Kanye to The banner

Are the Black Eyed Peas the biggest sellouts ever?

• Yes, what happened?

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No, but they're up there

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No, they make hott jamz!!!1!

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
23,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Behind the Front and Bridging the Gap, their first two albums, pre-Fergie, before they blew up, were quality albums lyrically and sonically. In fact, the main point of these albums were to talk about the poor state of hip-hop (which began focusing on the superficial) and to mock sellouts.

Starting with Elephunk, the Black Eyed Peas adopted a more mainstream sound, but they still made quality music. In fact, the addition of Fergie on the first album made sense and made Elephunk a fun album to listen to. Lyrically, it wasn't up to par with their earlier stuff, but it was still a good album. With Monkey Business, they made a decent album, continuing with their more mainstream, yet still unique sound. And their message was still largely the same: positivity instead of superficial crap.

Then, Fergie ended up turning BEP into Fergie & Friends and they completely sold out. The lyrics to their songs are incredibly simple and superficial, their production, previously top-notch, turned into complete crap, and they are now shells of their former selves. It makes me upset thinking about it. In fact, in 2005, on the song "They Don't Want Music", with James Brown, part of the hook goes, "they don't want music, they just want boom boom boom boom boom". A few years later, they make a song called "Boom Boom Pow" and all of their songs now follow that formula.

How did they go from making great music and collaborating with artists like James Brown, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, John Legend, DJ Premier, etc., to making awful stuff like this? :cryfam:

·
Banned
85,044 Posts
boxman15 said:
Behind the Front and Bridging the Gap, their first two albums, pre-Fergie, before they blew up, were quality albums lyrically and sonically. In fact, the main point of these albums were to talk about the poor state of hip-hop (which began focusing on the superficial) and to mock sellouts.

Starting with Elephunk, the Black Eyed Peas adopted a more mainstream sound, but they still made quality music. In fact, the addition of Fergie on the first album made sense and made Elephunk a fun album to listen to. Lyrically, it wasn't up to par with their earlier stuff, but it was still a good album. With Monkey Business, they made a decent album, continuing with their more mainstream, yet still unique sound. And their message was still largely the same: positivity instead of superficial crap.

Then, Fergie ended up turning BEP into Fergie & Friends and they completely sold out. The lyrics to their songs are incredibly simple and superficial, their production, previously top-notch, turned into complete crap, and they are now shells of their former selves. It makes me upset thinking about it. In fact, in 2005, on the song "They Don't Want Music", with James Brown, part of the hook goes, "they don't want music, they just want boom boom boom boom boom". A few years later, they make a song called "Boom Boom Pow" and all of their songs now follow that formula.

How did they go from making great music and collaborating with artists like James Brown, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, John Legend, DJ Premier, etc., to making awful stuff like this? :cryfam:
My Humps though :bye:

·
Banned
23,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WakeUpMr.West said:
My Humps though :bye:
Awful song, but there are a lot of songs on that album that are quality like "They Don't Want Music", "Like That", "Gone Going", etc.

50/50 overall, but it's miles ahead of their new stuff. My Humps sounds like Mozart compared to their new music.

·
Banned
17,200 Posts
yeah they are

where is the love>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> i dont even know what garbage they come out these days

·
Registered
22,240 Posts
It's always gonna be downhill when you add a half-talented tranny like Fergie to your group.

·
Registered
25,743 Posts
The second Fergie joined, they ceased to be a rap group. So technically they never sold out as rappers. :dno: They just decided to change career paths and make garbage instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts