Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The work of art still has something in common with enchantment: it posts its own, self-enclosed area, which is withdrawn from the context of profane exsistence, and in which special laws apply. Just as in the ceremony the magician first of all marked out the limits of the area where the sacred powers were to come into play, so every work of art describes its own circumference which closes it off from actuality. This very renunciation of influence, which distinguishes art from magical sympathy, retains the magic heritage all the more which it absorbs. It is in the nature of the work of art, or aesthetic semblance, to be what the new, terrifying occurrence became in the primitives magic: the appearence of the whole in the particular. In the work of art that duplication still occurs by which the thing appeared as spiritual, as the expression on mana. This constitutes iits aura.

Theodor Adorno and Max Horkheimer - Dialectic of enlightenment (1944)

Extract analysis. You are required to white an analysis of the short extract from Odorno and Horkheimers Dialectic of enlightenment. Give close attention to the meaning 'analysis'. The extract is quite dense and abstuse so it would be useful to summerise exactly what you yhink they are saying and how it relates to the relationship between film representation and the real world. Credit will be given for a range of reference. Length 1500 words.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!
Im doing film and cultural studies!! That isnt film studies!! :'( Thats for scientists or some shit!!
Please someone help me? Im actually begging you! Its in for tomorrow and is 40% of my final grade! :'(

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Where it talks about magician's and marking the limit of their powers ...

Could you not talk about when "magicians" used pentacles when they summoned demons/djinni etc etc? Make a comparison, why he refers to it, what it is he refers to. Pentagrams, which are similar to pentacles are religious symbolism, paganism, devil worship, that kind of thing. Art was seen as devil worship at some point as it was straining the boundaries of reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentacle

http://members.shaw.ca/bbogdan/blog_images/wicca/pentacle.htm

:dno: Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.
Im sitting here pulling an all nighter, and I dont even know where to start.
Please someone tell me what the hell you think its on about?

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what I have so far
Its like 180 words lol

Samantha Mason
Extract for Analysis

My first impression when reading this extract, is that Adorno and Horkheimer clearly view the art being described (which I’ve interoperated into the art of film) as a single entity existing within its own substinance.
As associated with certain Marx theories, this extract portrays film as a form of escapism (Although Marxist views traditionally associate religion with this same idea.) The ‘opium’ of the people, the very drug that an individual can escape from their own reality, into a world in which Adorno and Korkheimer describe in this particular extract as ‘spiritual’.
This is why I feel film as a medium is described in this extract as an art that is ‘its own, self-enclosed area, which is withdrawn from the context of profane existence, and in which special laws apply.’ The idea that it creates its own laws, logic and reality set in almost a separate existence it’s almost as if it has its own universe, its own ‘bubble’ sense of that although it resonates within our world, it still has its own unique existence, kept within its own circumference and boundaries.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jon2324 said:
Man I would help but I have no idea what all that stuff is! I've never seen it before in my life
I HAVENT!!! I swear all of that is bullshit to me, it doesnt make sence. I dont think its supposed to!
WHAT DO I DO?
I have till 4pm tomorrow...
Someone pleaseeee help :(

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The Kanye Stan said:
I HAVENT!!! I swear all of that is bullshit to me, it doesnt make sence. I dont think its supposed to!
WHAT DO I DO?
I have till 4pm tomorrow...
Someone pleaseeee help :(
hit Lupe up i bet he could write something. prolly make it rhyme too lol

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
At least from the first few sentences, I feel like it's getting at the notion that art, or even film, exists on its own plane. Meaning that a film, no matter how it may resemble realistic attributes (values, behavior, etc.), operates on its own rules and thus is its own world.

·
Premium Member
11,020 Posts
This is fucked!  We need some type of context to know wtf they're talking about.  Is this a book?

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mmonty86 said:
At least from the first few sentences, I feel like it's getting at the notion that art, or even film, exists on its own plane. Meaning that a film, no matter how it may resemble realistic attributes (values, behavior, etc.), operates on its own rules and thus is its own world.
Yeh I got this too! (read my first paragraph at the top)
But now ive wrote that paragraph, where do I go from there?
Does anyone else get anything from reading it?
What do you think about it in an alaytical veiw?

Anything atall will help guys :(

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
The Kanye Stan said:
Yeh I got this too! (read my first paragraph at the top)
But now ive wrote that paragraph, where do I go from there?
Does anyone else get anything from reading it?
What do you think about it in an alaytical veiw?

Anything atall will help guys :(
My apologies, I just now saw that.  You seem to be off to a good start. Perhaps you could start with the idea that a progressive film, one that seemingly smashes convention (i.e. 2001: A Space Odyssey) is initially misunderstood upon its release, much like a progressive movement or idea is in real life(i.e. civil rights or unions). Initially they're seen as jarring pieces to both the film and real world, but as time goes on, they're appreciated and duplicated as the norm....Or perhaps I'm reaching.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts