Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
24,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How ironic that Ye's best selling album is also his least critically acclaimed, his least talked about (on here), and is frequently described as his 'worst'.

I think a lot of the hate for Grad stems from the shift of perspective that people interpret as Ye going 'commercial'. CD and LR were clever, unique, and fresh in both their musical approach and lyrical output. They had songs that made us cry (Hey Mama, Roses) songs that made us sit and listen in contemplation (Heard Em Say, All Falls Down), and songs that were straight up bangers (DFSL, Touch the Sky, Through the Wire, list goes on).

One idea that I'd like to bring forth is this: it's not that Kanye West dumbed down his content and made his music more appealing to sell more records. Graduation is an album more personal than CD, OR LR. For example, Can't Tell Me Nothing is far from a song meant to brag about his wealthy he is. It's an almost mournful examination of Kanye's own lack of focus, due to his infatuation (or even obsession) with material things. His first verse is clearly introspective, and I'd say that it's a more personal song than any other song he's ever made, sans Hey Mama. In the hook, you hear the sarcastic 'Then you can't tell me nothing, right?' which is followed by a verse that continues to mock the arrogant, lavish lifestyle that causes many to forgo things that are truly important (as implied in the song: God, education).

In my opinion, CTMN is also one of Ye's most slept on songs in general. Even if you don't like how it sounds, you can't help but appreciate the (self)awareness apparent in the song, as well as deliberate on the song's message. While I could try and defend each and every song included on the album, I think CTMN encompasses it nicely. Songs like Champion, I Wonder, Flashing Lights, Stronger, they aren't 'meaningless' as compared to LR and CD songs, they're just more personal. I would also argue that Ye's musical sound on this album is as a whole better than the previous two, but that's a matter of opinion.

This was written kinda sloppily and I haven't proofread it, so I apologize for its length and if I'm unclear at any point.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
FemiO said:
How ironic that Ye's best selling album is also his least critically acclaimed, his least talked about (on here), and is frequently described as his 'worst'.

I think a lot of the hate for Grad stems from the shift of perspective that people interpret as Ye going 'commercial'. CD and LR were clever, unique, and fresh in both their musical approach and lyrical output. They had songs that made us cry (Hey Mama, Roses) songs that made us sit and listen in contemplation (Heard Em Say, All Falls Down), and songs that were straight up bangers (DFSL, Touch the Sky, Through the Wire, list goes on).

One idea that I'd like to bring forth is this: it's not that Kanye West dumbed down his content and made his music more appealing to sell more records. Graduation is an album more personal than CD, OR LR. For example, Can't Tell Me Nothing is far from a song meant to brag about his wealthy he is. It's an almost mournful examination of Kanye's own lack of focus, due to his infatuation (or even obsession) with material things. His first verse is clearly introspective, and I'd say that it's a more personal song than any other song he's ever made, sans Hey Mama. In the hook, you hear the sarcastic 'Then you can't tell me nothing, right?' which is followed by a verse that continues to mock the arrogant, lavish lifestyle that causes many to forgo things that are truly important (as implied in the song: God, education).

In my opinion, CTMN is also one of Ye's most slept on songs in general. Even if you don't like how it sounds, you can't help but appreciate the (self)awareness apparent in the song, as well as deliberate on the song's message. While I could try and defend each and every song included on the album, I think CTMN encompasses it nicely. Songs like Champion, I Wonder, Flashing Lights, Stronger, they aren't 'meaningless' as compared to LR and CD songs, they're just more personal. I would also argue that Ye's musical sound on this album is as a whole better than the previous two, but that's a matter of opinion.

This was written kinda sloppily and I haven't proofread it, so I apologize for its length and if I'm unclear at any point.
besides the fact that 808s is actually his most critically acclaimed album i agree with this all the way. Grad is prob my 1st or 2nd fav album to listen to, even tho theyre all beautiful

1 - 20 of 248 Posts