Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is Kanye using his Ensoniq ASR-10 ? isn't a MPC enough ? I thought a ASR -10 is the same as a MPC ,only keys instead of pads?Can you tell me the differences between those 2 machines ?

·
Premium Member
41,102 Posts
ASR is a MIDI keyboard which allows you put to samples on the keys. MPC is a drum machine that allow you to assign drums, bass, and samples on to pads. There are many different tools used to sample music I guess he likes switching it up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
the ASR-10 and the MPC2000XL is known as one of the deadliest combos in music production... It allows you to do so much... the MPC is limited on sample time, even after you upgrade the memory... the ASR-10 allows you to have multiple samples and they can be laid out throughout the keys... he does his sampling on the ASR and all his programming/sequencing on his MPC... it's convenient and I'm sure it allows him to work faster...

... after the beat is done and sequenced, everything is on the MP, so it allows him to just use the MP for live performances...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yo thank Infamous an Akil for your answer but would you advise me ? to buy a MPC 2000Xl + Ensoniq ASR-10 or to buy a MPC 2500 + Yamaha Motif. I got the Motif already .

·
Registered
325 Posts
it really depends on what you want to do... keep in mind the MPC 2000XL is from like 99' if I can remember correctly... and the ASR is from 91'.... You can say they are vintage pieces... if you are a sample based producer, I would recommend...

... if you compose, stick to the Yamaha and cop the 2500... it's a very up-to-date set up...

... but again, it all depends on what you want to do...

·
Premium Member
41,102 Posts
Gud question. Rite now i have a keyboard an im lookin to buy a mpc. i found a used mpc 1000 and 2000xl at gud prices but its really gonna hurt mi pockets. im leanin towards the 1000 cuz it can get alot done for a really gud price. But to answer your question i wud go wit the 2500 because those are curently being manufactured at the moment unlike the 2000xl. If u got the 2000xl an it broke idk if the manufacturing plant would b able to fix it due to it being outdated. The 1000, 2500, and 2000xl are very powerful machines u jus gotta look at the technical sides of them

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
AKIL said:
ASR is a MIDI keyboard which allows you put to samples on the keys. MPC is a drum machine that allow you to assign drums, bass, and samples on to pads. There are many different tools used to sample music I guess he likes switching it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what would you say is the average price of a MPC 2000XL and if would take the Ensoniq + MPC2000XL option , do I need a Zip Drive with SCSI to share samples ?

·
Premium Member
41,102 Posts
I honestly can't give u an average. The 1000 new is $1000 an $800 used. The 2500 is about $1800 new. The 2000xl is in between those when it comes to features but u gotta take into account that if u buy one that it will b used but that its also a vintage machine with great capabilities. Sorry if that doesn't help but my advice would be to shop around to stores like Best Buy, Sam Ash, Craigslist or anywhere online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so you don't think I need to buy a new display in forseeable time ?t hey are really expensive man!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's a good preview of the MPC 500 , but in my opinion the MPC 500 just kook like a happy meal toy  ;)

·
Premium Member
41,102 Posts
Mavi said:
that's a good preview of the MPC 500 , but in my opinion the MPC 500 just kook like a happy meal toy  ;)
Exactly I wouldn't waste mi money on a 500
Mavi said:
so you don't think I need to buy a new display in forseeable time ?t hey are really expensive man!
What do u mean by display?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts