Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this would be the best place to ask for advice. I have dabbled in recreational production before (mostly messing around on FL. I've chosen to want to invest some of my time into actual music production, but don't know the best way to start. Is FL Studio or Logic recommended? Is a KORG MicroKey keyboard sufficient enough for beat making, or is there something better? Any help from a fellow KTT'er would be genuinely appreciated. I'd rather obtain practical advice from an experienced producer here than a lot of other sources, so shoutout CS. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
theCooler said:
I figured this would be the best place to ask for advice. I have dabbled in recreational production before (mostly messing around on FL. I've chosen to want to invest some of my time into actual music production, but don't know the best way to start. Is FL Studio or Logic recommended? Is a KORG MicroKey keyboard sufficient enough for beat making, or is there something better? Any help from a fellow KTT'er would be genuinely appreciated. I'd rather obtain practical advice from an experienced producer here than a lot of other sources, so shoutout CS. Thanks!
I'm by no means an experienced producer, just starting out like you! but sometimes u can be waiting awhile for replies in this section so I'll let you know what I think

Your keyboard is fine, you have a few octaves to play with as well as some other basic controls eg modwheel for modulating synths etc

Software is entirely your choice, maybe stick with FL as you've used it before? You could get up and running quicker, also logic is mac only

Google and YouTube are your bestest friends, you'll get 95% of your guidance from there, watch lots of tutorials, it's a pretty steep learning curve to begin with but that's also the fun part!

Be sure to invest some time in learning basic music theory and sound design, that would help your beats sound just generally better, also read up on mixing, to give your beats a more cohesive, professional sound

Most importantly, have fun :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Oh also another important point is, idk what your speakers/headphones set up is but it's really important to not skimp out here, get some audio technica ath-m50s (widely regarded as the best in this price bracket) or some decent studio monitors, this is crucial to hearing everything you're doing without any bias

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IronWillyChatha said:
I'm by no means an experienced producer, just starting out like you! but sometimes u can be waiting awhile for replies in this section so I'll let you know what I think

Your keyboard is fine, you have a few octaves to play with as well as some other basic controls eg modwheel for modulating synths etc

Software is entirely your choice, maybe stick with FL as you've used it before? You could get up and running quicker, also logic is mac only

Google and YouTube are your bestest friends, you'll get 95% of your guidance from there, watch lots of tutorials, it's a pretty steep learning curve to begin with but that's also the fun part!

Be sure to invest some time in learning basic music theory and sound design, that would help your beats sound just generally better, also read up on mixing, to give your beats a more cohesive, professional sound

Most importantly, have fun :)
Great advice! Thanks a lot for the breakdown. I haven't had any formal training within music besides earlier on with the piano, but primarily always focused more on the vocal portion. It's just recently I've been wanting to turn more towards the production side. I have a PC with FL and a Mac with Logic loaded up; would you personally recommend one over the other? Thanks a bunch man.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
theCooler said:
Great advice! Thanks a lot for the breakdown. I haven't had any formal training within music besides earlier on with the piano, but primarily always focused more on the vocal portion. It's just recently I've been wanting to turn more towards the production side. I have a PC with FL and a Mac with Logic loaded up; would you personally recommend one over the other? Thanks a bunch man.
I'm not sure, I've only ever used Logic, but FL seems to be very popular with beginners, your choice I guess, no reason why you couldn't try the other out further down the line

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IronWillyChatha said:
I'm not sure, I've only ever used Logic, but FL seems to be very popular with beginners, your choice I guess, no reason why you couldn't try the other out further down the line
Thanks a bunch man.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd suggest downloading the demos of all the popular DAWs and seeing which you prefer.

From personal experience, I'd start with FL Studio, Logic, Bitwig & Studio One.

·
Registered
81 Posts
im only new also but imo I think ableton is a better option. I find due to the pattern system of fruity loops you get lazy or follow a loop of pattern based system rather than thinking more progressively and creatively with your music. If your inputting each section as time goes by manually you make more variety and stuff well I do. Its to easy and more hassle to be chopping changing things even slight varations on melody notes etc just to birghten a piece up..in FLS things like that i often dont bother as im to busy copy pasting loops..Just personal opinion. Thats why im gonna go back to ableton i reckon.

As for music just download vst, nexuz, fm8, massive etc..then online find drum samples.

Read up on google, youtube for the type of genre you want to produce. And production tips.

It really boils down to only a few factors when making track.

drums/beats
bass
chords-harmony
leads-melody
fx

study each of these areas.

I have a midi controller but more often seem to be just inputting notes in the piano roll.  I can 'mentalise' the sounds im making as i input each note..but playing live can spawn new ideas and i also do that time to time,

I find the automations system on FLS also a bit annoying and easier to work with on ableton and reason.

·
0 Posts
theCooler said:
don't buy anything right now. download a demo of any DAW you want to use, and just start learning. don't post up every single beat you make - the first 100 or so are going to be trash, that's just the way it is. slowly but surely you will start to learn the ins and outs of it and if you stick with it, you will start to develop your sound.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for all the responses guys, really appreciate it. Can't wait to test some sounds out as soon as possible. Just another question; when did you guys start out producing, if you don't mind? I turned 21 this year, and the majority of my time is split between school and a full time internship. Any such thing as too late to start? Hearing people that started around 12,13.. bit concerning.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i know man im in 20s and i started only 6 months ago. I was on a forum listening to some other guys tunes and was like wow good tunes hope i can get that good..turns out one was 12, another 14 and a 16 year old haha i give up...

·
0 Posts
theCooler said:
Thanks a lot for all the responses guys, really appreciate it. Can't wait to test some sounds out as soon as possible. Just another question; when did you guys start out producing, if you don't mind? I turned 21 this year, and the majority of my time is split between school and a full time internship. Any such thing as too late to start? Hearing people that started around 12,13.. bit concerning.
no such thing. I start when I was 19.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jmsay said:
i know man im in 20s and i started only 6 months ago. I was on a forum listening to some other guys tunes and was like wow good tunes hope i can get that good..turns out one was 12, another 14 and a 16 year old haha i give up...
Trust me man, hearing some of the ages of these producers, it's insane. Not to say someone can't achieve quicker progression with the right resources/amount of time invested, just a lot harder the older you get.

mjNichols said:
no such thing. I start when I was 19.
How many years have you put in so far? Would love to hear some material as well. Appreciate all the feedback!

·
Registered
81 Posts
theCooler said:
Trust me man, hearing some of the ages of these producers, it's insane. Not to say someone can't achieve quicker progression with the right resources/amount of time invested, just a lot harder the older you get.

How many years have you put in so far? Would love to hear some material as well. Appreciate all the feedback!
check my latest album i been at it 6 months.

http://jamze.bandcamp.com/album/the-rise-of-the-storm

or my soundcloud..http://soundcloud.com/jk23777

Tell me what you think im still in very early learning stages and this is my standard of music at present.

Now if I were 14,15 etc then I could forsee by the age of 19-21 with dedication I would be very pro level.

Off course when i was up to 20 I would have little time to commit as i had freinds, nights out, school, sports, parties, video games etc..

So one could say that older person can work harder on the task and with more effort if they wish, depends on scenario also, if busy. Im unemployed, no gf, no kids and loadsa free time. So this is just like being a 15 year old kid on summer holiday.

But anyway point is starting young is far better these 14 year olds will make great tracks by 20 and amazing tracks by 25-30 if they stick at it.

Who wants to hear some 40 year old dude when 20 year olds are making fly tunbes.

Well good music is good music but in the 'pop' industy youth is important part of the fashion.

So unless you making jazz music lol best to be young.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jmsay said:
check my latest album i been at it 6 months.

http://jamze.bandcamp.com/album/the-rise-of-the-storm

or my soundcloud..http://soundcloud.com/jk23777

Tell me what you think im still in very early learning stages and this is my standard of music at present.

Now if I were 14,15 etc then I could forsee by the age of 19-21 with dedication I would be very pro level.

Off course when i was up to 20 I would have little time to commit as i had freinds, nights out, school, sports, parties, video games etc..

So one could say that older person can work harder on the task and with more effort if they wish, depends on scenario also, if busy. Im unemployed, no gf, no kids and loadsa free time. So this is just like being a 15 year old kid on summer holiday.

But anyway point is starting young is far better these 14 year olds will make great tracks by 20 and amazing tracks by 25-30 if they stick at it.

Who wants to hear some 40 year old dude when 20 year olds are making fly tunbes.

Well good music is good music but in the 'pop' industy youth is important part of the fashion.

So unless you making jazz music lol best to be young.
Dope stuff man, that's a lot of progression for 6 months. What age did you start at? I bumped into the Weeknd's producer as well as Boi1da last night, dope seeing how these guys made a come up in the industry, but the commitment is clear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
theCooler said:
Dope stuff man, that's a lot of progression for 6 months. What age did you start at? I bumped into the Weeknd's producer as well as Boi1da last night, dope seeing how these guys made a come up in the industry, but the commitment is clear.
who are these guys u mention? Im not with new music at all ironically hence my music kinda old skool vibes.

Im in my 20s and i been doing this 6 months. But i learned guitar and basic music theory when young so not a newbie to making music just making beats.

Glad u enjoyed some off it. BUt you can see thats me now imagine I was 14 by time 20 id be damn good lol, no ego just saying..whereas now ill be old fuker by time im making great pro trax

1 - 20 of 20 Posts