Kanye to The banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey KTT fam,
I have a windows 7 computer, and lately my computer has become really slow: My CPU usage is steady around 10-20, but Physical usage is around 90.  My computer is on for days at a time, generally.  Anyone know enough about computers to help me?

·
Registered
169 Posts
physical memory is at 90% ?? that typically means you have a ton of processes on at a single time, For example if you have like 20 tabs open on your browser along with iTunes and other programs. You can lower your memory usage quickly by closing out of programs, also if you stop unnecessary programs from opening on startup. That should help too. Depending on how much RAM you have you should see an increase in speed. I have 4GB of RAM and when its idle I only use about 35-40% of my memory.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It starts up at about 50, and slowly gets higher.
Something I noticed is that on my account there's only about 40 processes going on, but when I click on the checkbox for "show processes for all users", there's at least 90.  I just deleted the only other account on my computer.  Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
44,823 Posts
crimsonclear said:
It starts up at about 50, and slowly gets higher.Something I noticed is that on my account there's only about 40 processes going on, but when I click on the checkbox for "show processes for all users", there's at least 90.  I just deleted the only other account on my computer.  Thanks for the help!
tbh tho, on my laptop when i click "show all processes" my list doubles, and im the only account. so deleting the other profile might not help.

sounds like u might want to upgrade your ram, and/or u got some memory leaks.

·
Banned
44,823 Posts
crimsonclear said:
Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna upgrade my memory from 4GB to 8.
before spending money on ram, do what Chaval said, and take out some startup programs 1st. (also do some virus scans)

because, like bacon, i have 4gigs and i idle around 35-40% too

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
d stoner said:
before spending money on ram, do what Chaval said, and take out some startup programs 1st. (also do some virus scans)

because, like bacon, i have 4gigs and i idle around 35-40% too
I cut down what I can just now, so I'll see what that does for the next couple days

·
Banned
44,823 Posts
crimsonclear said:
I cut down what I can just now, so I'll see what that does for the next couple days
if u have alot of desktop gadgets that could be slowing u down too, they can possibly take up 5-10% of your ram each.

but the next time it starts eating all your memory, id take a look at what exactly is using it all in your task manager and do a google search on whatever the process' name is. maybe even throw in your pc brands name at the end of it (sony, hp, dell...), it might be some useless brand-specific program killing your pc for nothing.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick update: I bought 4 gigs of RAM and swtitched out one of the two gigs ram sticks with it, huge diff.  The Physical Usage has dropped to about 40 generally (I'm watching a movie and have itunes, multiple tabs on firefox, word, Vuze, utorrent, and last.fm open and it's 60%).  My computer hasn't lagged since.

·
Registered
25,576 Posts
crimsonclear said:
Just a quick update: I bought 4 gigs of RAM and swtitched out one of the two gigs ram sticks with it, huge diff.  The Physical Usage has dropped to about 40 generally (I'm watching a movie and have itunes, multiple tabs on firefox, word, Vuze, utorrent, and last.fm open and it's 60%).  My computer hasn't lagged since.
nice, but did you also try some of the tips we recommended?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chaval said:
nice, but did you also try some of the tips we recommended?
Of course, cut down my startups a lot, defragged, got rid of a lot of manufacturer programs and unneeded processes, again thanks a lot guys. My computer was getting pretty unbearable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts