Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow, Kanye need to read this. It's just so true. While everyone is following the Wal-Mart way (First thing that came to my mind is Nas with his album title), you could be the one that says :  "Fuck Wal-Mart and the whole crew".

·
Registered
610 Posts
Note: I'm a musical jackass. So I'm going to make this statement:

Did this guy really just include Fugazi and Taylor Swift in the same sentence?

Now, back into "regular joe" mode:
I agree.

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
kari_801 said:
Wow, Kanye need to read this. It's just so true. While everyone is following the Wal-Mart way (First thing that came to my mind is Nas with his album title), you could be the one that says :  "Fuck Wal-Mart and the whole crew".
Green Day already did this with 21st Century Breakdown..

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
kari_801 said:

·
Banned
35,368 Posts
Nicely said. Ye should do it. Fuck Wal-Mart.
On a side note I laughed at this "There are very few superstars in 2010. You, Jay Z, Lady Gaga, 50 Cent?" lol that clown ain't no superstar.

·
Read Only
594 Posts
I don't understand all of this complaining about Walmart.  They can sell whatever the hell they want.  And frankly, I can guarantee you that Kanye's threatening to not supply his album to them will mean nothing.  Walmart doesn't need Ye's album for anything; it's laughable to think that the world's #1 Fortune 500 company is concerned with selling it.

The author of that post tries to make it seem like people outside of big cities will have no ability to buy the album, but that's not true.  They can go to Target.  Or better yet, they can buy it online.  There's no crippling of artistic expression here.  Walmart just has standards, as does every other self-respecting company.

I think the album cover is hilarious, but to think that Walmart is going to kiss Kanye's ass is even more hilarious to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Illmatic Dropout said:
Note: I'm a musical jackass. So I'm going to make this statement:

Did this guy really just include Fugazi and Taylor Swift in the same sentence?

Now, back into "regular joe" mode:
I agree.
As the writer of the piece let me first say, thanks to the OP for posting this link. I too hope that Kanye reads it. Also I'd like to say that while I'm not always a fan of how dude deals with stuff on a personal level I respect the hell out of his art and he's probably my favorite producer in hip hop. Dude has never dropped anything that wasn't classic, including the G.O.O.D. Friday material.

Illmatic Dropout: The Taylor Swift name drop was a little joke about artists Kanye might want to help.

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
I hate Wal-Mart and their censorship, anyhow.

I honestly don't buy my albums from any of their stores.

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
EL-RAFA said:
When i first read the title i thought it was that 40 year old chick from klive who wrote letters to kanye.
Haha!!  :h5:

Aysia is a legend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I'm curious about something based on the response we've gotten from this letter. Since Monday I've had a bunch of hate mail and spam saying we're idiots for thinking Twitter isn't the best place for this to go. This morning I had this comment.

"a few things. and I’ll start from the bottom, twitter is about the biggest public stage anybody has today. the quickest and largest way to get a message out. so you have no point there.

“It makes me sad to see you waste the potential for a genuine opportunity to raise public awareness about the sad state of music retail by simply complaining on your Twitter. You’ve got the Power right Kanye? Fucking use it.”

dude what do you think twitter is? he has like a gazillion followers. that shit is POWER. twitter goes a long way.

also Kanye does not have more money than god.

fuck you money isnt 40 million dollars.

I’d say fuck you money has to be above a couple hundred milli. Kanye can spend his net worth in a couple years easily . I say all that to say the dude still has to make a living. i.e. he has to worry about shit like if wal-mart will sell his record or not. Kanye West vs. Walmart I’m betting WalMart wins every time. believe that.

you sound like a teenager with teenage ideals. and you probably are. and I for sure I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this and writing a reply."

to which I replied

"Thanks for reading and responding.

I’m a 26 year old college graduate. My ideals are different that a lot of people, but they’re by no means teenage. And yeah, 40 million is fuck you money. Maybe you can’t live off 40 million if you get diamonds in your teeth every year, but the idea that it’s chump change is infantile.

Also just for the record in 2008 West made 30 million and in 2009 he made 25 million, according to Forbes Magazine.

Twitter doesn’t raise public awareness the same way that going on TV and making a national story out of something does, it’s just preaching to the people who already like you and listen to you. Kanye’s legendary statement “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” wouldn’t have had the same impact if he’d Tweeted it. There was more to his statement than just 140 characters.

“I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family and they say we are looting, you see a white family and they say they are looking for food. And, you know, its been five days because most of the people ARE black. And even for me to complain, I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I’m calling my business manager right to see what is the biggest amount I can give. And just to imagine, if I was down there and those are my people down there. If there is anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help about the way America is set up the help the poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. Red cross is doing as much as they can. We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way. And now they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us.

George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”

Man, I wish he could have Tweeted that! Then the majority of Americans, you know the 306 million people who don’t follow his Twitter, wouldn’t have had to face a harsh reality. Thank God for the biggest public stage on Earth. Other than say NBC’s Nightly News which has an average of 5 million people watching a night. Slightly bigger than West’s 1.4 million Twitter followers.

My point stands."

Considering the cultural impact everything Kanye West does has wouldn't it makes sense to use his far reaching voice to hit folks beyond his Twitter feed? There are tons of people who subscribe to Twitter feeds without actually reading their Twitter, they're just doing it in hopes of building their own readership. I'm just curious. Thanks for keeping this thread so even tempered so far and to the OP for posting to begin with.

·
Premium Member
52,731 Posts
the1stfive said:
So I'm curious about something based on the response we've gotten from this letter. Since Monday I've had a bunch of hate mail and spam saying we're idiots for thinking Twitter isn't the best place for this to go. This morning I had this comment.

"a few things. and I’ll start from the bottom, twitter is about the biggest public stage anybody has today. the quickest and largest way to get a message out. so you have no point there.

“It makes me sad to see you waste the potential for a genuine opportunity to raise public awareness about the sad state of music retail by simply complaining on your Twitter. You’ve got the Power right Kanye? Fucking use it.”

dude what do you think twitter is? he has like a gazillion followers. that shit is POWER. twitter goes a long way.

also Kanye does not have more money than god.

fuck you money isnt 40 million dollars.

I’d say fuck you money has to be above a couple hundred milli. Kanye can spend his net worth in a couple years easily . I say all that to say the dude still has to make a living. i.e. he has to worry about shit like if wal-mart will sell his record or not. Kanye West vs. Walmart I’m betting WalMart wins every time. believe that.

you sound like a teenager with teenage ideals. and you probably are. and I for sure I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this and writing a reply."

to which I replied

"Thanks for reading and responding.

I’m a 26 year old college graduate. My ideals are different that a lot of people, but they’re by no means teenage. And yeah, 40 million is fuck you money. Maybe you can’t live off 40 million if you get diamonds in your teeth every year, but the idea that it’s chump change is infantile.

Also just for the record in 2008 West made 30 million and in 2009 he made 25 million, according to Forbes Magazine.

Twitter doesn’t raise public awareness the same way that going on TV and making a national story out of something does, it’s just preaching to the people who already like you and listen to you. Kanye’s legendary statement “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” wouldn’t have had the same impact if he’d Tweeted it. There was more to his statement than just 140 characters.

“I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family and they say we are looting, you see a white family and they say they are looking for food. And, you know, its been five days because most of the people ARE black. And even for me to complain, I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I’m calling my business manager right to see what is the biggest amount I can give. And just to imagine, if I was down there and those are my people down there. If there is anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help about the way America is set up the help the poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. Red cross is doing as much as they can. We already realize a lot of the people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way. And now they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us.

George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”

Man, I wish he could have Tweeted that! Then the majority of Americans, you know the 306 million people who don’t follow his Twitter, wouldn’t have had to face a harsh reality. Thank God for the biggest public stage on Earth. Other than say NBC’s Nightly News which has an average of 5 million people watching a night. Slightly bigger than West’s 1.4 million Twitter followers.

My point stands."

Considering the cultural impact everything Kanye West does has wouldn't it makes sense to use his far reaching voice to hit folks beyond his Twitter feed? There are tons of people who subscribe to Twitter feeds without actually reading their Twitter, they're just doing it in hopes of building their own readership. I'm just curious. Thanks for keeping this thread so even tempered so far and to the OP for posting to begin with.
Get'em

1 - 20 of 36 Posts