Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to see who everyones favorite directors are. Actors are the face of the movies but the directors are the ones doing the real work. From the beginning and often times writing the script to filming then eventually editing it. My favorites are as follows, I like them because they give off a sense of nostalgia in a lot of there films. And don't generally use major violence or massive scenes to make the story granger. They are just honest stories of real people I feel like.

Wes Anderson
Woody Allen
Sofia Coppola 

Honorable Mentions:
Quentin Tarantino
Spike Jonze

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lostintheworld said:
uhhh the writers?
Uhhh nearly all Woody Allen, Wes Anderson, and Sofia Coppola movies are written mostly by the directors. As well as Tarantino and Spike Jonze. That's why I grouped them together, movies aren't like television. The movies by these directors are their projects. Thats why I like them so much. They care for it from it's inception to its finishing.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Msouten said:
This coulda been an interesting thread. But ignorant statements like this are fuckin it man...

I'm not saying the actors aren't important, actors are the whole face of the movies but in reality they follow the lines and do their best to portray it exactly how the directors want them too. That's taking nothing away from the acting itself. Cause the acting is such the main focus of the movie but can't we just have one thread that praises the directors for their work. Without someone like you ignorantly shitting on the directors. The acting is such a main point but think about everything the directors do. Just think about it, especially in this case, they are writing the scripts that the actors are speaking, putting the words in their mouth. They are positioning the actors and directing the camera exactly where it is supposed to capture. Then they are editing it into exactly what it becomes. This means the director/writers are working on this project almost 3 times as long as the actor. Including the promotional tours.

They start working months before the filming begins, work the whole time through filming, then work for months after the filming ends on editing the projects. All while working on the promotional stuff that goes along with it. Have you seen the original poster for Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom? It's a piece of art for fuck sakes.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Derek said:
I'm not saying the actors aren't important, actors are the whole face of the movies but in reality they follow the lines and do their best to portray it exactly how the directors want them too. That's taking nothing away from the acting itself. Cause the acting is such the main focus of the movie but can't we just have one thread that praises the directors for their work. Without someone like you ignorantly shitting on the directors. The acting is such a main point but think about everything the directors do. Just think about it, especially in this case, they are writing the scripts that the actors are speaking, putting the words in their mouth. They are positioning the actors and directing the camera exactly where it is supposed to capture. Then they are editing it into exactly what it becomes. This means the director/writers are working on this project almost 3 times as long as the actor. Including the promotional tours.

They start working months before the filming begins, work the whole time through filming, then work for months after the filming ends on editing the projects. All while working on the promotional stuff that goes along with it. Have you seen the original poster for Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom? It's a piece of art for fuck sakes.
I don't think you're recognizing the craft and art of acting correctly.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Msouten said:
I don't think you're recognizing the craft and art of acting correctly.
Oh I am. But there is a time and place to acknowledge the craft and art of each. And this is a thread to appreciate what the directors do, not what the actors do. Now if this thread was titled "Best Actors in the Game" it would be different, but this is a thread talking about our favorite directors. I meant to take nothing away from the actors but they can get their praise in a different thread like always. Me starting a thread about the directors does nothing to take away from any actor, it was only meant to appreciate the writing and directing. So quit jumping on me for one comment when in reality your comments have nothing to do with this thread. 

G

·
Directors should be the most important part of the movie, but with a lot of todays directors that ain't true cause they're boring as hell. Real amazing directors are people like David Lynch who have vision like none other, and make you experience that vision in a profoundly effective way. Kinda like how the best rap artists are the ones who have a vision for their albums (Kanye, Drake).

·
Banned
24,748 Posts
Most directors don't deserve the 'auteur' label thrust upon them. I'd say Scorcese, Fincher, and David Lynch are the only current American directors who can make a claim for that contentious label.

Woody Allen? Hard to say. Certainly has his own writing style, but I don't really think of him as a 'director' first.
PTA? Wonderful. Probably my favorite. But he doesn't have a singular vision (probably to his credit: he can direct any kind of story) so he can't really be an auteur in my mind.
Sofia Coppola and Wes Anderson? Ehhhhhh, maybe Wes Anderson.
Christopher Nolan? GTFO.
Tarantino? Wonderful at blending influences and re-imagining genres. Hard for me to call him an auteur on the level of Lynch, though.

Right or wrong, just what I was feelin' at the time.

·
Banned
17,200 Posts
i been fuckin with the kid Nolan heavy..

martin makes dope movies to doe..

1 - 20 of 219 Posts