Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm not sure Iif this is the right place for this thread since it's a personal problem... Anyways. I hang out with very "mainstream" friends who pretty much listen to the same kind of music: Akon, Flo Rida etc. I get a lot of shit for my taste in music (my favorites include Bon Iver, Kid Cudi and Lykke Li). I know that ones taste in music is up to each individual but I think that most of you can agree that mine is better haha... So in short, how can I defend why I listen to my kind of music and not their crap? Because I really don't know, I just like my music better than theirs. This might have gotten a little weird, but I hope you understand what I mean... Thanks.

·
Banned
32,125 Posts
i have the same problem

all of my friends listen to lil wayne, akon, drake etc, while i listen to indie pop/indie rock/alt rock/kid cudi..my friends have just accepted that i like different shit and dont really talk about it

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I feel you. Having to listen to gucci, wayne, and flo rida when in a car ride w/ friends has me w/ this face through the whole ride :cmon: Especially when I try to show em some good music that's not necessarily mainstream.

But in the end, you really can't change em and you gotta realize it's not really that important anyways. Enjoy your music and let them enjoy theirs if they don't wanna enjoy yours, that's fine, but blast that shit when you're the one driving.  :bear:

·
Registered
Kanye West/MBDTF
75,270 Posts
I listen to all kind of stuff... Not to fit in. But I'm trying to love MUSIC in general. And I love everything I can relate to and chill or make me feel better. But when an artist is crappy... So is this artist crappy. No matter what the genre is. I'd say don't care. By the way... Those are bad artists. Well Flo Rida at least... And well I don't know about Akon tbh. Don't care. But don't keep comparing them everytime you're with them. I hope that helped you. :)

1,003 Posts
no body can judge you for liking more than whats forced down your throat, aka lil wayne, drake, fl rida, lady gaga/ w.e. People really need to branch out. specially hip hop fans....most hip hop artist dont even listen to rap.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
But your music is basically the 'mainstream' of the internet world. Truly, if your friends took the time to explore the internets, you'd probably have similar tastes. Only attempt conversations with people who are as into music as you are.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I've been advantageous to not have this problem. I do have friends/family that only like mainstream music, but when I play something they don't hear on the radio everyday, they actually like it. When I'm around them I just play stuff I know they'd like despite not being familiar with said artist.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, a lot of quick answers! To the people who say that I should stop giving a fuck, I really don't care much about what people think about me. But when people call my music bad or weird I get annoyed because it just shows how ignorant they are. There was someone who said that I should stop judging people by their music and read a book or something, to you I say that what I get annoyed about is when people judge my music wrongly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
a) We need to get rid of these "mainstream"/"indie" labels. These labels only define how these labels do business, not the taste of the music. Some artists are just not in your demographic or pertain to your demographic. Remember, it's the music BUSINESS. It's not entirely catered to you.

b) It doesn't really matter what other people think in the end. Music speaks to different people and says different things. The best advice I can give you is to find open-minded people who are willing to talk to you about your specific tastes. Most of those people though live in the music world, so it's best to find people who DO music to TALK about music.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts