Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
http://www.bohemian.com/citysound/?p=1411
The last actual manufactured cassette I saw domestically from a major label was Common's Be, issued with a stock font, a chintzy black-and-white spine and no j-card at all. The last actual manufactured cassette I bought, though, was Green Day's American Idiot, with a full-color fold-out j-card and official Warner Bros. packaging. It came from a seller in Malaysia, where cassettes are still relevant and where major labels actually order legitimate pressings of tapes there. Recently, they've made Metallica's Death Magnetic, Kanye West's The College Dropout, Weezer's Make Believe, Against Me's New Wave, and many, many more titles on cassette in Malaysia, all in short runs of about 200 or so.
The best way to find Malaysian titles on cassette is on eBay; type "Malaysia" into a cassette search and hundreds of titles pop up. There's a long and strange dissection of complex Malaysian copyright laws here that might shed some light on why Malaysia is the dominant producer of new cassettes. And some incredible-looking Malaysian cassette manufacturing equipment is for sale here, which hopefully does not spell the end of cassettes entirely. Here's a sample image of how they do it in Malaysia:

·
Premium Member
90,786 Posts
ehhhh, idk, good question. Hold on, i'mma go ride my Pegasus to the city of Babylon and find out just for you. Brb

1 - 20 of 47 Posts