Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fuck with the album no doubt, but that doesn't mean I wasn't expecting more. After hearing Black Skinhead and New Slaves on SNL and various tracks being performed live, I was expecting/hoping for a Hip-Hop hybrid version of The Downward Spiral, Rage Against The Machine and Drukqs, something truly industrial, glitchy and HEAVY. And ANGRY. More screaming, more fury and passion in his delivery and ESPECIALLY his subject matter. And yet bumping at the same time with obvious Hip-Hop roots. And I just didn't get it.

It just felt too empty and forced. Myke was right. Usually Ye knows what he's doing, but this time he tried to go in a direction that I don't think he knew enough about. He tried to fuck with a certain lane, and he didn't do it very well. And yet, I keep listening to it, and I still enjoy it. But I still wonder about what it could have been if it was done right.

Now I'm a Kanye Stan, a HUGE Kanye Stan. I waited for 3 hours in the snow after one of his London shows in the hopes of meeting him. He got driven out of Hammersmith and his Merc slowed down as he past me, literally there was only a door and a tinted window separating us. But even I have to say that to say that some of the Stans on here take shit too far and give Yeezus more credit than it's due.

It's a great album yes, but people are bloating it too much. Yeezus had the potential to be something much greater than what it is. It's very experimental, but I've heard experimental done a lot better. Maybe in a few years when we look back we might see it as an important moment in Hip-Hop, but for right now, it's ultimately a disappointment that's so addictive it's literally sonic crack cocaine.

·
Premium Member
47,257 Posts
YEEZUS isn't Kanye's best work, but it is his most adventurous. However, his lack of experience in the direction he wanted doesn't excuse the mistakes or missed opportunities of the album.

If he went for an album full of tracks like New Slaves, Black Skinhead and Bound 2, then it's another 10. But he either veered too far one way, or didn't venture out enough and that's where he went wrong.

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
i was expecting something different and i was disappointed a bit at first.

but its fine the way it is. i wouldnt want him to do it any differently.

its concise and the replayability is solid and im just starting to dig into the meanings of the songs.
ill be chewing on it for a while i think

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
smellis said:
I fuck with the album no doubt, but that doesn't mean I wasn't expecting more. After hearing Black Skinhead and New Slaves on SNL and various tracks being performed live, I was expecting/hoping for a Hip-Hop hybrid version of The Downward Spiral, Rage Against The Machine and Drukqs, something truly industrial, glitchy and HEAVY. And ANGRY. More screaming, more fury and passion in his delivery and ESPECIALLY his subject matter. And yet bumping at the same time with obvious Hip-Hop roots. And I just didn't get it.

It just felt too empty and forced. Myke was right. Usually Ye knows what he's doing, but this time he tried to go in a direction that I don't think he knew enough about. He tried to fuck with a certain lane, and he didn't do it very well. And yet, I keep listening to it, and I still enjoy it. But I still wonder about what it could have been if it was done right.

Now I'm a Kanye Stan, a HUGE Kanye Stan. I waited for 3 hours in the snow after one of his London shows in the hopes of meeting him. He got driven out of Hammersmith and his Merc slowed down as he past me, literally there was only a door and a tinted window separating us. But even I have to say that to say that some of the Stans on here take shit too far and give Yeezus more credit than it's due.

It's a great album yes, but people are bloating it too much. Yeezus had the potential to be something much greater than what it is. It's very experimental, but I've heard experimental done a lot better. Maybe in a few years when we look back we might see it as an important moment in Hip-Hop, but for right now, it's ultimately a disappointment that's so addictive it's literally sonic crack cocaine.
only problem with what youre saying is that if you came into this album with expectations, the album was kindve ruined for you. I think for a lot of us who do like that album, we didn't have any solid expectations that would disappoint us in the end if they weren't met.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
debonair59 said:
only problem with what youre saying is that if you came into this album with expectations, the album was kindve ruined for you. I think for a lot of us who do like that album, we didn't have any solid expectations that would disappoint us in the end if they weren't met.
Yeah I did come into this album with expectiations tbh. I had an idea of what it could have sounded like, what Kanye was capable of making and the amount of anger and fury he would put into it. And it was borderline satisfactory for me. Maybe I heard the SNL performances and my imagination ran away with me in the hopes of a Hip-Hop album so extreme it would change the genre forever. And that's probably my bad for walking into it with the wrong attitude. But hey I still enjoy it nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts