Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70004 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.

For optimal hypertrophy, frequency should at 2 per body part. Intensity is clearly important just so you do indeed stimulate all of the muscle fibers/motor units. Volume is of least importance, technically, however it's the only real variable you can actually play around with quite a bit.

So, for least overlap and such, a push/pull/legs/repeat/off split is probably ideal.

Again, I'm only going to put in exercises that I may do, or that I may like, but feel free to shift things as you see fit to better fit your idiosyncrasies. For instance, you'll notice an abundance of dumbbell work on push/chest days. I've always had best results out of pure db work so I tend to stick to it now. Also, I usually don't switch my push 1-2 or pull 1-2 days too much between them, maybe just a bit. However, if you'd like to, that's fine. This is to set up a general plan and general parameters to always follow.

Also, I'll start each day (ie push 1 & 2) with pure hyp work, however, if you'd like you can feel free to start 1 of the 2 days with a more compound lift done at 5x5. Only one day of the two, but it's fine if you prefer.

Also, in this post, in an attempt to make it highly accessible to all, I'll make the volume quite moderate. However, tailor that to your own needs as well. I've posted before about my favorite form of progression anyway - which is, increasing volume in a periodized fashion, slowly over the course of months to sustain/force progression without causing robust CNS fatigue.

Let's also keep in mind for optimal hypertrophy, don't simply push the weight up and down blindly. Keep the negatives controlled. Not necessarily overly slow, but I believe a 2 sec negative portion is probably ideal (at least quite controlled). A forceful concentric portion is fine/ideal as well, just ensure you actually squeeze the weight. Mind-muscle connection is actually quite integral to true progression, as to ensure optimal contraction. On top that, keep in mind to keep rests around 60-90 secs unless I specify lower or higher. Also, try not to go overboard on the sets to failure. Especially toward the beginning don't force a bunch of failure sets as fatigue will quickly set in, making the rest of the workout quite hard to complete. However, as you get toward the highly isolation lifts, it's okay to hit failure each and every set w/out risking CNS fatigue.

Purpose of the higher time-under-tension (based on 2 sec negatives and high rep sets) and low rest times is to augment metabolic stress, resulting in maximal muscular micro-tears necessitating celeritous repair. Reaching lactic acid threshold (plus other metabolites) as well will cause an increase in extracellular (surrounding the muscle) acidity (lower pH) causing further fiber degredation, membrane rupturing, and general membrane perturbations to fully maximize ALL possible anabolic pathways ie; mTOR-p70s6k pathways, MAPK pathways and Ca2+ - calcineurin pathways. Not only that, this type of training orienting itself in general will cause further hypertrophy of different non-contractile proteins and cytoskeletal rearrangement (ie sarcoplasmic gain), as well as increased cell swelling/water & glycogen retention.

Push 1:
Flat db bench - 5x10
Incline db bench - 4x10-12
Cable Crossovers  - 4x12-15
Seated Db press - 4x10-12
Lateral raises (db or cable) - 4x12-15
Rope cable pulldowns - 4x10-15
Dips - 4x10-15

Pull 1:
Pullups - 5x10
Bent bb rows (pulling to waist) - 4x10-12
Underhand lat pulldowns - 4x12-15
Bb curls - 4x10-15
Cable concentration curls - 4x12-15
Bb or db shrugs - 5x15-20 squeezing at the top

Legs 1: (I'd like to make legs more quads then hams dominant each respective day)
Squats - 4x10
hack squats or leg press - 4x10-12
Static bb lunges - 4x10-15 per leg
Leg extensions - 3x15
Hip abduction - 3x15
Standing calf raises - 3x20
Seated calf raises - 3x20

Push 2:
incline db bench - 5x10
flat db bench - 4x10-15
incline db flys - 4x12-15
seated db press - 4x10-12
Lateral raises (change from first day ie db to cable, etc or even 1 arm at a time vs both) - 4x12-15
Rope cable pulldowns - 4x10-15
Dips - 4x10-15

Pull 2:
Bent bb rows - 5x10
Pullups - 4x10-12
Chest supported t-bar rows - 4x12-15
Bb curls - 4x10-15
Db hammer curls or rope cable hammer curls - 4x12-15
Behind the ass bb shrugs - 5x15-20 squeezing

Legs 2:
Squats - 4x10
Romanian deads - 4x10-12
Lying hamstring curls - 4x12-15
Lunges - 4x12-15 per leg
Hip adduction - 4x12-15
Standing & seated calf raises - 3x20 for both

I've said most all that's needed to say. This obviously isn't for a complete beginner, but it's a good routine for someone with a bit of experience looking for a solid purely mass oriented routine.

So, I'd like to see this replace the current OP for this thread. Much better. 

·
Registered
15,589 Posts
are there any methods to increse height in a person....??

:ohno:

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
The.Miniblock said:
are there any methods to increse height in a person....??

:ohno:
well, this really doesn't have anything to do with bodybuilding, so i'm not an expert on this subject.  i have heard of people taking hormones to grow, but usually it's only teenagers that are real short and have a legit medical problem.

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
neil-360 said:
5'11 156 pounds
what should kinds of foods should i focus on while lifting to get to 170..
taking protein aswell
first off, the most important thing to do is get at least 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.  so, you should aim for at least 156g of protein per day.  since you're trying to gain, try to get around 200g.  as for foods, try to eat as clean as possible if you don't want to put on too much fat.  some good choices are grilled chicken, chicken breast, whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter, almonds, salads, fish, lean meats, oats, egg whites, rice.  also, since you lift, macros are very important.

the basic things that you should keep track of are your total calories and basic macronutrients (protein, carbs, fats).  based upon your bodyweight, i would say you should aim for about 3000 calories per day.  this number isn't totally accurate because i would need to know your body fat percentage and activity level, but it's a very good estimate.  assuming that you are average/lean, you should aim for .5-1g of fats per lb of bodyweight, so that would be anywhere from 78-156grams/day.  finally, aim for about 2-3g of carbs per lb of bodyweight.

if you have any other questions about diet, lifting, supplements, etc, let me know.

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
RelaxRelapse said:
What's more important in losing weight..

Dieting or exercise?
dieting is always the most important whether you're trying to lose or gain.  exercising will help you lose faster though and it's good if you're trying to get "in shape".

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
How should I train abs? I used to train them every second day and do 2 or 3 exercises. Now I do it once or twice a week doing 3 or 4 exercises and heavier weights

·
Premium Member
52,578 Posts
PradaG said:
well, this really doesn't have anything to do with bodybuilding, so i'm not an expert on this subject.  i have heard of people taking hormones to grow, but usually it's only teenagers that are real short and have a legit medical problem.
i had too.....for about 6 years....my parents took to a doctor and they told me i had a growth hormone deficiency...so i had to take a shot every fucking day from age 11 to 17.....

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
LehZeR said:
How should I train abs? I used to train them every second day and do 2 or 3 exercises. Now I do it once or twice a week doing 3 or 4 exercises and heavier weights
once or twice a week is good, especially if you do compound exercises such as squats and deadifts because they also hit your core.  i prefer to do abs twice a week, weighted exercises, for about 10-12 minutes.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
PradaG said:
No offense, but whenever I see someone on here asking advice when it comes to lifting/putting on size, most of the answers that I see are completely off base and will not help at all.  So, if anyone has any questions about lifting/dieting, feel free to ask.
I got this program based off 5x5, where I work out my upper back twice a week.

I do

5x5 weighted pull-ups
3x8 row with bar
3x8 pulldown

Now my question: Would it be to much to also add 3x8 shrugs into that? I feel like these exercises doen't hit my upper traps as much as I would like to.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Jaydolf Spitler said:

I do

5x5 weighted pull-ups
3x8 row with bar
3x8 pulldown

Now my question: Would it be to much to also add 3x8 shrugs into that? I feel like these exercises doen't hit my upper traps as much as I would like to.
What are your goals (strength or size)?
What do you want to emphasise (thickness or width, or a mix)?

i would also do shrugs on shoulders day imo, due to the grip fatigue factor, i'd say:

bb rows 4 x 6-12
pullups 3 x weighted or bw
horizontal pulley row 3 x 6/8-10
straight bar or hammer straight bar lat pull down 4 x 8-12

i'd also look into deadlifting - insert compound exercise benefits etc. also great they hit traps fairly well

don't wana hijack thread

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
sunny said:
What are your goals (strength or size)?
What do you want to emphasise (thickness or width, or a mix)?
i would also do shrugs on shoulders day imo, due to the grip fatigue factor

i'd say
bb rows 4 x 6-12
pullups 3 x weighted or bw
horizontal pulley row 3 x 8
straight bar or hammer straight bar lat pull down 3 x 6-10

i'd also look into deadlifting - insert compound exercise benefits etc. also great they hit traps fairly well

don't wana hijack thread
Deadlifts are mainly lower back though. My goal is strength and not size and I just feel like I don't hit the traps enough without doing shrugs. Shrugs are working out your traps so I reckon they are better to do on "upper-back" day

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Jaydolf Spitler said:

I do

5x5 weighted pull-ups
3x8 row with bar
3x8 pulldown

I would not recommend your current plan, but if you like it and don't want to change it, I would definitely add in shrugs to one of your workout days because it is critical to building your traps. 

My personal preference is to work back once a week, but with more exercises than you are currently doing.  A typical workout would look like:

Deadlifts: 6 sets; 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
Barbell rows: 4 sets; 12, 10, 8, 8
Lat pulldown: 4 sets; 10, 10, 8, 8
Wide-grip pullups: 2 sets to failure
One-arm db rows:  4 sets; 10, 8, 8, 6
Seated rows: 4 sets; 10, 10, 8, 8

I prefer to do shrugs on a shoulder day.  Also, although deadlifts do not specificaly target your upper back, I still feel that it is a very important thing to do because it works your entire core and will benefit your overall strength.

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
Based_Vol said:
Give me a workout program.
What's your goal?  What kind of shape are you in?  What's your stats?  How's your diet?  Answer these and I'll help you out with a plan that will fit you.

·
Registered
19,879 Posts
RICE said:
Do you recommend using creatine monohydrate? Protein shakes?
If you have the money, I would suggest using creatine.  I personally do not buy just straight up creatine, I use a preworkout that includes a daily serving of creatine.  I definitely suggest using protein shakes because without them it will be really hard to reach your daily protein requirement.

1 - 20 of 70004 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.