Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the bullshit continues in the wonderful country we live in called America. A women is facing 4 years in jail for jay walking after her son was hit and killed by a drunk driver who only faced 6 months for a hit and run charge. An all white jury convinced her so now she is just waiting on sentencing. The court system keeps taking Ls this summer.

Article here
http://clutchmagonline.com/2011/07/after-drunk-driver-kills-child-mother-faces-three-years-in-prison/

After Drunk Driver Kills Child, Mother Faces Three Years in Prison

A grieving African-American mother in Georgia is facing the potential of more time in prison than the drunk driver who struck and killed her child and then fled the scene.

Raquel Nelson lost her four-year-old son while trying to shuttle him across a five-lane highway, along with two of her other children. Jerry Guy - a partially-blind man who has admitted to having consumed alcohol and painkillers beforehand - hit the young boy with his vehicle. The child later died of his injuries. Nelson and her daughter were also struck and suffered injuries.

An all-white jury has convicted Nelson of homicide by vehicle in the second degree, jaywalking and reckless conduct. She could serve up to three years in prison.

David Goldberg of Transportation for America expressed his outrage that the all-white jurors couldn't seem to place themselves in the shoes of a mother trying to provide essentials for her children while crossing a five-lane highway-which encourages speeding in a mixed-zoned community:

That's right: Because Nelson did not lug her exhausted little ones three-tenths of a mile from the bus stop to a traffic signal in order to cross five lanes of traffic, she is guilty of vehicular homicide. Because she did as her fellow bus riders, who crossed at the same time and place, and because she did what pedestrians will do every time - take the shortest reasonable path - she is guilty of vehicular homicide.

Meanwhile, the drunk driver, Guy - who was previously convicted of two-hit-and-runs in one day in 1997 - was initially charged with hit and run, first degree homicide by a vehicle and cruelty to children. But the charges were later dropped to simply hit and run. Guy served a six-month jail term and will spend the remainder of his five-year sentence on probation.

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
i stopped reading when you started talking about blacks and whites, which was like the third sentence.

there's a reason it's called a legal system and not a justice system. it serves its purpose far beyond most people's comprehension capabilities.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NickyEyes said:
i stopped reading when you started talking about blacks and whites, which was like the third sentence.

there's a reason it's called a legal system and not a justice system. it serves its purpose far beyond most people's comprehension capabilities.
Maybe you should actual read the entire article before commenting then. Once people are smart enough to open their eyes and realize there is 2 justice systems in the US. We can actually have a fair discussion on the so called "legal system" . The fact that there is still all white jury is pretty mind blogging to begin with, that shouldn't be possible in this day and time.

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
Spythe said:
Maybe you should actual read the entire article before commenting then. Once people are smart enough to open their eyes and realize there is 2 justice systems in the US. We can actually have a fair discussion on the so called "legal system" . The fact that there is still all white jury is pretty mind blogging to begin with, that shouldn't be possible in this day and time.
you really think you're gonna be able to have a good discussion about how there are legal systems for whites and then a separate unfair  legal systems for blacks in this country?

do you know how much goes into selecting a jury? it's a very thorough, strategic process, especially for a homicide case.

you have a much better argument if you were to say that the charges seem suspect. saying that it's the all white jury's fault is really stupid.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NickyEyes said:
you really think you're gonna be able to have a good discussion about how there are legal systems for whites and then a separate unfair  legal systems for blacks in this country?

do you know how much goes into selecting a jury? it's a very thorough, strategic process, especially for a homicide case.

you have a much better argument if you were to say that the charges seem suspect. saying that it's the all white jury's fault is really stupid.
I never said it was the all white jury's fault. I just don't understand how its trail by your PEERS when no one is the same race as you.

And I actually been selected to be on the jury it is one of the dumbest process I been a part. They ask you questions to make sure your not basis to the legal system and then those you on the jury.

I agree that the women should be punished for neglect since she did put her child in harm trying to cross a highway not a street. I just don't understand how a person admits to being drunk and on meds can only get 6 months for hit and run. Does a child life mean nothing? Does taking someone life when you clearly should not be operating a vehicle mean nothing?

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
so are you saying white and black people aren't equal? white people aren't peers of black people?

This is very similar to the Stallworth case. He was drunk driving and killed a jaywalker. Jaywalking is more powerful than people think. The convictions look stupid in comparison to each other in this case, but jaywalking almost makes it equally the victims fault.

I don't think jaywalking is as serious as some courts make it out to be, but this lady was really dumb for trying to drag several kids across a 5 lane highway. it's unfortunate.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NickyEyes said:
so are you saying white and black people aren't equal? white people aren't peers of black people?

This is very similar to the Stallworth case. He was drunk driving and killed a jaywalker. Jaywalking is more powerful than people think. The convictions look stupid in comparison to each other in this case, but jaywalking almost makes it equally the victims fault.

I don't think jaywalking is as serious as some courts make it out to be, but this lady was really dumb for trying to drag several kids across a 5 lane highway. it's unfortunate.
No I'm saying when people hear the term jury by peers they think of a group of all different races, different income backgrounds and different life experiences, an equal representative of the people in the state. If the state is 70% white, 10% black, 10% mexican, 10% asian their should be at least 1 black, 1 mexican, and 1 asian person on the jury.  If it was an all black jury, haspanic, asian, arabic I would say the same thing.

I just find it weird that no one seems to give a shit about jaywalking since people do it on a day to day basis but in the legal system they put it on a such a high platform when giving out a verdict. I saw this on Yahoo News can't find the actually article of what they are talking about on the 2nd part.

"A month after her son's death, and three days after the Atlanta Journal-Constitution ran a story called "Jaywalkers Take Deadly Risks," the Georgia Solicitor General's officer charged Nelson with homicide by vehicle and reckless conduct. She was convicted by a jury and will face sentencing next week, the AP reported. In an earlier jaywalking case, another mother was charged with involuntary manslaughter while the driver who hit her daughter was not charged."

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
NickyEyes said:
I don't think jaywalking is as serious some courts make it out to be, but this lady was really dumb for trying to drag several kids across a 5 lane highway. it's unfortunate.
Yup.

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
i had to look it up because my experience with vehicular manslaughter is limited, as i only study business law at this juncture in time. but vehicular manslaughter encompasses pedestrians, bicyclists, and even passengers - basically anyone who causes a death related to a vehicle.

Say, a person jumps out in the road to "play chicken" with a car, and that car swerves, gets in an accident and kills someone. That person who jumped out in the road will be charged with vehicular manslaughter, and rightfully so. jaywalking is considered the same thing.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NickyEyes said:
i had to look it up because my experience with vehicular manslaughter is limited, as i only study business law at this juncture in time. but vehicular manslaughter encompasses pedestrians, bicyclists, and even passengers - basically anyone who causes a death related to a vehicle.

Say, a person jumps out in the road to "play chicken" with a car, and that car swerves, gets in an accident and kills someone. That person who jumped out in the road will be charged with vehicular manslaughter, and rightfully so. jaywalking is considered the same thing.
I would actually like to see a case like that. Where someone plays chicken with a car, the car swerves to miss the person and kills someone else. I've yet to see one like that.

From personal experience I was in the car with my friend when the person driving in front of him slammed on his breaks(no idea why could of been someone running across the street) so my friend slammed on his break to prevent hitting the car in front of him. However the car behind us didn't have time to stop and rimmed us in the back. The person behind us ended up paying to fix my friend's car while the person that caused the entire accident just drove off, and got away scout free.

In conclusion the person that is playing chicken with the car could just run away from the screen of the accident and its the person driving the car that swerved into a person fault.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Amazing how the drunk driver, who actually hit and killed the kid, had his homicide charge dropped.

·
Registered
498 Posts
NickyEyes said:

there' a reason it' called a legal system and not a justice system. it serves its purpose far beyond most people' comprehension capabilities.
NickyEyes said:
so are you saying white and black people aren' equal? white people aren' peers of black people?

I don' think jaywalking is as serious as some courts make it out to be, but this lady was really dumb for trying to drag several kids across a 5 lane highway. it' unfortunate.
you should read revolutionary suicide. Huey p newton is at this party and he talks condescendingly towards this guy acting loud and bumps into him or something. Either way huey turns away from the man to end the conversation but the man grabs his arm and pulls him back. Huey says something smart and turns away once more, the man says something threatening or something but huey turns back for some reason to see the man reaching for a knife from his pocket. Huey either stabs the guy with his own knife or knocks him to the ground, i cant quite recall but the man is badly hurt, he survives. The cops bust the party and everyone runs, they either catch huey or the man knows him and is pressured to press charges. Either way huey is in court facing a jury of all white over 70 year olds. He stands up and announces he will not speak a word untill he faces a trial of his peers. Huey would have been likely been killed and reacted according to the situation and environment. How would that jury have anyway of understanding the situation apart from blacks killing blacks. (On phone)

·
Registered
15,236 Posts
There should of been one black person on the Jury (for culture reasons) but it sucks to say that she did break a law, and legally brought this open herself. Emotionally though, this is wrong, and the drunk driver should have much higher charges.

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
TheRedSniper said:
you should read revolutionary suicide. Huey p newton is at this party and he talks condescendingly towards this guy acting loud and bumps into him or something. Either way huey turns away from the man to end the conversation but the man grabs his arm and pulls him back. Huey says something smart and turns away once more, the man says something threatening or something but huey turns back for some reason to see the man reaching for a knife from his pocket. Huey either stabs the guy with his own knife or knocks him to the ground, i cant quite recall but the man is badly hurt, he survives. The cops bust the party and everyone runs, they either catch huey or the man knows him and is pressured to press charges. Either way huey is in court facing a jury of all white over 70 year olds. He stands up and announces he will not speak a word untill he faces a trial of his peers. Huey would have been likely been killed and reacted according to the situation and environment. How would that jury have anyway of understanding the situation apart from blacks killing blacks. (On phone)
the guy who created the black panthers? no thanks.

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
looks like the driver wasn't legitimately found to be drunk. he admitted to having a few beers earlier in the day. he also was on legally prescribed pills.

if anything complain about the fact that he's partially blind. (albeit not blind enough to be barred from driving)

·
Registered
498 Posts
NickyEyes said:
the guy who created the black panthers? no thanks.
apart from being a very intruiging and entertaining read, huey is a magnificent human being. Wonderfully intelligent, in the face of so much inequity he bares no racial or cultural prejudice. He always stood firm in his view that the party must at all times act within the law. Even when the other higher ups insisted on more radical violent methods, huey held them accountable. He stood against inequality and changed the world for the better, but was assassinated before he could change it for good. The black panther party was started to enlighten and empower. They stood for equality and justice. A 12 year old black child was shot and killed from behind as he ran in fear of a white police officer. The cop murdered the unarmed child because he felt "threatened" and the legal system allowed police to commit these Heinus acts with no fear of reprisal. That incident sparked the black panther movement. Huey stood for justice. Surely you must appreciate that as you study law. :oblivious: just imagine huey is white :fly:

·
Registered
32,365 Posts
At first i was appalled when i read the first few sentences.

Then i realized this was about race  :cmon:

This is unfortunate, but black or white this was going to happen. dont walk across a highway, i know i dont.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
westside said:
Amazing how the drunk driver, who actually hit and killed the kid, had his homicide charge dropped.
And Casey Anthony gets away with it too... Smh. The Judicial system is fucked up.

G

·
NickyEyes said:
she may have been dumb for doing this but she still doesn't deserve to serve jail time all because a drunk driver killed her kid and basically got away with it.....the legal system is all fucked up due to its instability and that the outcome of trials depend on who the judge and the jury consist of....who knows? lots of people in Georgia are racist and you can't sit there and say their not....so was this case decided by the color of the mothers skin...we may never know...but this is just a theory that you can't be so fast to deny

1 - 20 of 20 Posts