was no ghostwriter group Drake was the only one who I brought up ghostwriting in.

Also Kanye isn't really Hip Hop nor was his goal to be he always wanted to be bigger then that even the music he listened to as a teen was rock and pop. That's why he gets so angry at the boxes because he always saw a bigger picture then what alot of people saw him as.

He and Andre 3000 are examples of artist who begin in a genre but are not tied to it really like Prince is just an artist even though he started out as R&B, pop, soul he did whatever genre he wanted he wasn't tied down and his mixing of the genres.

He participates in hip Hop yes but you can make the argument after you do a full blown pop album and have an Acadamey Award winning composer help you on an album you really aren't tryna be Hip Hop.

·
Banned
42,375 Posts
SAINT WEST said:
hip hop culture is just black youth culture nothing in your op is law in hip hop and that's just the truth.
There's no such thing as real hip hop the name itself tells you what the culture is.
Stop listening to old heads about what is or isn't hip hop cause wu tang and tupac isn't what hip hop originally started as.

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
I disagree with Ross because he likely moved contraband around (even if it was petty as weed and cell phones) which is why no one from Miami has actually tried him and why 50 knew he was in a catch 22 to either snitch on himself and who he was working with or to face the hip hop community criticism (he chose the latter obviously)

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
if you want to help the culture just remember to support real ****** people! fuck them non gang affiliated non murdering pussies

·
Registered
37,697 Posts
So for non-reading ****** op basically called out:

Rick Ross for being a corrections officer
Birdman for repping rival gangs
Drake for using a ghostwriter
Jay for dumbing down lyrics
Meek for saying he's not bout that life in court
Future for not being bout that syrup life

·
Registered
101,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
swank. said:
Don't ever say Jay isn't hip hop culture.
OVO Nizzy said:
I gave my reasons why :mm: no one said you had too agree though I wish you'd be more constructive I can't force you to be.Though I will elaborate a little ore on why I put Jay in that list.

Jay isn't a rapper because he loves rap he's a rapper because he can rap his push was always being a Business man and if he could sing and play guitar instead of rap he'd do it.

In other words Jay isn't really about the culture he's a guy who was blessed with amazing skills in the genre and has taken it far. But I feel like it's disrespect to Rakim and Big Daddy Kane to call him Hip Hop culture when he openly dubs his shit down for money.

·
Registered
101,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hotwheels2003 said:
if you want to help the culture just remember to support real ****** people! fuck them non gang affiliated non murdering pussies
Nah that's not my point at all and let it be known I think Hip Hop culture right now is toxic and the idea of it needs to be expanded.

I don't even like beef anymore the way people do Meek after that beef is fucked up it's too much now imo

1 - 20 of 95 Posts