·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blaming society, man it wasn’t made fair
I would be Ivy League if America played fair
Poor excuse, and so I was
Throwin’ rocks at the pen just for the love

The whole verse is so dope.. on so many levels. But this lines stick out, just look how incredibly simple it is, and yet it has so much meaning behind it!

Not only does the line stand for it self "Poor excuse, and so I was", it sums up the entire verse - how in basic, his whole road to get the riches has been through corruption, destroying other peoples life and failing to achieve his goal of getting out of poverty. It links the two previous lines with the first two words "Blaming society, man it wasn't made fair // I would be Ivy League if America played fair - poor excuse" - how he tries to blame the society and the corporate America for not giving him a fair change in life, but is realising that it's still his decisions that have got him to his failure, and then the last 4 words leads us to the next line; "and so I was, throwin' rocks at the pen just for the love" - beyond the basic meaning of literary throwing rocks at the prison walls, it has a second meaning of still choosing to continue to deal cocaine just for the sake of money.

Tell me anything that smart, anything that deep or anything that fucking dope!!
Just look at this

"Poor excuse, and so I was"

How strong is that? especially coming from a verse like it does, that whole 31 bars is just.. crazy!
To anyone asking why Nas is regarded as the GOAT by so many, this is why.

·
Registered
16,761 Posts
some ungodly shit just happened

didn't even know the thread was about Nas and was actually bumping that song

clicked on it and just at the same time I read the line, Nas said it

this means that Life is Good will be the best album ever

·
Registered
23,484 Posts
U Trippy Mane said:
should be analyzing something for literature instead of wasting your time on this crap so you get ahead in your life
because analyzing literature gets you ahead in life

1 - 20 of 49 Posts