Kanye to The banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way this single was dropped without any fanfare--and on a weekend, no less--makes it feel like somehow it's not really his first, official single. But, it is apparently, and will probably feel more like it once it's rolled out on itunes. So I thought I'd post what some are saying about it:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/louder-now-blog/bal-drakes-new-single-headlines-is-a-surprise-20110801,0,1820730.story?track=rss
Drake and 'Headlines': A charming surprise with real bounce
What was the highlight of Drake's weekend? Ask him, and he'd likely answer hosting the second OVOFest, the one night of the year Toronto becomes hip-hop's Mecca. Or maybe he'd get more specific and say having Nas come out to perform "Made You Look" was the best part. He wouldn't be off-base to say Stevie Wonder's mini-set in the middle of the concert was an achievement few rappers could pull off, let alone any rapper under 25. These are all worthy answers but the true highlight came quietly at 1:30 a.m. Sunday, when Drake dropped "Headlines," the first single from his forthcoming album, Take Care (due on his birthday, Oct. 24.)

If you've paid attention to the too-good-for-just-Mediafire freebies ("Dreams Money Can Buy," "Trust Issues") and DJ Khaled's summer anthem "I'm On One," you know two things: A) Drake is killing anything he touches right now and B) His maudlin, faded songs are so insular, so disconnected from the four-on-the-floor clubs that you wonder if he ever leaves the studio or just chooses to get bent comfortably. And that's why "Headlines," produced by Noah "40" Shebib and Boi-1da, is a real surprise. The usual dank and cold beats are replaced with a buoyant, staccato synth line and Casio snares. The song just goes, without a soft-to-loud dynamic or even obvious entry and exit points for its verses and hooks.

The beat calls for such a sing-song flow that few rappers could tackle it (although, in the coming days, I'm sure we'll see the attempts). This is a beat only Drake could rock to its fullest potential, and he does, falling in love with the sounds of the punctuating "... like that" and the instant ear-worm "they know, they know, they know." "Headlines" possesses a hypnotizing effect that could make it easy to gloss over, something I was guilty of the first time I heard it. (The bounce and the kick-drum had me under a spell.) But give it a few spins and be reminded of his lyrical charm - part braggadocio, part isolation, all sticky combinations of phrases your mind will repeat:

"Then she wanna ask when it got so empty / tell her I apologize, happened over time / She says they miss the old Drake, girl don't tempt me / If they don't get it, they'll be over you / That new s--- that you got is overdue / You better do what you're supposed to do / I'm like why I gotta be all that? But still I can't deny the fact that it's true."

"Over," Thank Me Later's first single, was an attempt to capture and capitalize on Drake's momentum post-"Best I Ever Had." As grandiose and pretty the strings sound, it never felt like a 100 percent natural fit, like a batter trying to will a game-winning grand slam for his 3,000th hit. "Headlines" doesn't even try to fit that mold, and it works better for it. While Kanye West, Jay-Z and Lil Wayne have attempted to shift the summer conversations to their projects, it's Drake who has rap fans anticipating the fall.
http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/08/01/drake-take-care-headlines-stevie-wonder/
Drake releases 'Take Care' single 'Headlines'

Similar to how he brought in his last album Thank Me Later with "Over"-a cut that didn't scream "pop smash!" but was a quality tone-setter

The cut, "Headlines," is a menacing beginning for the highly anticipated set. Aware of those who think his decline is imminent, Drake kicks his first verse off by saying that the negativity surrounding him is actually motivation to continue on his hot streak. Finding his groove shouldn't be too difficult, considering he's featured on "I'm On One." It's the biggest rap record of the summer. Still, he asks for help.

"I had someone tell me I fell off/ Oh, I needed that / And the they want to see me pick back up/ Well, where'd I leave it at?" he raps melodically.

As usual, Drake's vocals switch lanes-swerving in and out of spitting rhymes and crooning the "They know" hook. It's a solid record and wonderful warm-up. But it's certainly not one I expect to reach the top 10 on the Billboard hot 100 singles chart. I'll be on the lookout for his second single, which will likely be the pop one he'll ride into the stores when Take Care drops October 24.

And is if fans need more reasons to be excited about Drizzy's Care, this morning news hit that iconic soul singer Stevie Wonder assisted with several songs on the record.

"I'm honored to call him a friend, someone who embraced me very early in this music business," Drake told MuchMusic. "Stevie Wonder is actually on Take Care. He helped me out with a lot of the music, just came and sat with me, listened to my music, told me where I could add a couple things to make it more sonically appealing, and not only that but we actually are writing together, which is an incredible experience."
http://www.djbooth.net/index/tracks/review/drake-headlines/
Drake - Headlines
Few artists have ever exploded onto the scene as quickly as Aubrey Graham. It was only two or three years ago when a buddy told me to check out this guy named Drake - So Far Gone dropped a few months later and seemingly overnight he was a fixture in America's iPods. But what does this all prove? That Drake is definitely someone that can create Headlines. Today is no different as the Toronto rapper-turnt-singa-turnt-rapper drops off the first official single from his sophomore effort, Take Care. Produced by Boi-1da, Headlines is fully equipped with an arsenal of horns and snares over which Drake implants his relatable raps and addictive singing. Reflecting on how life has changed for him, in typical Drizzy lyrically alternates between tackling his insecurities, the challenges of fame and, while he's at it, some outright stunting. It sounds like not much has changed since Thank Me Later this is the same blend of humility and braggadocio rap that he's made his trademark. With Take Care's October 24 release date approaching, prepare for Drake's name pop up in the Headlines with increasing frequency.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-beat-goes-on/posts/listen-drake-has-had-it-on-take-care
Listen: Drake has had it on 'Headlines'
Drake is officially over it. If last year's "Over" showed his weariness of his burgeoning fame, on new single "Headlines," he's had it with the industry and many of the faux rappers that pretend they are in the same league as his greatness.

He talks about how empty all of this feels to him, and yet, heavy is the head that wears the throne, there's just simply no one who can do what he does. It's a curse.

On "Headlines," he weaves his sleepy raps around string lines for a fairly static, but oddly compelling, tune. He made us laugh with this rhyme: "Listen to you expressin' all these feelings, soap opera rappers, all these n****** sound like 'All My Children. if that's who you think is coming about to make a killing, i guess it really is me, myself and all my millions."

"Take Care" is the first single from Drake's new album, "Take Care," out in October. The album includes collaborations with Stevie Wonder on six tracks, Drake told MuchMusic.com. The two appeared together last night at Drake's OVO Festival in Toronto.

"He helped me out with a lot of the music, just came and sat with me, listened to my music, told me where I could add a couple things to make it more sonically appealing, and not only that but we actually are writing together, which is an incredible experience," Drake told the video outlet.
http://neonlimelight.com/2011/07/31/new-music-drakes-take-care-grabs-headlines-with-first-single/
New Music: Drake's 'Take Care' Grabs "Headlines" With First Single
The morning before Drake makes headlines for headlining his OVO Festival tonight in Toronto, he's making headlines across the music blogs by dropping his new single, appropriately titled "Headlines."

The Boi-1da-produced track is said to be the official first single from Drizzy's long-awaited sophomore album, Take Care, but the quiet release to his blog with the option to download the track for free screams this is yet another buzz single. But who knows. Drizzy could be feeling generous with the free downloads before he puts it on iTunes.

Anyone hoping for a boisterous blast back for Drizzy will likely be disappointed by "Headlines." Like "Over," the lead single from Drake's Thank Me Later, "Headlines" carries a quiet confidence and makes its mark mostly with its introspective lyrics rather than a ringtone-worthy beat and catchy hook. And that's more than likely exactly what Drake wanted to accomplish since, as he told Rolling Stone, he "hate singles." "With this album, I want to tell a whole story," he said. "I don't want people to just hear a piece and judge the album on that."
http://rap.about.com/od/songreviews/fr/Drake-Headlines.htm
Drake - "Headlines"
Sometime in 2009, I messed around and learned how to make Indian stir-fry. I rarely varied my dinner after that. I've probably made stir-fry over five hundred times since then. Now when I tell people I'm making stir-fry, they just look at me as if I've told them I doo-dooed on myself. Occasionally, someone will ask the obvious: "Again??"

I can't help myself. Stir-fry tastes like heaven. More importantly, it's easy to make. You only need 4 key ingredients, a few spices, and a functioning brain. Thanks to years of practice, I can now make stir-fry blindfolded.

Bottom line: if you do something often it eventually becomes second nature. Like driving or brushing your teeth. Or stir-frying. I've perfected the art of making stir-fry without being fully present. I don't think about it; I just do it. Swoosh. And don't get me wrong, it still tastes like delicious goodness, somehow, even if I'm only half paying attention.

What does any of that have to do with Drake's new single, "Headlines," which appears on his upcoming sophomore album, Take Care? You know, the one where he laments the perils of success, rails against critics, and bemoans the love-hate cycle of stardom. You know, the one where he rides a catchy Boi-1da beat while yelling "money over everything" and "money on my mind" back to back. You know, the one that's likely to crawl into your brain and stay there for awhile, even though you've heard someone say some of these things somewhere. What does Drake's "Headlines" have to do with my stir-frying prowess? Absolutely nothing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/01/drake-headlines_n_914473.html
Drake, 'Headlines'

Drake's upcoming album, Take Care, doesn't drop until October, but he's been sprinkling the road with tracks to whet our appetite. The rapper dropped his new single, "Headlines," on his blog on Sunday.

"Headlines," like the last track he released, "Marvin's Room," concerns itself mostly with themes of excess, fame and regret. Whereas "Marvin's Room" is more devastating, "Headlines" doesn't dwell so much in its despair, and has the kind of flash you would expect a song titled "Headlines" to have.
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2011/07/new-music-drake-headlines
Drake Makes "Headlines" With The First Official Single From Take Care

Despite his reserved demeanor, Aubrey Graham doesn't shy away from the spotlight; he embraces it. He had an unabashed audacity to name his critically-acclaimed debut album, Thank Me Later and now, he's back proclaiming the first official taste of his sophomore album to make "Headlines." When you're talented, you're allowed some leeway with your confidence and Drake has the entire floor at his disposal.
http://www.desihits.com/news/view/drake-is-making-headlines-20110801
Drake is Making 'Headlines'

Before Drake could tell his fans 'I'm on One' on stage in Toronto he gifted them with his first single 'Headlines' from his next album Take Care set to drop this October. In 'Headlines', Drake takes on his competitors that have told him to only rap and not sing with these lyrics 'Soap opera rappers, all these n----s sound like 'All My Children'/ And that's who you thinkin' is 'bout to come and make a killin'?/ I guess it really is just me, myself and all my millions."

Indeed, Drake has no self-esteem issues in this track and is sure his career is going in the right direction. The track is produced by Boi-1da & Noah "40″ Shebib and has a faint echo of what we heard in 'Marvin's Room'. However, Drake does make our headlines with this song.
Feel free to post other reviews you find and/or post your own! :) (Please write more than "this is dope" or "this sucks!" How does it rate as a first single? Why do you think he chose it as a first single? How does it measure up to previous work? I'm reading a lot of comments about how it's giving people a "So Far Gone" flashback mixed with TML).

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reviews might be easier to read by just clicking on the links provided...just an FYI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts