1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABSOLUTE REACH THREAD

Axyend said:
tl;dr:
Kanye's performance art character is "political clay". He is completely free to be moulded by the influences around him, and he is live tweeting and acting the development of his beliefs as he is educated.

He is educated following the ignorant statements he makes. He's showing how we can try to educate each other from a place of compassion regardless of how stupid or even malignant a statement we've made. Not to demonize.

His deeper point is about reshaping the idea of what it means to be black in America, more precisely, removing the idea that there is a definition of what it means to be black. He feels that black kids need to be taught from a positive message about their future, rather than a "complete" focus on their past. His performance is to show the importance of education, on every level, for the beliefs you have about yourself and about the world.

People have been saying all week that "Kanye's talking about these issues as if they're brand new information". That's the point!
In this whole idea of him doing performance art, one thing missing from any theory has been "well then what's the actual performance?"
We know his inspirations, but we don't know in what way they've inspired him.

I think most important is the idea of what he's trying to do, from Beuys coyote performance:
"The lesson from Beuys's strange performance? That American society could only begin to cure its social ills through direct communication and understanding among its own varied populations."
When it comes to David Hammons, I think there's the obvious interpretation that it's about reappropriating the MAGA hat, but I think it's deeper, more in line with what he's actually been saying, that it's about redefining what it means to be black in America. Kanye mentions Obama and Virgil as setting examples of what is possible. When Virgil got the LV job, Tremaine retweeted his announcement of that with the spade emoji. (which tbf he uses a lot. He's a massive fan of David Hammons, his whole twitter is full of quotes, mentions, etc. of Hammons. He even put him on a tshirt)

I think his intentions are as follows:

Other than his controversial/ignorant statements, all he's been preaching is love and discourse. His website layout reflects this with the music as text messages. His twitter reflects this with every political point from both sides being in the form of text messages. His message is love and openminded, equal-footed discourse. He literally tweets one message, takes a step back and tweets other sides - giving an example of how discourse can be.
He met with Candace Owens, but then put her on the phone with vocal opponent Ebro.
Look how giddy he is in the TI video at getting TI to oppose him in his play. He says something controversial, or tweets a controversial message from the one side (usually republican) as a way to ignite discussion in which he acts as a vessel.

While he's made these seemingly ignorant statements, he's also himself states that he is ignorant. Besides that, he hasn't actually spoken out on any particular political issues or beliefs - as of yet.

The ignorance might be partly true, I'm sure - Kanye has always talked about himself as someone who isn't knowledgeable on politics. Again in the TI video, he talks about how he's learned so much already just these past days.

But I think that as a whole, it's the character/position he's putting himself in.
So what do I think the performance art is? What is the character?

Infinite possibilities
Look at the colour of the block central to this tweet. The performance side of his message is about the moulding of minds, and his performance focuses on how that relates to expectations and beliefs black people and children are taught in America.

He's using himself as an example of clay, in the arena of politics. He's showing how he starts off as a blank slate, politically, and is learning as he goes along. One big signal of this is how he started just following his wife, and over time he's added two people to that, Candace Owens and Emma Gonzalez, it's about showing a supposed development as he is educated by the responses to his ignorant statements.

But important is that he's showing that despite making stupid, ignorant statements initially, it's still worthwhile to try to teach, rather than demonize and write the person off. One thing he's done, that's more subtle, is he's twice deleted things that he found out were him being intentionally mislead, instead of educated: When he deleted Steve's text, and when he deleted the fake Harriet Tubman quote. Obviously you can see that as regular old damage control, but if he cared about that, he would have backtracked on a lot more.

He's saying "I have an open mind. Talk to me as someone you want to educate, not someone you want to tell off. Then he tweets both sides of those messages to him as if they're in discussion with each other - and it shows an example of how political debate can come from a place of love and education rather than from hate and dismissal, but most of all, it shows that he can be educated by people from both sides and come up with his own opinions as he learns more, regardless of what is expected of him as a black man, as a rapper, as whatever label or box is supposed to define him. He is the clay, just like we all are. He's showing how we start with nothing. With ignorance. And what we are told and taught shapes what we believe, about the world but also about ourselves.

And this is his point about slavery, and what he's been talking about a lot this week, but I'm going to put my interpretation of his TMZ slavery words in a comment below, because I realise how contentious and controversial that is, and that's not what the focus of this thread should be about, even if I feel it would line up.

His message has consistently been about what America teaches black Americans, particularly children, about themselves, even if it's unintentional.

In his freestyle he rapped: "strip kids of their confidence, teach white dominance".
At TMZ he told the story about North:
"I don't support white supremacy. White supremacy is a redundant statement. Whites are supreme in America, that's what we're taught. I went home and my wife said to my daughter "tell daddy what you learned at school". "I learned that momma's white and I'm black." I said "Damn, I wish I got the heads up!" They said "No we had to tell her cause of MLK's birthday." But a white teacher told her that. So what does it mean to be black in America if a white teacher tells her that she's black? You might be Kanye West's daughter, but you BLACK. My daughter was free! We start putting these ideas and ideals on people, that's why we are in a simulation. When you're three years old, two years old you go and you hop up on a coffe table. And then your aunty comes up and says "don't jump on that. Why you playing? It's a coffee table. Now you\re three years old, you don't care about coffee or table. This went from something that elevates you while you're playing to something that is an obstruction to your joy. Now by you're thirty, fourty, fifty, how many coffee tables do you have in your life?"
This is also what the TI song was originally going to be about (He asks is engineer to play that "tell daddy what you learned at school" song).

Equally, his comments on the Harriet Tubman 20 dollar bill, where he says he wants Jordan on there to show what is possible now. He wants people to be taught about Magic Johnson's business. Why he stressed the importance of figures like Obama and Virgil holding conventional, "respectable" positions as an example that black people do belong there too. But equally that being "respectable" isn't something you need to adhere to as a black person in America to be successful, which is what he feels his own success represents.

He's not saying don't remember and respect people like MLK and Harriet Tubman, but he's saying that the focus needs to shift towards more positive messaging. In the Charlamagne interview he says as much:
"Certain icons are just too far in the past and not relatable, and that's what makes them safe. Like they'll let you go on the grammys and let you talk about slavery and all that and racism because it's not talking about buying stock, it's not talking about buying property. You can complain as hard as you want on that platform but it's not scary"
when he tries to clarify his poor TMZ wording on twitter
"we are programmed to always talk and fight race issues. We need to update our conversation."
"in school we need to learn how magic Johnson built his business not always about the past. Matter fact I've never even heard of a high school class that presents future ideas"
On Virgil:

"Some people just have to do things to prove they can be done... Obama went into that office as a public servant, in a service position. And it didn't matter the amount of money, the amount of ownership. The world needed to see this was a possibility. For Virgil, the world just needs to see things. You know I was afraid to speak the way I speak now. I was afraid to show you my office in Calabasas. I was afraid to show you this 300 acres I just purchased that I'm building community on, my first five properties on. Because I felt like it would be shut down. But, it's not about me. Even if I got killed tomorrow and they shut everything down. The fact that I put the idea out is the black panther shit. That is, a kid watching this in high school and a kid in college. "
IF, if this theory has any truth. we will see him politically develop/evolve over the next month, culminating in his album somehow. So look out for signs of development of political ideas and stuff. See him commit to new things, from both sides, and likely change his opinions in very outspoken ways.

Edit: New tweet showing a literal screenshot of two-sided "research" seems to hint at this theory being at least partially accurate

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ffs how did this end up so long. Can barely proofread it anymore it's so long. Lemme know if there's any weird double paragraphs or unclear sentences. I sort of wrote this by copy pasting my loose thoughts from other thread over the week.

tl;dr:

Kanye's performance art character is "political clay". He is completely free to be moulded by the influences around him, and he is live tweeting and acting the development of his beliefs as he is educated.

He is educated following the ignorant statements he makes. He's showing how we can try to educate each other from a place of compassion regardless of how stupid or even malignant a statement we've made. Not to demonize.

His deeper point is about reshaping the idea of what it means to be black in America, more precisely, removing the idea that there is a definition of what it means to be black. He feels that black kids need to be taught from a positive message about their future, rather than a "complete" focus on their past. His performance is to show the importance of education, on every level, for the beliefs you have about yourself and about the world.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Axyend said:
ffs how did this end up so long. Can barely proofread it anymore it's so long. Lemme know if there's any weird double paragraphs or unclear sentences. I sort of wrote this by copy pasting my loose thoughts from other thread over the week.

tl;dr:

Kanye's performance art character is "poltiical clay". He is completely free to be moulded by the influences around him, and he is live tweeting and acting the development of his beliefs as he is educated.

Oh wow..i get it..thats pretty pretty brilliant..good looks

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People have being saying all week that "Kanye's talking about these issues as if they're brand new information". That's the point!

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my interpretation of his slavery comments from my comment earlier on reddit (that led to me typing this post)

He says "When you hear about slavery for 400 years, it sounds like a choice." What I think he meant, and obviously I can't speak for Kanye, is that it sounds like a choice, but because of the psychological and mental slavery that went along with the physical and legal slavery it really wasn't one.

But that today, when the physical and legal shackles aren't (officially) on black Americans anymore, those mental aspects need to be fully cleared up too.
Again, I realise that this is my own interpretation.

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To add DenimTears twitter back into this theory (cause what theory is complete without it:

Tremaine actually tweets the spade emoji a lot, because he's a huuuge fan of David Hammons. Literally like 30 tweets of the couple hundred I scrolled through were about Hammons. Quoting him. saying "I just wanna meet Hammons". Just bringing him up. He even put out a whole collection of tshirts that featured Hammons and his work just a couple months ago. He always tweets about him with that spade emoji.

What he also does is tweet the spade emoji in situations like this.

Virgil's announcement at LV. Exactly the example Kanye was discussing as showing kids that a black man does belong in a position like that just as much as any other.

Here's the artwork by Hammons that Kanye actually tweeted:

Tremaine also tweeted this video of the artist Kerry James Marshall, with the spade emoji:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/t-magazine/100000004709608/kerry-james-marshall-theaster-gates.html

"There's 500 years of history that's structured around a representation of beauty that's not us. And that's th eplace where most of what I do as an artist can operate. It's in that space where you have to on some level recover the capacity to imagine yourself as an ideal and then to figure out ways to project that ideal in a way that it's competitive with everything else that's there."

·
Registered
17,321 Posts
Axyend said:

tl;dr:

I agree I also see that Kanye is live streaming in a way his learning process to the public and at the same time showing how messed up it is that we attack someone impulsively instead of understanding perspectives and teaching accordingly, and discussing instead of insulting

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
who has the time to think this much about kanye west conspiracy theories ffs

I have a deadline tomorrow :russ:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Axyend said:
who has the time to think this much about kanye west conspiracy theories ffs
i don't have time and i still think about this shit wayyyy too much also i'm on ktt too much as well
:floyd:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Axyend said:

tl;dr:

Kanye/Axyend 2020

1 - 20 of 56 Posts