Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda just wanna work to buy cameras mics and shit to make art but do feel a smidgeon of damn what if I look up and I’m still just in my hometown not really doing shit in ___ amount of time and I’m still working shit jobs

Shit hard to see ppl u grew up with blow up (both on mainstream/internet hype level) and u still in school w a major that ain’t really no STEM shit, it just ensures $5-6 more hourly pay for BS desk jobs that I’m not even tryna have more than 2 years

Who has dropped out and regretted doing so, although I guess we all under 30 so no one is gonna be the 38 year old warehouse worker who wish he got his degree

I would be walking away with not really any loans tho which is what makes me not wanna drop out but that’s literally the only thing...the fact that later I’d have to kinda fuck myself up financially to continue

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
proper said:
all my friends doing better than me right now shit feels great fam :cryfam:
Did you assume you could make more/similar money than someone with a degree?

It’s ok though fam. Worst comes to worst, go back to school or keep grinding

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
proper said:
yes smh :cryfam:

priorities was all fucked up in college smh
What do you do now and briefly describe your path and why u dropped out

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
proper said:
all my friends doing better than me right now shit feels great fam :cryfam:
Also define better than you

Most people drop out bc they don’t want the typical jobs ur friends prolly have so why u even feel y’all in the same lane

Ik my main motivation for dropping out is just to full fledge as possible pursue art while I’m on the approaching side of 25

·
Premium Member
27,749 Posts
I'm debating the same thing rn OP, my school are all assholes and are making it very difficult and expensive for me to graduate and I only have like 8 or 9 classes left

I'm a little different because I want to start my own consultancy so I never need to have a traditional job again (I hate people and having a boss) and can charge whatever I feel is appropriate for my work. But of course there's still a major part of me saying "what if you regret doing this within only a year?"

It's scary and I don't think either of us will ever know the "correct" decision until we finally make one and stick with it. But I'd say that if you are the type of person who can make it in life without the degree, if you have any semblance of a plan that you truly feel could work for yourself; you'd probably feel it in some capacity. I've been learning the last few months that certain shit you should just know or feel in yourself, and this is one of those to me.

Are you going to be pursuing employment under somebody else (traditional job) like the billions of other people in the world? If so, do you at least have any specialties or advantages over your competition that will help you stand out with or without the degree?  If not, you should understand the disadvantage you'll have to employers, whether fair or not

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
take a gap year

move out.

Sublease an apartment in LA/NYC

try to make it with the savings you have

if you fail just go back to your family :) seems like a good adventure

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If you can make a decision with no doubt in your mind
And able to take the repercussions and setbacks it may come with
Do so
Live your life with no regrets
Your the biggest enemy to yourself

·
Registered
38,705 Posts
spacecadet said:
take a gap year

move out.

Sublease an apartment in LA/NYC

try to make it with the savings you have

if you fail just go back to your family :) seems like a good adventure
aint no failing fam :hhh: theres obstacles that can be overcome but if you quit then youll never make it to the end :khaled2: you have to go through the depths of hell to get to the top but you just gotta be willing to go down there first

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KingOlajuwon said:
If you can make a decision with no doubt in your mind
And able to take the repercussions and setbacks it may come with
Do so
Live your life with no regrets
Your the biggest enemy to yourself
Damn

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jason said:
I'm debating the same thing rn OP, my school are all assholes and are making it very difficult and expensive for me to graduate and I only have like 8 or 9 classes left

I'm a little different because I want to start my own consultancy so I never need to have a traditional job again (I hate people and having a boss) and can charge whatever I feel is appropriate for my work. But of course there's still a major part of me saying "what if you regret doing this within only a year?"

It's scary and I don't think either of us will ever know the "correct" decision until we finally make one and stick with it. But I'd say that if you are the type of person who can make it in life without the degree, if you have any semblance of a plan that you truly feel could work for yourself; you'd probably feel it in some capacity. I've been learning the last few months that certain shit you should just know or feel in yourself, and this is one of those to me.

Are you going to be pursuing employment under somebody else (traditional job) like the billions of other people in the world? If so, do you at least have any specialties or advantages over your competition that will help you stand out with or without the degree?  If not, you should understand the disadvantage you'll have to employers, whether fair or not
I wanna basically work to buy equipment to start content creation. Music, short film/skits, music videos, etc., urbanwear but long term like you I’m not tryna have a boss I haven’t kept jobs this far for more than 6 months

I sell beats and up until this point maybe catch a sale  every other week or two but would be going hard to build my brand locally and increase that cash flow to make clothes, money from which I would use to cop cameras and mics to do videos and songs w/ people and with the money from that so on and so forth

and ideally I look up in 18 months or so and all hands are washing the other to where I can at least just move to a city like ATL NY LA where I can now exponentially increase my opportunities.

As opposed to spending the next 15-18 months in school to come home to the same job prospects that I’m trying to escape just at 4-6 more $ per hour.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
user said:
I wanna basically work to buy equipment to start content creation. Music, short film/skits, music videos, etc., urbanwear but long term like you I’m not tryna have a boss I haven’t kept jobs this far for more than 6 months

I sell beats and up until this point maybe catch a sale  every other week or two but would be going hard to build my brand locally and increase that cash flow to make clothes, money from which I would use to cop cameras and mics to do videos and songs w/ people and with the money from that so on and so forth

and ideally I look up in 18 months or so and all hands are washing the other to where I can at least just move to a city like ATL NY LA where I can now exponentially increase my opportunities.

As opposed to spending the next 15-18 months in school to come home to the same job prospects that I’m trying to escape just at 4-6 more $ per hour.
it'd b kinda foolish to drop school in favor of the chance of success, espc when it seems like you're already doin some of the things you want while bein in school.

ik there are stories of those who do exactly that and succeed, but there are exponentially more untold stories of those who fail at that stage

if you got something good goin then just keep with that til you see more success at your beats or whatever. if you start makin real money off of that, then consider the cost-benefit of dropping out. currently that $4-6 you're talking about is competing with not even a real monetary value, but just the hope of a real monetary value

if you're in a good enough financial position where that's fine for u, then go off

if u ain't, then don't

i bet you can dedicate more time to the things you want to do while being in school. spending less time on school (college is not that srs), ktt, whatever ur other vices are, etc.

·
Premium Member
68,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jug full of WATER said:
it'd b kinda foolish to drop school in favor of the chance of success, espc when it seems like you're already doin some of the things you want while bein in school.

ik there are stories of those who do exactly that and succeed, but there are exponentially more untold stories of those who fail at that stage

if you got something good goin then just keep with that til you see more success at your beats or whatever. if you start makin real money off of that, then consider the cost-benefit of dropping out. currently that $4-6 you're talking about is competing with not even a real monetary value, but just the hope of a real monetary value

if you're in a good enough financial position where that's fine for u, then go off

if u ain't, then don't

i bet you can dedicate more time to the things you want to do while being in school. spending less time on school (college is not that srs), ktt, whatever ur other vices are, etc.
I started August 2014 and have failed/dropped classes bc I’m doing what u said in the last paragraph tryna focus on the beat shit, school and keeping some money in my pocket

I guess I wanna just go 100% in one direction instead of 30% in 3

And wym by the $4-6 thing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts