Kanye to The banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TPAB is painted as a musical concept that incorporates funk and jazz

To me I don’t hear those elements on songs like Alright, Momma and Hood politics

Or is the concept mentioned because the majority of the songs (not all) utltizes those elements. Like Wesley, King kunta, for free, I, etc.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Choose a username said:
like most the songs have a jazz/funk influence like king kunta......but alright, hood politics and momma doesn’t
considering jazz birthed hip hop, I'd say every song is jazz influenced. Some songs on tpab are just more "jazzy" than the others

·
Registered
29,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ALEXLOPES said:
it's called FUSION

when you mix different genres in the same song, especially jazz + ________ (whatever you want)
I know I’m saying is songs like Alright where the fusion isn’t as present like king kunta for example

·
Banned
29,039 Posts
Choose a username said:
I know I’m saying is songs like Alright where the fusion isn’t as present like king kunta for example
The album isn't limited to jazz and funk, it basically spans all black music and soul gets forgotten. Soul and obviously hip hop are included too and they're often combined together. You mentioned "i" but i is more of soul/funk than jazz/funk. Alright has jazz horns on it and Momma has live bass from Thundercat and a jazzy outro, so even though the beats weren't made for Kendrick, the instrumentation added was and that made it fit better with the album. Besides, the beats on those were soul sampled or influenced anyway which does fit with i and Complexion and These Walls, soul is a part of the album too. Hood Politics is the closest to straight hip hop with g funk influence, but even that has funk in its name.

So basically Jazz and funk get most of the focus but the "musical concept" is actually broader than that

·
Registered
29,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DriftWood said:
The album isn't limited to jazz and funk, it basically spans all black music and soul gets forgotten. Soul and obviously hip hop are included too and they're often combined together. You mentioned "i" but i is more of soul/funk than jazz/funk. Alright has jazz horns on it and Momma has live bass from Thundercat and a jazzy outro, so even though the beats weren't made for Kendrick, the instrumentation added was and that made it fit better with the album. Besides, the beats on those were soul sampled or influenced anyway which does fit with i and Complexion and These Walls, soul is a part of the album too. Hood Politics is the closest to straight hip hop with g funk influence, but even that has funk in its name.

So basically Jazz and funk get most of the focus but the "musical concept" is actually broader than that
Word dope break down. What would u say the musical themes are of each kendrick album? S80, GKMC, TPAB, DAMN. Cus like Kanye everyone says every kendrick album sounds different

1 - 12 of 12 Posts