Kanye to The banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you frequent grantland.com, but it's an outstanding website with insight and analysis on sports, music & entertainment.

Check out this track by track review:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/79678/the-book-of-yeezus-a-song-by-song-analysis-of-kanye-wests-new-album

I was specifically caught by the review for Blood on the Leaves....sums up my thoughts perfectly:

7. "Blood on the Leaves"

Rembert Browne: The thing that sucks about music is you can hear something for the first time only once. While I'll never forget my first listening of Yeezus, which took place during a midafternoon drive through spottily serviced Tennessee, the I wish I could bottle this moment and access it whenever I want to feel things forever and ever, amen moment came 1:07 into "Blood on the Leaves."

Seven tracks into an album titled Yeezus, having passed through songs called "Black Skinhead" and "New Slaves" and "I Am a God," the Nina Simone "Strange Fruit" sample barely registered as shocking. Actually, it was more of an Of course he did feeling - neither positive nor negative, but completely predictable in its hyper-black, out-of-left-field, potentially farfetched relationship/slavery metaphor.

But everything changes at 1:07. That's when Kanye (by way of TNGHT's "R U Ready") unleashes the entire marching band and figuratively beats your face into submission.

The abrasive nature of the fanfare is an appropriate introduction to the rest of this song, a tale of Kanye scolding a mystery woman for messing up what they could have been, followed by a Kanye rant thinly veiled as "Verse 3."

The tale of the groupie and Kanye's feelings on said groupie is a theme he's tackled many a time, so much so that any of us should feel overqualified to represent Kanye's feelings on groupies should he ever need a proxy. Because of that, it's one of the least interesting topics he covers on the album. Not bad, but I get it, Kanye. We all do.

But those horns will continue to bring me back. And I'm not mad about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts