Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im just starting to get back into producing. Ive been doing it for like 5 years, but about 2 years ago I took my midi controller, motif rack, headphones, turntables, pretty much everything but my computer, interface, and speakers, and sold them.
Ish has been killing me. So ive decided to get back into it.
Now my computer is a DINOSAUR. So im basically back to square one.
So where do you guys think I should start?
Ive always been a major fan of the MPC. My friend had a 2000 and I straight loved that ish, and ive always wanted one.
But Ive also been hella feeling the Maschine. And I actually almost ordered one tonight, but than I realized that that ish isnt completely stand alone and i would need to cop a new computer for DAW.
Ive owned both a Mac and a PC,  and personally, imma Mac fan and i fucking love Logic . So I was kinda debating picking up a Mac book Pro for college before this.
Basically I just want yours guys opinion on what I should copeeee.

LEGGGGOOO! :slick:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I have just as much experience in FL as i do Logic. Hell, I have more experience in FL. Logic & Reason were just the last thing I used so I guess Im being biased. But honestly I leaning more in the kinda stand alone direction. I like using a DAW but I dont really have like 2 grand blow on a computer, and even though I never owned one, for the couple times ive fucked with em, i like the workflow better on a sampler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
use the one u are most experienced in. all the daws are the same, just different ways to do things
Gazoo said:
But I have just as much experience in FL as i do Logic. Hell, I have more experience in FL. Logic & Reason were just the last thing I used so I guess Im being biased. But honestly I leaning more in the kinda stand alone direction. I like using a DAW but I dont really have like 2 grand blow on a computer, and even though I never owned one, for the couple times ive fucked with em, i like the workflow better on a sampler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Sounds good guys. I'll probably just pick up a maxed out Mac book within the next week or so. But I'm still wanting some hardware.
MPC or Maschine? I think I'm leaning more towards MPC right now. I just am not sure which model to cop, and what I'd need if I went that route.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,564 Posts
Nader said:
use the one u are most experienced in. all the daws are the same, just different ways to do things
Not true: Some have better plugins, different features, how they save project files and most importantly, different usage of CPU power.

FL Studio has to be the worst at using this, because any other program I use to run VST's runs smoothly, but FL damn near makes my computer crash every time I run it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al Capone said:
Not true: Some have better plugins, different features, how they save project files and most importantly, different usage of CPU power.

FL Studio has to be the worst at using this, because any other program I use to run VST's runs smoothly, but FL damn near makes my computer crash every time I run it.
I noticed this too. Rewiring Reason and a couple vsts would slow my shit down a ridiculous amount.
And as to the dude who suggested Ableton. I've actually fucked with that too. It's just not really my thing.. And as far as music goes, I will be cranking shit out like crazy once I get back into the swing of things.
Opinions on the hardware situation though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
Gazoo said:
I noticed this too. Rewiring Reason and a couple vsts would slow my shit down a ridiculous amount.
And as to the dude who suggested Ableton. I've actually fucked with that too. It's just not really my thing.. And as far as music goes, I will be cranking shit out like crazy once I get back into the swing of things.
Opinions on the hardware situation though?
midi keyboard
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,564 Posts
Gazoo said:
I noticed this too. Rewiring Reason and a couple vsts would slow my shit down a ridiculous amount.
And as to the dude who suggested Ableton. I've actually fucked with that too. It's just not really my thing.. And as far as music goes, I will be cranking shit out like crazy once I get back into the swing of things.
Opinions on the hardware situation though?
Get an imac instead of a macbook pro, unless you get a 15 inch. If you don't have a quad core, you'll be crying if you mix down anything more than 15 tracks.

I say imac because the intro model has the quad core ($1199 - $100 for student discount), the apple care protection plan is cheaper with the imac (really valuable/covers it for 3 years), and doesn't get so damn hot.

The macbook pro, you'll have to spend at least $1799 for a quad core, and it gets hot as fuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Al Capone said:
Get an imac instead of a macbook pro, unless you get a 15 inch. If you don't have a quad core, you'll be crying if you mix down anything more than 15 tracks.

I say imac because the intro model has the quad core ($1199 - $100 for student discount), the apple care protection plan is cheaper with the imac (really valuable/covers it for 3 years), and doesn't get so damn hot.

The macbook pro, you'll have to spend at least $1799 for a quad core, and it gets hot as fuck.
Thanks for the advice bro. And yeah I was looking at the pros last night and I was like damn. Prices were crazy once I got it to workable specs.
But so you think I should go back to software instead of switching over to hardware?

And to Nader, a controller is coming soon no matter what. Id be pretty lost without some keys
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,564 Posts
Gazoo said:
Thanks for the advice bro. And yeah I was looking at the pros last night and I was like damn. Prices were crazy once I got it to workable specs.
But so you think I should go back to software instead of switching over to hardware?

And to Nader, a controller is coming soon no matter what. Id be pretty lost without some keys
I try to record everything live nowadays, even drums if I can, so hardware isn't much of a need. The only think I need is a damn good keyboard, because I play the piano, so I'm picky with that shit.

I can't have a shitty keyboard.... and the one I got right now, its kinda shitty. Its 76 keys and all but its not weighted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al Capone said:
I try to record everything live nowadays, even drums if I can, so hardware isn't much of a need. The only think I need is a damn good keyboard, because I play the piano, so I'm picky with that shit.

I can't have a shitty keyboard.... and the one I got right now, its kinda shitty. Its 76 keys and all but its not weighted.
Yeah. I feel you. I don't know. I guess I've always just been a hardware fan. But only 76 keys? You need to upgrade and cop yourself a motif, or fantom. Your mind will be blown.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,564 Posts
Gazoo said:
Yeah. I feel you. I don't know. I guess I've always just been a hardware fan. But only 76 keys? You need to upgrade and cop yourself a motif, or fantom. Your mind will be blown.
Sounds on those are pretty good overall, and I don't like the action on the fantom that much.

Nord and Korg have better piano/keyboard sounds and better action tbh.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,564 Posts
Gazoo said:
Now you're making me wanna cop a Triton!
Damn. Soo much gear that i want.. And it's not like I don't have the money. I'm just being stingy as hellllll.
Nord's gonna have the best piano sounds; they spend alot of time sampling different models and you can import more on, but I haven't played one, so I can't comment on the action.

I can't afford one. I mean I have the money, but I need to save the money for emergencies. I'll probably just end up getting the Korg SV1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Al Capone said:
Nord's gonna have the best piano sounds; they spend alot of time sampling different models and you can import more on, but I haven't played one, so I can't comment on the action.

I can't afford one. I mean I have the money, but I need to save the money for emergencies. I'll probably just end up getting the Korg SV1
I'm in the same situation. Kinda. Haha. I have the money, Im just a stingy bitch. But what keys would you recommend my dude?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,564 Posts
Gazoo said:
I'm in the same situation. Kinda. Haha. I have the money, Im just a stingy bitch. But what keys would you recommend my dude?
If you want mainly piano/EPs/organs/vintage keyboards/etc:
Nord Piano
Nord Piano 2
Korg SV1
Roland RD300NX or 700NX (make sure its the NX/they have different keys than the others)

If you need a workstation:
Korg Kronos
Nord Stage
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top