Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is any experienced programmers on KTT who could give some advice/tips regarding programming.

Software Engineering is a post secondary field I'm strongly considering and want to start programming.

So any advice? Like, what languages to start with? Best tutorials/books?

I was thinking of starting with C++, Java, Python maybe? Is that not a good idea, too advanced to start with or what? I know languages aren't just a two week book think and your done, your always learning them, gaining more knowledge. I would just like to know where the best place to start for someone like me with 0 programming experience at this point. Anything would be appreciated..

also I think it would be cool to develop some Apps (ioS) /Flash/Indie Games, so any tips on that would be welcome!

Probably won't get any replies but o well!

Oh and if someone knows of a great programming forum/website that would be more helpful to me than KTT, feel free to share :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,109 Posts
Aaronious said:
Just wondering if there is any experienced programmers on KTT who could give some advice/tips regarding programming.

Software Engineering is a post secondary field I'm strongly considering and want to start programming.

So any advice? Like, what languages to start with? Best tutorials/books?

I was thinking of starting with C++, Java, Python maybe? Is that not a good idea, too advanced to start with or what? I know languages aren't just a two week book think and your done, your always learning them, gaining more knowledge. I would just like to know where the best place to start for someone like me with 0 programming experience at this point. Anything would be appreciated..

also I think it would be cool to develop some Apps (ioS) /Flash/Indie Games, so any tips on that would be welcome!

Probably won't get any replies but o well!

Oh and if someone knows of a great programming forum/website that would be more helpful to me than KTT, feel free to share :)
I'm not a great programmer but I know basic html/CSS/JavaScript. Do you know any of those because those are a great start. Also basic java is a good start as well as ruby and ruby on rails.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jreed91 said:
I'm not a great programmer but I know basic html/CSS/JavaScript. Do you know any of those because those are a great start. Also basic java is a good start as well as ruby and ruby on rails.
thanks :hat:

html/JavaScript are for website development and such right?

for Java, where do you learn it?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,109 Posts
Aaronious said:
thanks :hat:

html/JavaScript are for website development and such right?

for Java, where do you learn it?
Yea it's definitely a great start just to understand how programming works and is a lot simpler than many other languages. I think many people say to start with BASIC but it supposedly ruins your learning ability going forward. The best way to learn is either take classes or buy some books and lots of practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Start with C++, it's a good language to start with. Fortunately once you learn one high-level language it's very easy to learn others. Learn c++ and understand the concept of Object Oriented Programming, from there you can program apps using XCODE for IOS or Eclipse to program android applications in Java. I found it easier to pick up on the concepts of a language by learning c++ first then moving on to other languages.

And if you're looking into Web development then javascript is cool, not as complex as Java, but in my opinion its easier to start with a high level language and then learn scripting languages.

feel free to pm me and i'll see if i can find some good reference materials. After that it's all abou practice, come up with ideas and work from there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jreed91 said:
Yea it's definitely a great start just to understand how programming works and is a lot simpler than many other languages. I think many people say to start with BASIC but it supposedly ruins your learning ability going forward. The best way to learn is either take classes or buy some books and lots of practice.
Yeah my brother is a software engineer so I have his books and I will practise a lot this summer, thanks man :hat:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
moneyman232 said:
Start with C++, it's a good language to start with. Fortunately once you learn one high-level language it's very easy to learn others. Learn c++ and understand the concept of Object Oriented Programming, from there you can program apps using XCODE for IOS or Eclipse to program android applications in Java. I found it easier to pick up on the concepts of a language by learning c++ first then moving on to other languages.

And if you're looking into Web development then javascript is cool, not as complex as Java, but in my opinion its easier to start with a high level language and then learn scripting languages.

feel free to pm me and i'll see if i can find some good reference materials. After that it's all abou practice, come up with ideas and work from there.
Yeah C++ was one that interested me a lot, cause I think I can learn the basics of it and it would be a great one to learn now as it is advance and I can keep learning it for awhile compared to some of the others. I'll def pm you, thank you :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,140 Posts
You should start by learning some basics like HTML & CSS.

Try downloading the trial version of Expression Web 3( its on microsoft's site). Its a website creation software that introduces you to HTML and its easy to use. It lets you design pages as if it was a Word document but also lets you see the coding that goes behind it. Im currently taking a class on it. After that go more in depth into HTML/CSS and build your way up into C++ & Javascript. I highly recommend it.


Im studying Computer Developing, which is pretty much this. Im currently taking a class on Expression Web & its pretty easy. I know a bit of HTML so far thanks to this. The next  class I'll be taking is Web Programming I which is based on learning HTML & CSS.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,109 Posts
Chaval said:
You should start by learning some basics like HTML & CSS.

Try downloading the trial version of Expression Web 3( its on microsoft's site). Its a website creation software that introduces you to HTML and its easy to use. It lets you design pages as if it was a Word document but also lets you see the coding that goes behind it. Im currently taking a class on it. After that go more in depth into HTML/CSS and build your way up into C++ & Javascript. I highly recommend it.


Im studying Computer Developing, which is pretty much this. Im currently taking a class on Expression Web & its pretty easy. I know a bit of HTML so far thanks to this. The next  class I'll be taking is Web Programming I which is based on learning HTML & CSS.
I've never used that, is anything like dreamweaver? If it is I wouldn't recommend it. You should learn the basics of HTML first by just using a plain text editor so you understand the concepts. Then you should move on to a program to help speed up your workflow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,140 Posts
jreed91 said:
I've never used that, is anything like dreamweaver? If it is I wouldn't recommend it. You should learn the basics of HTML first by just using a plain text editor so you understand the concepts. Then you should move on to a program to help speed up your workflow.
Ive never used dreamweaver

I think its nice for an intro because it shows the coding while at the same time it lets you design the page youself. Before I took this class I hardly new about HTML but its prepared me for the 'actualy' HTML class. thats just me :dno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Chaval said:
what is javascript about btw? I'll be taking it the class in a few months
It's a scripting language for Web, a tier below something like Java, but it can really expand what you can do with a website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Chaval said:
is it hard to learn?
In my opinion no, Javascript is I think the fourth language i had to become familiar with for work. If you have any basis in another high level language it's a breeze to learn. The good thing about something like Javascript is that the syntax and rules are extremely close to Java, so if you know one you already have an idea of how the other works.
 
1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Top