Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of an idea like this? I read an idea like this in the New York Times on Sunday and did an analysis of my own right here: http://bit.ly/pYfZq1

What do you guys think? Could it actually work and help raise some revenues? Right now we basically subsidize crappy food by subsidizing corn, which can be turned into high fructose corn syrup, keeping prices artificially low.

But if we instead subsidized fresh fruits and vegetables and levied a tax against junk foods and things that are bad for us, we would not only bring in revenue during an economic downturn but also make healthier and better food more easily available to the poor.

I mean, look at these numbers:
1. According to a professor at Columbia University, a one-cent per ounce tax on sugar-laced beverages in the state of New York could save up to $3 billion in health care costs over ten years and could bring in $1 billion annually to the state
2. A two-cent tax per ounce in the state of Illinois could reduce obesity by 18%, save $350 million and bring in over $800 million in tax revenue every year
3. If implemented nationally, the United States could see revenues of $13 billion a year while cutting consumption up to 24%
4. A 20% increase in the price of sugary drinks could result in a 20% decrease in consumption, which could prevent up to 1.5 million Americans from becoming obese and 400,000 from being diagnosed with diabetes, which could save $30 billion

·
Banned
3,776 Posts
No I don't want to be taxed more due to obese people.
Not my fault their genetically ungifted and can't break unhealthy eating habits.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did not read your full analysis but i agree with your idea.

The reality of the situation is that  the agricultural committee in the house would not allow for this.  There are too many iron triangles within politics that prevent these seemingly simple solutions  to problems from ever being implemented.

Too much money is tied into the corn syrup industry for things to change any time soon.
Politics is powerful.

·
Registered
14,714 Posts
i dont smoke i dont drink i dont have sex but drinking soda and eating lil debbies are my thing dont screw it up for me

·
Premium Member
33,300 Posts
2. A two-cent tax per ounce in the state of Illinois could reduce obesity by 18%, save $350 million and bring in over $800 million in tax revenue every year

^^ this seems like very wishful thinking. cut down obesity by 18% because some things cost a few extra cents?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I don't agree at all, taxing soda and snacks is just raising cost for the middle/low class to pay more money on the only shit they can afford to begin with. A lot of people eat unhealthy food because they can not afford healthy food. If healthy food was actually cheaper that would solve the obesity and health issue in American. Why buy a healthy sub from subway for 4 dollars when you can get 4 cheese burgers for 4 dollars.

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
Spythe said:
I don't agree at all, taxing soda and snacks is just raising cost for the middle/low class to pay more money on the only shit they can afford to begin with. A lot of people eat unhealthy food because they can not afford healthy food. If healthy food was actually cheaper that would solve the obesity and health issue in American. Why buy a healthy sub from subway for 4 dollars when you can get 4 cheese burgers for 4 dollars.
***** water costs less than soda

·
Banned
24,748 Posts
I really thought the article was excellent, but overly optimistic in the immediate future. This article has generated a lot of press, so it is exciting to see how this will play out. No doubt things like this have been proposed before, but it seems to be gaining more traction now. It's just a matter of how fast or how far the measures will be allowed to be taken into serious consideration.

·
Banned
24,748 Posts
Spythe said:
That's what a large portion of the article is about..............The very solution you just stated.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Signature Ligature said:
That's what a large portion of the article is about..............The very solution you just stated.
Guess I will go read the article I just read what he posted not the actually article

·
Premium Member
47,257 Posts
Why don't I just give the government my money?

Should I make the cheque out to Mr. Obama or what?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts