Kanye to The banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We stand in a society of spectacle. The act of consuming is more important than what is being consumed. In the grand scheme, labels and the wider audience that labels cater to don't care about the details of what's being consumed (even if they say otherwise). Music is nothing more than a reflection of social status: from the types of beats we like to the types of lyrical content we gravitate towards and the personalities we see ourselves in - it is all a product to be consumed and there's nothing wrong with that, doesn't make it any less valid as art. It all exists in a cycle. But of course...that's not all it has to be if you choose, you can make it so much more.

Registered
yes! I was gonna make a thread on this! haven't organized my thoughts yet but here's some of them

ppl buy the image, the music is a byproduct to justify the existence of the image.

Music isn鈥檛 a byproduct of the image, it鈥檚 the justification for the image. Before any songs are created the image/story of the character the rapper portrays is crystal clear. That's what artist development used to be for. Whoever funds artists is more important than the art itself because every artist that鈥檚 popular is chosen for a reason. Most fans will like anything they鈥檙e given as long as they see other people like it, or if it makes them feel unique because other people don鈥檛 like it. Look at how Jay transitioned from MCHG to 4:44. I use Jay as an example because he鈥檚 the most calculated rapper and I feel he understands this the most.

I'm speaking more on the function of the music & the role it plays in relation to identity/consumerism rather than its quality or appearance. These artists are pretty faces of a 5d hydra that's designed to drain ur mana.

Registered
Gold Roses said:
Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar and Frank Ocean aren't real artists
'real' artists is a really pretentious term. They are real artists but in a capitalist society you have to find the sweet spot between making art that is as true to what you want to make as possible while sustaining a viable number of people who want to consume it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts