Kanye to The banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

He tells me about the "very unspoken connection" he had with SBTRKT while working on the London producer's 2011 debut, for which Sampha wrote, produced, and sang. Later, when Drake received a .zip file of Sampha's music from Young Turks in 2012, the first thing he showed interest in was a mid-tempo beat. Drake didn't end up using it, but the choice was still mind-blowing for Sampha: one of the world's biggest rappers recognized his skills as a producer. Rick Rubin also spotted something in Sampha's music, and invited him out to L.A. to work with Kanye. The place where they met looked like a bungalow in the side of a hill, Sampha tells me, but opened into an underground mansion. He got nervous when Kanye was "really responsive" to the embryonic album tracks he played. "I listened to College Dropout religiously," he says, still in awe even now.

Her cancer went into remission in late 2012. In the relief-fueled year that followed, Sampha's career blossomed. He flew to Toronto to work with Drake on Nothing Was the Same tracks "The Motion" and "Too Much," then to Ghana to work with Solange on music for a forthcoming project. A few months later, he traveled to both Los Angeles and Italy to work on early sessions for Kanye West's The Life of Pablo, resulting in the vulnerable-sounding "Saint Pablo," which Kanye added to the album four months after its release.

http://www.thefader.com/2016/06/28/sampha-cover-story-interview

1 - 7 of 7 Posts