Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After listening to WTT, as a black man, I was struck with how much talk about being black there is on this album. And a white friend of mine even called it racist with all the "black excellence" talk. What if a white rock singer said "this is white excellence right here." It's so unnecessary. This may alienate white buyers and make them feel like they can't connect to many of the songs.

This album also has tracks talking about blacks finally making it and being successful in America, but...

http://pewsocialtrends.org/2011/07/26/wealth-gaps-rise-to-record-highs-between-whites-blacks-hispanics/

An average white person is worth over $100,000 while the average black person is worth less than $5,000. SMH.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChiTownGetDown said:
Nope, musically it panders to white audiences
what do you mean?  a lot of the lyrics deal with "my ******" "where my ******"  talking about malcom x and all the civil rights people "black on black" it's like endless race talk

·
Banned
302 Posts
hopingforthebest said:
what do you mean?  a lot of the lyrics deal with "my ******" "where my ******"  talking about malcom x and all the civil rights people "black on black" it's like endless race talk
Dubstep influences, all the weird synthy type music
Europe is gonna dig this shit

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
hopingforthebest said:
After listening to WTT, as a black man, I was struck with how much talk about being black there is on this album.  And a white friend of mine even called it racist with all the "black excellence" talk.  What if a white rock singer said "this is white excellence right here."  It's so unnecessary.  This may alienate white buyers and make them feel like they can't connect to many of the songs. 
Exactly. Jay-Z is also doing the "black car & black everything" thing on lots of tracks. It's weird how they get away with it. The "black excellence" statements were extremely uncalled for imo. Just like you said.... Everyone knows they are black. Can't they talk about something else or does it really hurt that much?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phucker said:
Exactly. Jay-Z is also doing the "black car & black everything" thing on lots of tracks. It's weird how they get away with it. The "black excellence" statements were extremely uncalled for imo. Just like you said.... Everyone knows they are black. Can't they talk about something else or does it really hurt that much?
!!!

You get what I'm saying.  It's almost tacky on this album, which is a shame because Kanye's last album was so good and had such wide reach.  It's a shame to limit this album to a black audiance only.

·
Banned
302 Posts
hopingforthebest said:
!!!

You get what I'm saying.  It's almost tacky on this album, which is a shame because Kanye's last album was so good and had such wide reach.  It's a shame to limit this album to a black audiance only.
White rap fans love a lot of shit that's aimed at black listeners

Like Ras Kass's Nature of the Threat is straight up racist and I know white people who think that song's brilliant

·
Registered
18,204 Posts
I honestly wasn't shocked, maybe since i'm black, kanye got away with way way worse in my opinion and jay always love to drop some lines of this sort.
Remember his verse in the remix of "my president" in which he does wordplay on colors the whole verse and finish with a double entendre "no more white lies" which means little lies and lies from a white prez.
I honestly think nas does way worse on all his albums for example.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well boo hoo to White buyers.

It's nice for Black men to have something that's ours for a change.  There's a difference between being racial and racist.

As a Black man, I can't really concern myself with the feelings of a white audience.  I take pride in "Black Excellence".  Screw record sales, they're just keeping it real from their perspectives.

We could tighten that ridiculous income gap if we'd unify as a people as opposed to cater our opinions to any other group.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jonye Breasts said:
Well boo hoo to White buyers.

It's nice for Black men to have something that's ours for a change.  There's a difference between being racial and racist.

As a Black man, I can't really concern myself with the feelings of a white audience.  I take pride in "Black Excellence".  Screw record sales, they're just keeping it real from their perspectives.

We could tighten that ridiculous income gap if we'd unify as a people as opposed to cater our opinions to any other group.
you make strong points, but since white people have the money and really decide what music gets buzz wouldn't it be smarter to make albums more accessable to them and drop that black pride stuff

see when someone like 50 does all that gun talk and bragging it's cool to whites.  white boys driving around bumping that Get Rich or Die Trying album STILL.  Because it was tough, street and appealed to everyone.  This black excellence and racial obsession on this album will hurt it's appeal.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
hopingforthebest said:
After listening to WTT, as a black man, I was struck with how much talk about being black there is on this album. And a white friend of mine even called it racist with all the "black excellence" talk. What if a white rock singer said "this is white excellence right here." It's so unnecessary. This may alienate white buyers and make them feel like they can't connect to many of the songs.

This album also has tracks talking about blacks finally making it and being successful in America, but...

http://pewsocialtrends.org/2011/07/26/wealth-gaps-rise-to-record-highs-between-whites-blacks-hispanics/

An average white person is worth over $100,000 while the average black person is worth less than $5,000. SMH.
there's supposedly over a million preorders, I think they've reached the audiance they wanted. :kanyeshrug:

·
Registered
18,204 Posts
hopingforthebest said:
you make strong points, but since white people have the money and really decide what music gets buzz wouldn't it be smarter to make albums more accessable to them and drop that black pride stuff

see when someone like 50 does all that gun talk and bragging it's cool to whites.  white boys driving around bumping that Get Rich or Die Trying album STILL.  Because it was tough, street and appealed to everyone.  This black excellence and racial obsession on this album will hurt it's appeal.
The point of this album is that they no longer care about all this, hence the choice of otis as a single, it doesn't even have a hook nobody does it beside them.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts