Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
106,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching this video here.

Basically, one of the New Boyz are in this video and bring up the point that the only reason that Hip Hop heads have beef with the newer generation is because of the fact that they're older. And I agree with this. When you look at it, most of the same subject matter that's in the mainstream today was in the mainstream in the 80s-90s. (partying, being a gangsta, getting girls, etc).

Wouldn't you say that's a bit contradictory? :dno:.

·
Banned
30,437 Posts
Not really. One debate is just about the quality. Both songs could have the same subject matter, but one is just richer and has more technical depth than the other. I would think most people aren't criticizing the subject matter in itself (subject matters have been the same for a while); they are criticizing the execution. It's easy to see why someone would think a drug album like OB4CL is better than some 2011 coke album(pick one).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yes. A lot of them do criticize subject matter, too.

I think you're always going to be predisposed to like things from you're childhood/past (even if they were shitty) because everything about the past always seems better than the present (for most people, at least)

G

·
Joe said:
Not really. One debate is just about the quality. Both songs could have the same subject matter, but one is just richer and has more technical depth than the other. I would think most people aren't criticizing the subject matter in itself (subject matters have been the same for a while); they are criticizing the execution. It's easy to see why someone would think a drug album like OB4CL is better than some 2011 coke album(pick one).
:golfclap:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
yungducketz said:
They have every reason to. There's been straight up ignorant shit for 20+ years, but kicking real knowledge used to carry weight. Now it's all about celebrating ignorance.
Oh please. Don't be one of those idiots who try to act like there aren't any more conscious rappers left. I can't stand that bs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts