Votes: 37 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 32.7%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of people on here defending their favorite rappers or whoever saying that they have "good beat selection" as if it is a talent and/or that not everybody can do it.

What do you think? Discuss.

·
Registered
28,258 Posts
I wouldn't say a talent but a good quality. Look at the difference Nas' discography could have if he knew how to pick great production.

·
Registered
68,646 Posts
It is a skill. Imagine if Hov and Nas switched production. It would completely change hip hop.

Its basically depending on how important the listener values production, and I fell that it is a talent, or perhaps a trait or skill.

·
0 Posts
Bottom Cat Boredom said:
It is a skill. Imagine if Hov and Nas switched production. It would completely change hip hop.

Its basically depending on how important the listener values production, and I fell that it is a talent, or perhaps a trait or skill.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
No that's stupid. Its all subjective.

Since when the fuck was "beat selection" some vital skill. Who are the best beat selectors lmao. Somebody tried to defend ASAP Rocky by saying he has great beat selection :fly:

·
Banned
24,748 Posts
Soulll said:
No that's stupid. Its all subjective.

Since when the fuck was "beat selection" some vital skill. Who are the best beat selectors lmao. Somebody tried to defend ASAP Rocky by saying he has great beat selection :fly:
Some people have a better 'ear' than others.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
Bottom Cat Boredom said:

Nas isn't a sellout. He works with what he feels is right for him. You're not gonna see him rapping over some ghetto techno shit. Its all subjective so you can't say someone has a better "ear". I think trap beats are garbage but some people like them.

I would take production like Section.80 over Kanye :kanyeshrug:

·
Banned
24,748 Posts
Soulll said:
Nas isn't a sellout. He works with what he feels is right for him. You're not gonna see him rapping over some ghetto techno shit. Its all subjective so you can't say someone has a better "ear". I think trap beats are garbage but some people like them.

Some beats are complete shit. I'm sure there are people who love the beat for 'Gotta Eat' and hate the beat for 'It's All About The Benjamin's", but they are in the minority. I think having an 'ear' is a talent you can't teach.

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
people use it to defend listening to artists because it is part of the music. no it doesn't make them a better rapper but it makes the music overall more enjoyable.

·
Banned
24,748 Posts
It's a matter of whether or not the artist chooses beats that fit their aesthetic. It's not a debate over TDE production or Kanye production. In the minds of most,both are very successful with their artist(s). But, for example, some shit like Kweli rapping over a Neptunes beat ("Broken Glass") makes little sense.It just doesn't fit, even though that beat is good.

But of course you also have people like Nas and Lupe, who really just pick bad beats. They might fit their aesthetic, but the quality is garbage.

·
Registered
215,680 Posts
Soulll said:

A$AP doesn't even select his own beats, Yams does.

·
Banned
260,958 Posts
Joe said:
It's a matter of whether or not the artist chooses beats that fit their aesthetic. It's not a debate over TDE production or Kanye production. In the minds of most,both are very successful with their artist(s). But, for example, some shit like Kweli rapping over a Neptunes beat ("Broken Glass") makes little sense.It just doesn't fit, even though that beat is good.

But of course you also have people like Nas and Lupe, who really just pick bad beats. They might fit their aesthetic, but the quality is garbage.
I think this deserves a quote and +rep

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
Joe said:
Some beats are complete shit. I'm sure there are people who love the beat for 'Gotta Eat' and hate the beat for 'It's All About The Benjamin's", but they are in the minority. I think having an 'ear' is a talent you can't teach.
For example I think The Don + Cartoon & Cereal have the best beats I've heard all year. If someone tells me they hate them I might be like  :mindfk:

Anyway not all rappers have access to great production. you have to find what works for you. Anybody can "select" a hot beat. Its not a skill or talent. How do you get good at selecting beats? The wider the appeal or what.. who's the best beat selector of all time? Lol that sounds stupid like when people say "technical skill".

1 - 20 of 42 Posts