Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is just to give out advice about selling online mainly Ebay since its the most popular. I been selling vintage items, boots, shoes, and random stuff around the house for 3 years now. My goal in this thread is just to give anyone advice about Ebay, the basics, reputation/how to build it up, shipping practices, pricing, etc. All the Information is from personal experience. I sell on Ebay and another site called Etsy(pretty much died down for me not sure why) but here are some pictures to prove I'm not just bullshitting

ETSY

EBAY

How to get started on Ebay?

The first step would be to sign up for an Ebay account which is really simply to do.(www.ebay.com). When you picking a user name make sure its something universal that can sell everything. I kinda screwed up mine since it has certain clothes in the title, if I could change it I would but way too late now. You don't want to name yourself JERSEY-FOR-CHEAP then sell computer parts for example.

Second step you will need a paypal(www.paypal.com) account to link your Ebay account with if you plan on selling. If you plan on opening an Ebay store(not needed to sell) you will need to attach a credit/debit card to the account as well. To set up a paypal account you will need a bank account to be linked to it. There are 2 main paypal account types; business and personal. A personal account is just fine, been using mine for over 4 years without a problem. Once you get a paypal account you can also request a debit card. This makes getting money out of your account extremely easy. There are 3 different ways to get money from your paypal account; Transfer to a bank account(doesn't have to be the linked one), Paypal can write you a check, or you can use your debit card. I normally xfer my personal amount then use my debit card at a ATM to withdraw my dads. Daily ATM limit is set to $400(not sure if you can change it, never been a problem). And use CHASE atm they are free since Paypal is associated with CHASE Bank.

What to sell on Ebay?
You can pretty much sell anything you can get your hands on. Best bet is trying to get items you can constantly get so you have a steady inventory of items to list. I sell used shoes, random items around the house I don't use anymore, and recently a few old computer parts.

How to list on Ebay?
Listing is also fairly easy but I suggest you do research on Ebay before you jump in and start listing your items. If your selling popular stuff like electronics, some clothing, games, parts, etc. Ebay has an auto fill information on those items, so makes it even easier. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES, when your listing an item also include pictures no matter what it is. Only exception is if its brand new but even including a picture of the box is helpful. Make sure you take pictures of any deficits that YOU think are in the item, and also make sure you mention in the listing also. I use SELLERS NOTE'S then just explain what I think maybe wrong. BIGGEST THING ALWAYS UNDERSELL YOUR ITEM IN THE LISTING(this protects you from negative feedback).

How a sale/payment on Ebay works?
When your item sells you get an email from Ebay right away. "YOUR EBAY ITEM SOLD!!!" then it says the item. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE CUSTOMER HAS SENT A PAYMENT YET. Once I get the message I normally send an invoice to the buyer of the item total and shipping cost(you can adjust the shipping cost on the invoice, BUT BUT I advise you not). If they buy multiply items it is really important to send an invoice to include all the items they have won and offer a combined shipping cost.

Once you receive payment you get a email from PAYPAL that normally says Item "#13***********3 Instant payment received from [customer's email]" THEN IS WHEN THE MONEY IS IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND IT IS SAFE TO SEND THE ITEM. Normally 90% of the customers payment comes like this but you can also send an Echeck(which has to clear before it enters your paypal account) NEVER SHIP AN ITEM BEFORE IT IS CLEARED BY PAYPAL.

FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTION AND I WILL HELP OUT TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITIES, I WILL ALSO ADD SOME MORE STUFF BUT ITS GETTING LATE NOW HEADING TO SLEEP.

·
Banned
13,149 Posts
nice

i've made a shit ton of money selling video games I don't play in big lots of like 30 games. I get like $600 each lot. I still got more to sell.

ive thought about trying to get cheap music equipment from cragislist and flipping it on ebay for way more. im trying to think of shit that i could have a steady inventory of,cause theres only so much stuff i have lying around to sell

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uncle Jesse said:
nice

i've made a shit ton of money selling video games I don't play in big lots of like 30 games. I get like $600 each lot. I still got more to sell.

ive thought about trying to get cheap music equipment from cragislist and flipping it on ebay for way more. im trying to think of shit that i could have a steady inventory of,cause theres only so much stuff i have lying around to sell
I think craigslist is a good source for stuff to sell, I hear people talk about it on ebay powerseller forums constantly but it can really be hit and miss. You can also resell stuff you get on ebay but that take lots of time to snipe items

·
Registered
20,516 Posts
nice

im gonna start selling clothing and my old books from last year and some other random stuff i find.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ricky12 said:
nice

im gonna start selling clothing and my old books from last year and some other random stuff i find.
Do it up, both are pretty cheap to ship, Clothes because they are light, and because are consider media so you can use media mail to ship them. Will def have better results if you used free shipping

·
Registered
20,516 Posts
Spythe said:
Do it up, both are pretty cheap to ship, Clothes because they are light, and because are consider media so you can use media mail to ship them. Will def have better results if you used free shipping
my ebay rating is 13 atm thats cos i've only been buying.

i might sell my books through amazon.co.uk as its easier 

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ricky12 said:
my ebay rating is 13 atm thats cos i've only been buying.

i might sell my books through amazon.co.uk as its easier 
Amazon is solid also, never heard anything bad about it

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ivy Crimson said:
how do you price it, do you ebay similar items and take their prices? should I go to a goodwill... what's a good thing to buy like older clothes?
I normally used shoes/boots I find at thrift stores and goodwill is an exact place. My dad got a lot of items from goodwill. I normally just price how I feel its worth but I have been doing it for a while. And most of my listing or best offers as well. So I would say try to sick with shoes/boots they have amazing resale value. If your into fashion you can do vintage clothing but you have to know what to look for.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Spythe said:
I normally used shoes/boots I find at thrift stores and goodwill is an exact place. My dad got a lot of items from goodwill. I normally just price how I feel its worth but I have been doing it for a while. And most of my listing or best offers as well. So I would say try to sick with shoes/boots they have amazing resale value. If your into fashion you can do vintage clothing but you have to know what to look for.
yes I'll try it out, electronics need to be newer techology right unless it's a vintage piece like an 8 track or vinyl player

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ivy Crimson said:
yes I'll try it out, electronics need to be newer techology right unless it's a vintage piece like an 8 track or vinyl player
Yea old electronics are not worth it unless its a collectible like item. I saw a really old apple computer go for like 2k. Here is a few sellers on ebay I use to keep my eyes sharp. All sell vintage/used items

This oen is from Etsy his site is nuts man, everything is priced high and he constantly sales. I have no idea how he finds his stuff.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jamesrowlandshop?ref=seller_info

The rest are Ebay, the best way to look to see what items are going for is his feedback. That way you know it actually sold and the price it went for instead of the listing.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=charadreus&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=positive&interval=30&_trkparms=positive_30

http://shop.ebay.com/joeymest/m.html

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=rjewel01&ftab=AllFeedback

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bohemian-wrap-city&ftab=AllFeedback

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=iheartvtg&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=250786200848&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

http://shop.ebay.com/1jimmyadams1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I heard there are fees in eBay how much do you need to invest in? How much does the boxes cost for shipping things like sneakers?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KingRocky said:
I heard there are fees in eBay how much do you need to invest in? How much does the boxes cost for shipping things like sneakers?
There are 2 kind of Ebay fees, listing and FVF(final value fees). Listing fees are fairly cheap if your doing a fixed price(when you just list a asking price and can add the option of an offer). But when you start doing auctions that is when they go up I believe they start off with dollar then depending on pictures, listing start time, and if the item has a buy it now option. The main difference with listing and FVF is you only pay FVF when the item sells.

I ship all my items Priority for 2 reasons, free flat rate boxes and post offices are everywhere normally within 10min of any location. I think a normal box cost roughly 1-3 dollars if your going to use FedEX or UPS.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Spythe said:
There are 2 kind of Ebay fees, listing and FVF(final value fees). Listing fees are fairly cheap if your doing a fixed price(when you just list a asking price and can add the option of an offer). But when you start doing auctions that is when they go up I believe they start off with dollar then depending on pictures, listing start time, and if the item has a buy it now option. The main difference with listing and FVF is you only pay FVF when the item sells.

I ship all my items Priority for 2 reasons, free flat rate boxes and post offices are everywhere normally within 10min of any location. I think a normal box cost roughly 1-3 dollars if your going to use FedEX or UPS.
Elaborate on FVF and what are common mistakes by newbie ebay users?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KingRocky said:
Elaborate on FVF and what are common mistakes by newbie ebay users?
FVF are a % of what the item sells for which varies depending on if your a power seller or a Top Rated Seller, forgot the exact % since mine has been changing a lot lately. And I would say the most common mistakes is not fully describing the item, you want to mention every single thing on the item so the customer won't be shocked by anything

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Spythe said:
FVF are a % of what the item sells for which varies depending on if your a power seller or a Top Rated Seller, forgot the exact % since mine has been changing a lot lately. And I would say the most common mistakes is not fully describing the item, you want to mention every single thing on the item so the customer won't be shocked by anything
How much would I have to invest to start off?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KingRocky said:
How much would I have to invest to start off?
Honestly nothing off the start if you just looking at the Ebay fees, you should be more worried about finding items to sell. And I would suggest buying a few things on the account you plan on selling on so you at least have some feedback instead of a 0 next to your name. If you actually gonna do this I would suggest using http://www.auctiva.com/ to start off, pictures are free, listing start time is free, but you have to pay a monthly fee. Think the cheapest is about 15 or 20 bucks, I used this site for about a year til I got free pictures on Ebay, after that there was no point

1 - 20 of 30 Posts