Kanye to The banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current router is a generic Linksys G router located in the basement... My PS3 is located on the floor above... However, my house is made of concrete so it is essentially a deadzone for many wireless electronics... Also, my laptop, phone, etc. work fine on the current router, regardless of what floor i'm on, but for some reason, ever since I got a PS3 (got it when the OG one released) the connectivity has been hit-or-miss...

What router would you suggest for optimal connectivity and gameplay?? do N-routers work efficiently?? What else is compatable?? Is it fairly simple to replace one router with another??

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
Just run a cable from the router to wherever your PS3 is. Wireless signals are always going to give you trouble gaming, unless you put the router and console in the same room. If you're not going to drop the wireless, either get the Router hooked up closer to where the PS3 is or put the PS3 down where the router is. A stronger wireless signal can only help so much when it's dealing with concrete.

The rest of your devices are "fine" because they're using periodic spurts of internet. Your PS3's going to be sending and receiving constant data, so if even the slightest hiccup happens it's going to be noticeable with online games.

·
Registered
94,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doom said:
Just run a cable from the router to wherever your PS3 is. Wireless signals are always going to give you trouble gaming, unless you put the router and console in the same room. If you're not going to drop the wireless, either get the Router hooked up closer to where the PS3 is or put the PS3 down where the router is. A stronger wireless signal can only help so much when it's dealing with concrete.

The rest of your devices are "fine" because they're using periodic spurts of internet. Your PS3's going to be sending and receiving constant data, so if even the slightest hiccup happens it's going to be noticeable with online games.
Thanks for the response. Only problem is I am not sure how I could wire it from where it is on the floor above to where all the internet-based items are located in the basement... :ohno:

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
TheRocket64 said:
Thanks for the response. Only problem is I am not sure how I could wire it from where it is on the floor above to where all the internet-based items are located in the basement... :ohno:
If you have a tape measure or you're just good at guessing you can map out how big of a cable you'd need to wire your PS3 down to the Router with. I've seen cables as long as 200 feet online, you can usually find 100 footers in places like Best Buy/Staples/Walmart. Buy online unless you're gunna go out and get a cable today. You'd be spending like $75+ for a 100 foot cable from a store.

·
Registered
94,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doom said:
If you have a tape measure or you're just good at guessing you can map out how big of a cable you'd need to wire your PS3 down to the Router with. I've seen cables as long as 200 feet online, you can usually find 100 footers in places like Best Buy/Staples/Walmart. Buy online unless you're gunna go out and get a cable today. You'd be spending like $75+ for a 100 foot cable from a store.
This sounds like my best option. I appreciate it. Do you happen to know if certain wires differ in quality?? Like is there a specific type or brand for this scenario??

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
TheRocket64 said:
This sounds like my best option. I appreciate it. Do you happen to know if certain wires differ in quality?? Like is there a specific type or brand for this scenario??
There's CAT5 and CAT6. CAT6 is a little bit faster but unless you're on some 100mb/s type business internet you can't really notice a difference. CAT5's perfectly fine, and the brand name doesn't matter. It's all made of the exact same material on the inside so the only differences would be maybe a reinforced outside shell, which would just protect it a little more from somehow getting snapped in half (You'd pretty much need scissors to be able to do that anyway, so it's not a big deal).

If you're gunna be running it up some stairs I'd get a few Wall Clips too, just to make sure nobody trips over them going up/down the stairs. plus it'll make it look a little neater too. I'd get 5-7 of them at least. I'm not really sure who sells them in stores anymore, but Radioshack or a local electronics outlet type store would be your best bets. If not you can always find them online. They're pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
94,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doom said:
There's CAT5 and CAT6. CAT6 is a little bit faster but unless you're on some 100mb/s type business internet you can't really notice a difference. CAT5's perfectly fine, and the brand name doesn't matter. It's all made of the exact same material on the inside so the only differences would be maybe a reinforced outside shell, which would just protect it a little more from somehow getting snapped in half (You'd pretty much need scissors to be able to do that anyway, so it's not a big deal).

If you're gunna be running it up some stairs I'd get a few Wall Clips too, just to make sure nobody trips over them going up/down the stairs. plus it'll make it look a little neater too. I'd get 5-7 of them at least. I'm not really sure who sells them in stores anymore, but Radioshack or a local electronics outlet type store would be your best bets. If not you can always find them online. They're pretty cheap too.
Thank you so much for this info :allears:

·
Registered
29,631 Posts
Just get a cheap Linksys WRT54G tbh... they're been the best entry level router for years, and are more than reliable enough for most people's needs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts