Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really stuck on this idea that I'll make it in life by pursuing the stuff I'm interested in. I play tuba, I like to make music, I'm really interested in graphic and fashion design, all kinds of art, and a bunch of other stuff. my only problem is that Im worried my grades will interfere with my interests. I have some hard classes right now that my grades aren't doing to good at all. I plan to go to college for business so I can know how to make
money from my interests, I'm just freaking out that my grades are gonna fuck that up and I'm not gonna be able to make any money from what I love to do. My parents are so stuck on the idea that if my grades aren't good nothing great can happen. So I guess my question is, do grades really play a big part in a field where math and english have litterally no correlation?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You mentioned graphic design so I'll speak on that. Graphic design, or practically any art related field isn't degree dependent. Employers are much more interested in seeing your portfolio showcasing what you can do rather than a sheet a paper proving you can pass classes. College isn't for everyone, and it definitely isn't required for many occupations. Personally, I'm on track to becoming a web developer but have no intention of pursuing college since it would serve no purpose to most employers; I'm just focused on building feasible applications and growing my portfolio.

"I plan to go to college for business" is honestly the lamest thing people say. I remember in high school people would say that without even having a solid direction they wanted to head into and later dropped out or switched to something completely unrelated. I attended two years of school for accounting specifically, did fine in my classes, but the constant reminder of how mundane my future career would be was enough to follow my passion of web development/design. You can make money off the hobbies you listed, it just takes some dedication. It's a given that parents are fixated on the idea that good grades/degree is the only correct path in life because they've been indoctrinated in by generation(s).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mittens said:
You mentioned graphic design so I'll speak on that. Graphic design, or practically any art related field isn't degree dependent. Employers are much more interested in seeing your portfolio showcasing what you can do rather than a sheet a paper proving you can pass classes. College isn't for everyone, and it definitely isn't required for many occupations. Personally, I'm on track to becoming a web developer but have no intention of pursuing college since it would serve no purpose to most employers; I'm just focused on building feasible applications and growing my portfolio.

"I plan to go to college for business" is honestly the lamest thing people say. I remember in high school people would say that without even having a solid direction they wanted to head into and later dropped out or switched to something completely unrelated. I attended two years of school for accounting specifically, did fine in my classes, but the constant reminder of how mundane my future career would be was enough to follow my passion of web development/design. You can make money off the hobbies you listed, it just takes some dedication. It's a given that parents are fixated on the idea that good grades/degree is the only correct path in life because they've been indoctrinated in by generation(s).
the reason I want a business degree is because it's versatile and I'm more worried about the knowledge I'll gather from school, not the degree itself. I'm only 16, so I don't even know where my life is going at all yet, I'm just trying to be prepared.

·
Registered
22,594 Posts
Don't try and grow up too fast. There is no 16 year old that knows where his/her life is headed in the next decade.

Do what you love to do
Meet people/network/socialize
Get out of your comfort zone sometimes
Live life

Sounds cliche and corny af but it's honestly one of the best ways to learn about yourself

It's good to keep your eye on the prize, but learn to appreciate the journey

·
Registered
994 Posts
Grades are important, but not the end all be all of anything, unless you're in uni.

I have shit grades currently, but I got my whole life planned out, gonna take a year off to work on my interests like making my dream video game, art, learning to code, and my music, go to cc and transfer to my state's flagship school with a full ride :obamahhh:

OP don't listen to the people who make you feel like shit over your grades, I have to deal with that daily from my family, but I know I will be successful, and so can you.

·
Registered
83,277 Posts
JacobGoesHAM said:
can you explain why it's useless?
cause you dont actually specialize in something. Its like being okay at everything but not good in any one thing. Plus anyone can do business. Any Finance, Accounting, etc major can do business. But no business major can do accounting or finance cause they dont have the necessary certifications, experience etc in that field. 

·
Registered
83,277 Posts
DreamCancel said:
Grades are important, but not the end all be all of anything, unless you're in uni.

I have shit grades currently, but I got my whole life planned out, gonna take a year off to work on my interests like making my dream video game, art, learning to code, and my music, go to cc and transfer to my state's flagship school with a full ride :obamahhh:

OP don't listen to the people who make you feel like shit over your grades, I have to deal with that daily from my family, but I know I will be successful, and so can you.
how do you know this will all work out lol

·
Banned
19,348 Posts
JayS. said:
Can u explain yourself besides "lol no"?

Most cases u can make good grades by simply taking the time to study and or complete classwork on time. A lot of the people scoring high grades are no smarter than the average student, they just work harder than the average student.

·
Registered
83,277 Posts
Bolo Yeung said:
Can u explain yourself besides "lol no"?

Most cases u can make good grades by simply taking the time to study and or complete classwork on time. A lot of the people scoring high grades are no smarter than the average student, they just work harder than the average student.
just because you dont do well in school doesnt mean you wont succeed in life. Plenty of people who dont do well/enjoy school go on to be successful in life even though they didnt score well on that calculus exam in school. Way too big of a sweeping statement you made

1 - 20 of 61 Posts