Kanye to The banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the original MacBook Air (the one from like 2008) and it's getting pretty slow. The battery also no longer holds a full charge. At 20% my computer will die if I don't plug it in. There's also a "condition: replace now:" message when I select my battery. I've gotten the hard drive replaced once, the battery replaced once or twice, and the sound card replaced. I also had a new back piece replaced after it snapped (this was an original manufacturer defect). So my laptop has really seen it's life but it still works fine - it's just slow. These are the specs:

1.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB of RAM
100 GB HD

My budget is $12/1300 MAX and right now I'm really leaning towards the newest MacBook Air. I really love the design of the MacBook Air, especially the new design of the new MacBook Air (instant on, thinner design, 2 USB ports, seamless trackpad, softer keyboard, faster specs).

So while the MacBook Air seems like the obvious choice I was wondering what you guys think? Does anyone have the latest MacBook Air? What do you think? I noticed the latest MBA has a 1.7 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM. I know the regular MacBook Pro 13" has better specs but I'm not a huge fan of the thicker design.

Lastly, I could opt for an entry level iMac, which are really nice, and would be a lot faster than a MBA but of course then I would lose portability. I could keep my existing MBA as a portable device but I'm just worried if the battery dies and then I would need to replace it again.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d stoner said:
for 12-1300 bucks why not buy a windows laptop with double the specs your looking at?

looking online u could probly find a 2.5+Ghz, triple/quad core for that price.
Not really a huge fan of windows. Love the sleek modern designs of Macs. Last two computers have been Macs as well.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pusha E said:
wait till june, they are probably combining the Macbook Pro and Air lines
Hmm interesting. I could probably wait till then. Honestly I'll probably get another Air but I just wanted to explore some other options while I'm debating it all over.

·
Registered
151,883 Posts
Dick Whitman said:
Ok so I have the original MacBook Air (the one from like 2008) and it's getting pretty slow. The battery also no longer holds a full charge. At 20% my computer will die if I don't plug it in. There's also a "condition: replace now:" message when I select my battery. I've gotten the hard drive replaced once, the battery replaced once or twice, and the sound card replaced. I also had a new back piece replaced after it snapped (this was an original manufacturer defect). So my laptop has really seen it's life but it still works fine - it's just slow. These are the specs:

1.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB of RAM
100 GB HD

My budget is $12/1300 MAX and right now I'm really leaning towards the newest MacBook Air. I really love the design of the MacBook Air, especially the new design of the new MacBook Air (instant on, thinner design, 2 USB ports, seamless trackpad, softer keyboard, faster specs).

So while the MacBook Air seems like the obvious choice I was wondering what you guys think? Does anyone have the latest MacBook Air? What do you think? I noticed the latest MBA has a 1.7 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM. I know the regular MacBook Pro 13" has better specs but I'm not a huge fan of the thicker design.

Lastly, I could opt for an entry level iMac, which are really nice, and would be a lot faster than a MBA but of course then I would lose portability. I could keep my existing MBA as a portable device but I'm just worried if the battery dies and then I would need to replace it again.

Any suggestions?
LOOB dont get the macbook air it has very little memory and no disc drive
get a macbook pro thats the obvious choice

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Denzel Washington said:
2 usb ports :oblivious:
Honestly 2 USB ports sounds great. I only have 1 now lol. But seriously I don't care about a lack of CD drive or ports. I would expect the 4 year successor of my laptop to perform much better. I have 2 GB of RAM, the new ones have 4.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Dick Whitman said:
Honestly 2 USB ports sounds great. I only have 1 now lol. But seriously I don't care about a lack of CD drive or ports. I would expect the 4 year successor of my laptop to perform much better. I have 2 GB of RAM, the new ones have 4.
choose the lowest ram and then just upgrade later on, its pretty easy
picked up 8GBs of RAM for my MBP from NewEgg.com for like $40

·
Registered
18,115 Posts
If you still are interested, you could wait untill the new macs come out, there are rumors floating around saying that they will just combine the MacBooks so you can have a MacBook Air-esq design, but with Pro-esq power.
Just rumors, but sound pretty cool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.